Mowing down cottonwoods on state land?

twodot

Have a weekender next door. He is a real peace of work beyond words.
There is a parcel of State property that adjoins us. It was all grown up in cottonwood and weeds, buck brush since the 2011 flood of the Musselshell. Best pheasant turkey and whitetail habitat around. Today I come in from hunting and he has his son in law on a tractor bushhogging the state acreage down to bare dirt.
I went down and asked the kid if he had a permit to do that? He told me his father in law told him to do it. I asked his name, he would not tell me so I told him I would take his picture to go with my report in the morning. Am I wrong to not want this "butt circle" next door to use a piece of adjoining state like it is his own? Comments?

call it in with a nice picture, it's one thing to cut some firewood or a small shooting lane but mowing down needs a phone call

I'm like the other guys IMO. That land needs that new growth it can take years to grow that habitat they are mowing down like it's grass. And on top of that it is the states property and they shouldn't be mowing or taking care of that property bad thing is the damage is done maybe with all the rain the cottonwoods can get another start.

Thanks everyone. I was just trying to make sure that it was not just me thinking this was stepping far over the line of "what to do on public ground".
Bulldog who is Clive, with the state?
I am always very hesitant to call the law on anyone for any reason. I have never seen any good come of it, and as of the time that I became aware this latest abuse, most of the damage was done.
This guy is the poster boy for bad sportsmen, he is one giant moving violation in everything he does.

I can understand hedging with a neighbor but this sounds like a blatant act which should not be disregarded. Sucks having douche bag neighbors. Sick em!

Clive Rooney is the DNRC area manager out of Lewistown. What would likely happen is that they'd send one of the Range crew (either Brandon or Bill) and that guy would get a slap on the wrist equivalent to a form letter

[ What would likely happen is that they'd send one of the Range crew (either Brandon or Bill) and that guy would get a slap on the wrist equivalent to a form letter[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That would be one of the many reasons that I gave up calling the law years ago. Enforcing laws on stuff like this is very tough for them.

I do however have a bit of a plan for some personal satisfaction
This guy hates people, he hates me, he hates you, he loves to hate. His number one {butt circle buddy} that is always with him has told me that they come to the breaks because here they can "do what ever the f--- they want to and nobody is around to stop them". I could go on and on but you get the picture.
This particular parcel of property borders one of the better fishing holes on the Musselshell.
The locals from Winnett are some of the more avid catfishermen around and are always looking for a place to fish. (and drink beer, camp, and generally have some fun) The only access is through me, or him. Today when I go to town, I am going to let all the county road crew, the tire store guys,and a few ranchers who always ask about the fishing up here, know that someone mowed that state land along the river making it a perfect place to come camp, fish, cook out and have fun. All within 75 to 100 yards of this guys getaway house. They can all come thru me Any elk hunters needing a place to camp, {as long as that is legal on state ground) are hereby invited to drive thru me to camp there.
They can even get wireless connection from my house there. I like being nice to people!
Problem solved. twodot

[ What would likely happen is that they'd send one of the Range crew (either Brandon or Bill) and that guy would get a slap on the wrist equivalent to a form letter

Exactly. That would be one of the many reasons that I gave up calling the law years ago. Enforcing laws on stuff like this is very tough for them.

I do however have a bit of a plan for some personal satisfaction
This guy hates people, he hates me, he hates you, he loves to hate. His number one {butt circle buddy} that is always with him has told me that they come to the breaks because here they can "do what ever the f--- they want to and nobody is around to stop them". I could go on and on but you get the picture.
This particular parcel of property borders one of the better fishing holes on the Musselshell.
The locals from Winnett are some of the more avid catfishermen around and are always looking for a place to fish. (and drink beer, camp, and generally have some fun) The only access is through me, or him. Today when I go to town, I am going to let all the county road crew, the tire store guys,and a few ranchers who always ask about the fishing up here, know that someone mowed that state land along the river making it a perfect place to come camp, fish, cook out and have fun. All within 75 to 100 yards of this guys getaway house. They can all come thru me Any elk hunters needing a place to camp, {as long as that is legal on state ground) are hereby invited to drive thru me to camp there.
They can even get wireless connection from my house there. I like being nice to people!
Problem solved. twodot[/QUOTE]

I love this. But still, call law enforcement and let them know it happened. That land is held in trust for our schools. It's important that DNRC know what is going on, even if we think it only will result in a slap on the wrist. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back