Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Heater for enclosed trailer

huntin24/7

I got my 6x12 enclosed trailer spray insulated yesterday so I can use it to sleep in on late season hunts. It looks like he did a good job, and I don’t think it’ll take too much to keep it warm. Any recommendations for an electric heater or heating options?

I use a small electric heater in my 7x12 on a thermostat. We keep the roof vents cracked open so air is constantly moving from the side vent up and out. Keeps the O2 level good and expels moisture. Even with that condensation on any metal or aluminum is still a problem.

I would not want to run a propane heater. Too much heat and condensation in such a small space.

Thanks addicting. Good to know. Most of it won’t be exposed as I have paneling. It doesn’t have a vent yet. Definitely not messing with propane. It’s not a big trailer and it is sealed well, so I’m leaning toward a small electric heater. I feel like that will be plenty to keep it heated.

Add a side vent and a roof vent, it really helps dry things out as you sleep. Putting warm wet clothes on from the prior days hunt is a sure way to ruin start of a new day.

Electric heater powered by a small inverter generator that is 100' away is my advice.

Never use propane unless you want to die.

I just had window slots cut/framed in my trailer and will have the int and ext spray insulated in a week or so. For heat, I am just going to use one of the below.

I still have a lot to do to it to get it ready for opener in month from now... finger crossed I am able to complete it.

1597933777160.png

a typical buddy heater works well in my 7x14 insulated trailer. we ran it last year out on lake winnie in sub zero weather and it kept the trailer above 40 degrees set on low. vents are key. moisture builds up big time especially overnight when sleeping. i have a roof vent i crack open about 1" and a window on each side i crack open 1" as well. also, don't forget to install carbon monoxide detectors and place them near the floor, not the roof as this gas will sink. i have mine placed 1' from the floor.

I used a Mr. Heater in my converted 2 horse trailer. Turned it on for about 20 minutes before going to bed and turned it off. Turned it back on in the morning to get dressed. +1 on condensation prevention by have adequate ventilation.

ive used a big buddy with success ,but it does condensate some,,i installed a outside vented propane heater in my 7x14 and it works great even to -10 f on a late cow hunt i was doin last dec,,,cant remember the brand off the top of my head,,but it works great,,has no blower.

a typical buddy heater works well in my 7x14 insulated trailer. we ran it last year out on lake winnie in sub zero weather and it kept the trailer above 40 degrees set on low. vents are key. moisture builds up big time especially overnight when sleeping. i have a roof vent i crack open about 1" and a window on each side i crack open 1" as well. also, don't forget to install carbon monoxide detectors and place them near the floor, not the roof as this gas will sink. i have mine placed 1' from the floor.
Not trying to make you look bad or anything, I enjoy sharing knowledge

CO is almost the exact same specific weight as air and can mix freely with air. Because of these two main reasons CO has been tested and shown to fill a room equally, not in layers like most people were taught.

So, the detector 1' above the floor is just as good as one 1' below the ceiling.

Just thought I'd share, but I second having a detector in the trailer so you wake up to go hunting

Not trying to make you look bad or anything, I enjoy sharing knowledge

CO is almost the exact same specific weight as air and can mix freely with air. Because of these two main reasons CO has been tested and shown to fill a room equally, not in layers like most people were taught.

So, the detector 1' above the floor is just as good as one 1' below the ceiling.

Just thought I'd share, but I second having a detector in the trailer so you wake up to go hunting
Very interesting. Not saying you're wrong either, the instructions on the ones I bought did say specifically to locate them near the floor. I thought this was odd and did a bit of Google searching and found that the general consensus was to locate near the floor. Guess we need mythbusters.

Very interesting. Not saying you're wrong either, the instructions on the ones I bought did say specifically to locate them near the floor. I thought this was odd and did a bit of Google searching and found that the general consensus was to locate near the floor. Guess we need mythbusters.
This article may shed some light.

But it's also dependent on the temp if CO will rise or fall at first.

At the end of the day, either way mounting low is safe. That's where I put my home units my self

This article may shed some light.

But it's also dependent on the temp if CO will rise or fall at first.

At the end of the day, either way mounting low is safe. That's where I put my home units my self
So basically install them where you want :) sounds good. With the vents I keep open, ive never had one go off yet thankfully.

If you've got a source of electricity, stick with it as the safest option. Only real threat is if the heater tips over and starts a fire.
The modern RV industry uses a CO detector in line with a power vented propane heater for a reason. If the CO detector senses CO, it shuts the heater off. Also, combustion air is drawn from the outside, and exhaust air is removed by a fan. This combination is the safest way to go with an internal propane heater.
I've used a Buddy heater in an enclosed trailer and the fact I am alive to write about it is proof that it can be done. In my younger, dumber days, I've also ridden a motorcycle at over 100 mph, again, proof that it can be done. Would I do either now knowing the risks involved? NO.
Unvented combustion heaters in enclosed spaces are one mistake away from causing a death. Assess the risks and do what you are comfortable with, knowing that many things in life do not come with a do-over, or reset button.

google up chinese diesel heaters. Big with the overlanding crowd and truckers.
I use one of these for my ice shack. Unbelievable how well they work. I've become really sensitive to propane fumes in the last few years, and this has been a game changer.

Back