Caribou Gear

Mr buddy heater for tent camping

I am another one in the no heat after lights out needed. We dampen the wood stove down as low as possible right before bed and then fire it up first thing in the morning. I use a big 4" pad, a -30 ve Browning sleeping bag (cheap and bulky but waaaarm) and a Montana Canvas bed roll. I have been in that set up down to -15 and have never been chilly. Sleep system is definitely where to address warmth.
You will find out who has the shittiest bag at hunting camp. They will be up feeding the stove st night. mtmuley

You will find out who has the shittiest bag at hunting camp. They will be up feeding the stove st night. mtmuley
Even better, finding out the biggest guy gets claustrophobic in his first attempt at a double sleeping bag. Threatens to leave in the middle of the night and walk 7 miles back to the boat ramp...Ft Peck, November, -20, frozen boat.
Not just a little claustrophobic either, twitchy , wild- eyed. We had to talk him down from the ledge.
Dunno, we might have cranked Mr.Heater to ease his irrational behavior at 1 a.m.
Still bust his balls.

Even better, finding out the biggest guy gets claustrophobic in his first attempt at a double sleeping bag. Threatens to leave in the middle of the night and walk 7 miles back to the boat ramp...Ft Peck, November, -20, frozen boat.
Not just a little claustrophobic either, twitchy , wild- eyed. We had to talk him down from the ledge.
Dunno, we might have cranked Mr.Heater to ease his irrational behavior at 1 a.m.
Still bust his balls.
Yikes. mtmuley

At what altitude will the buddy heater quit? I’ve never had my big buddy quit and we have been to 7000 with it before.

At what altitude will the buddy heater quit? I’ve never had my big buddy quit and we have been to 7000 with it before.
I think they say 8000’. Mine definitely didn’t work at 10000’. Flame fluttered and expired within 10 seconds.

We used ours in the bighorns at around 8500-9000’. Worked great. Looks like I’ll keep playing it safe and figure out a better way to stay warm.

Guilty as charged. My bag is the one thing I really need to upgrade but can’t decide what the hell to get.

I’ve used them in tents before and even in my cabin but run several detectors. Been using them in the cabin for about a decade now sometimes during the night if the power is out and I can’t run the electric heater.

I understand the concern though and don’t fault anyone for not wanting to use them. I did have a pack rat build a nest in one and it went up in flames when I lit it. That was fun.

We don't run ours at night, but it is within arms reach so it can be lit in the AM without getting out of the bag. We had no problem with it last year in Wyoming at about 8500', but the guy from MN who was with us, his Yetti Ice fishing trailer had issues with both the furnace and oven. Our heater mounts on a 5 gal tank and I built a metal rack that sits above the heater to heat breakfast burritos and dry gloves, etc. Works pretty slick. My hunting buddy's wife made us get a CO2 detector, but it has never gone off. This is in a 10x12 wall tent.

We ran the buddy with added co detector when it got cold one night in Wyoming. Other nights we just used it to prewarm before bed and at wake up. Must admit I didn’t sleep well the night we ran it through. Kept worrying about waking up dead and not getting an elk

I don't know if this will help, but its my experience and offers more information.
From December through mid March once there's safe ice, I spend a significant amount of time spearing pike. My shelter is one of the portable hubs, Eskimo Quickfish 3i, that is 70"×70"×80". I run a Big Buddy Mr Heater at a setting that regardless of outside temperature, inside I am comfortable in a hoodie, jeans and wool socks. The longest I've sat is 10 hours. The only times I open the door is when I need to step out to take a leak. The CO detector has never gone off nor has the heater kicked off.
I've camped out on shore with the same setup but with a cot & sleeping bag added. The temp outside hit -25°, inside low was 59°. Those of our group that went to hotels woke up to frozen pipes, trucks that wouldn't start. It was one of the most comfortable nights of sleep I can recall.

Knowing that has been my experience, I don't hesitate to run the Big Buddy at night in my Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6 person, but to give my wife peace of mind I accepted the two CO detectors.

I'd not fault anyone for not running a Mr Heater for any reason they choose, nor for using one. It's a personal decision.

We’ve never run a heater all night. Too dangerous. We just take an appropriate sleep system and when it’s real cold I add my fleece balaclava. I’ve also used a puffy coat inside the bag but you may eventually get too hot.

In about 70/71 I worked for the forest service in search and destroy, we worked alone but on a block system, with two to three men per block, depending on size. Usually there would be 5 to 6 huts on the valley floor and above the tree line we had mostly bivis, more like dog boxes, we called them that. To be successful one needed to be on the tops of the range by daylight, like 4am, and if you stayed on the valley floor it took an hour of fast pace to break to the open above timberline. This particular day I crossed the range and dropped down to a bivi,about 3 pm and very hungry as I'd not had breakfast. Scoffed down a heated tin of sausages and gravy and then dozed off with the kerosene cooker left to warm the place as my body was starting to shut down. I woke to a foggy feeling but do you think I could move, I could not move. My mind had some presence as it knew that I had to open that door for fresh air. It took superhuman effort to throw myself off the bunk and smash the door with my fist as I hit the floor. The reason I'm writing this is because the was a wee vent on one end up under the roof.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back