Move to Colorado???

Do some research into Pueblo, CO and PM me if you have more questions or interest in the area. Went to college here and have started my family and career here. Let me know what professions, ages of children, etc you want to know.

We stopped in pueblo on the way back from our hunt this year. Area looks like its exploding! We at at a new Buffalo Wild wings that was in the middle of a brand new shopping area. Definitely an area to look into.

Pueblo is a bit cheaper but it has double the violent crime rate of the Springs and schools are well below average for Colorado. Pueblo West is better but still not great.

Pueblo is a bit cheaper but it has double the violent crime rate of the Springs and schools are well below average for Colorado. Pueblo West is better but still not great.

I've lived in Pueblo West for the last 5 years, it's mostly a good area expect for a couple little zones. It's definitely waaay better than the city of Pueblo. I can fish and shoot dove, quail, and waterfowl within 10 minutes of my house. In relation to where I live, Cushman might as well be in Kansas...

I've lived in Pueblo West for the last 5 years, it's mostly a good area expect for a couple little zones. It's definitely waaay better than the city of Pueblo. I can fish and shoot dove, quail, and waterfowl within 10 minutes of my house. In relation to where I live, Cushman might as well be in Kansas...

I'll take Kansas over Pueblo any day :cool:

We stopped in pueblo on the way back from our hunt this year. Area looks like its exploding! We at at a new Buffalo Wild wings that was in the middle of a brand new shopping area. Definitely an area to look into.

Yes Pueblo lags behind Denver and Colorado Springs as far as construction, but is on course for major surge in the coming year or 2.

The crime rate is not an argument depending on where you are located. There are bad areas and good areas just like Colorado Springs with a smaller population. I was in springs last weekend and it was as bad as any trip to denver I have ever had. My point being that not all of pueblo is good, but neither is Colorado Springs or Denver. The OP's job, income, and ability to purchase a home is going to be the biggest factor in all 3 cities.

Thanks for the input. No, I haven't yet defined affordable. I guess I've been trying to figure that out myself. Definitely going to have to up my opinion of "affordable". We were thinking around 250, 300 tops. Around here that buys a lot. We've started looking around Colorado Springs and also Fort Collins. We're still kicking the tires on this but pretty much beats Missouri in all aspects. A few more vacations are in order to figure it out.

While I've lived here in Fort Collins since 1993 and find its a decent place to live, I'd bypass it for 2 reasons. 1 housing is getting insane. Vacancies last year when I re-fi'd showed roughly 1% and bidding wars are the norm unless buying new. We bought our house 4 years ago well within our budget and as of this spring we couldn't even qualify for a mortgage just based off assessed value. IF we were trying to buy it at the time we refi'd. This is a good problem to have unless one needs to buy another house..The 2nd reason is Fort Collins is turning into Boulder and the associated freak show therein..

As to CO Springs, I grew up there until we moved in 93 and still have tons of family there. There are some great deals to be had under your 300K mark, you'll just need to be quick and do your research. Family there tell me not to buy anything further south of Garden of the Gods on the west side of I-25. They live in the Mountain Shadows area and some good homes in there at a decent price. Plus tons of wildlife!

And don't buy anything south of Carefree on the Powers Corridor if looking for newer homes. There are gems in the city proper, but do your due diligence as some neighborhoods are better than others.

I grew up in the north Fountain/Widefield corridor. When I travel back now and look around I can't help but be astonished that a once nice middle class area has turned into such a dumpy and crime ridden cesspool. I'd give wide birth there.

I'll take Kansas over Pueblo any day :cool:

Haha, I was just seeing if you were paying attention John. I was out there chasing antelope last December for a day, the farthest south and east I'd been yet in CO. There is a certain beauty to it for sure! Going to pick up a leftover tag and do it again this year with my 5-year-old I think...

I second this! I grew up here in Loveland Fort Collins and I could never afford to live here if we hadn't been here forever.
You'll find condos and patio homes for your price range but not single family homes. Not even in a 20 mile radius.
Average price just went to above 400k and those are 70's split level un updated homes. 500k will get you a average 4bed 2 bath home that is updated.
While I've lived here in Fort Collins since 1993 and find its a decent place to live, I'd bypass it for 2 reasons. 1 housing is getting insane. Vacancies last year when I re-fi'd showed roughly 1% and bidding wars are the norm unless buying new. We bought our house 4 years ago well within our budget and as of this spring we couldn't even qualify for a mortgage just based off assessed value. IF we were trying to buy it at the time we refi'd. This is a good problem to have unless one needs to buy another house..The 2nd reason is Fort Collins is turning into Boulder and the associated freak show therein..

As to CO Springs, I grew up there until we moved in 93 and still have tons of family there. There are some great deals to be had under your 300K mark, you'll just need to be quick and do your research. Family there tell me not to buy anything further south of Garden of the Gods on the west side of I-25. They live in the Mountain Shadows area and some good homes in there at a decent price. Plus tons of wildlife!

And don't buy anything south of Carefree on the Powers Corridor if looking for newer homes. There are gems in the city proper, but do your due diligence as some neighborhoods are better than others.

I grew up in the north Fountain/Widefield corridor. When I travel back now and look around I can't help but be astonished that a once nice middle class area has turned into such a dumpy and crime ridden cesspool. I'd give wide birth there.

Back