Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Move to Colorado???

Cardsfan

Is there any affordable areas to live within an hour of Denver? My wife and I are considering moving to Colorado in the next 2-4 years. Her sister lives out there but other than that we wouldn't know anyone. The in law is all for us going out there but I thought I'd ask here for unbiased information. We've been looking at jobs out there and seems like with what we do there wouldn't be any issues with employment. Looking at housing is another story. We have two younger boys and currently live in a 3 bed 2 bath house of average size. Everything I've seen so far out there is at least double what we paid here in the St. Louis area. Is this the cost of living that much higher? Do the wages match the higher housing costs?

I work in the Denver market once a month and it is brutal for housing prices. It was the largest increase in population of any major us city last year. Look to north in area like Brighton, Berthoud or areas to the North. South like Castle Rock and Parker used to be good but now its big million dollar homes. Traffic is a booger also.

But yes question is what is your idea of affordable.

I live in the Springs (45-60 mins to the south side of Denver without bad weather) and housing is increasing here but nothing like Denver. I live just south of the Air Force Academy in a nice neighborhood with great schools and you can get into a 3/2 house in the mid to high 2s. Mine is 4/3 and market it is 330-340.....bought 5 years ago for 270. Utilities aren't bad (consolidated bill of all utilities and the highest I have had is right at $400 in the coldest month) and taxes aren't either. Feel free to ask me whatever you want.

To bad my job doesn't allow me to move out there. Housing prices back here in indiana are back close to where they were in 2007 when I bought my house. It's finally almost what I paid for it.

St. Louis has some serious issues. Social. Traffic. You can't avoid the metro area if you have to use the airport or want to attend major sporting or entertainments events. You get to hunt whitetail with a rifle in the rut but then 2nd choice is turkey, waterfowl and small game.

Move to Colorado once you obtain employment. Housing may be more expensive but if you live outside Denver metro then very few social issues and you can avoid the central district for the most part.

Colorado Springs is as affordable as St. Louis but will feel like Columbia, MO, with a bit more size. A relatively easy drive to DEN airport when need to travel. Or, gut out the higher housing cost and live near Denver metro and deal with some of the same traffic issues as STL but will be less social turmoil.

You and your family will be able to hunt more types of critters, fly fish some amazing water and ski in the winter. Did I mention humidity is rarely an issue though smog can be?

Line up the employment and load up the family and move. In twenty years, STL will be more of a cesspool and that is not a way to spend your golden years.

Cost of living isn't that bad (food, gas, etc.) but housing is pretty ridiculous anywhere west of the Metro area and traffic is getting to be pretty heinous. We paid 150k for a one bedroom apt in Aurora and it's about a 45-1hr commute for me to downtown. That said the job market is very strong and there are great amenities compared to St. Louis.

If you do decided to make the move shoot me a pm and I will give the number of the real estate agent we used, she went above and beyond for us and I'm sure would help you find something you could afford.

I thought Cheyenne market was bad until my wife's step brother and his wife bought their place in the metro area, they just bought and actually had to go well over asking price to secure the place. Turned into a bidding war, but they were willing to do it after losing several places to higher bids. I know a few people who live in the Loveland/Longmont area and the pricing isn't terrible, but the commute might change your mind. If you can, I'd avoid any employment that requires you take I-25 to get there from your home, always bad traffic and wrecks. We visit Denver due to the amount of things to do with our kids, but man I need a 7&7 to calm the nerves while driving through that place every time.

Last edited:
I live 3 hours SE of Denver and bought a 5 br 2 ba house on 9 acres with a 4 car garage for $110K and my taxes are $356 a year :cool:

And you have the best winter weather in the state with a lot to do if you hunt. Hopefully folks continue to stay out of the SE part of the state so it stays relaxed, peaceful and wide open!

Thanks for the input. No, I haven't yet defined affordable. I guess I've been trying to figure that out myself. Definitely going to have to up my opinion of "affordable". We were thinking around 250, 300 tops. Around here that buys a lot. We've started looking around Colorado Springs and also Fort Collins. We're still kicking the tires on this but pretty much beats Missouri in all aspects. A few more vacations are in order to figure it out.

Thanks for the input. No, I haven't yet defined affordable. I guess I've been trying to figure that out myself. Definitely going to have to up my opinion of "affordable". We were thinking around 250, 300 tops. Around here that buys a lot. We've started looking around Colorado Springs and also Fort Collins. We're still kicking the tires on this but pretty much beats Missouri in all aspects. A few more vacations are in order to figure it out.

No first hand knowledge, but I have a very close friend looking for places within 45 min of Denver for the last year in the 250's and he says prices are rising significantly, those that are decent really go fast, and that there is very little available in the "affordable" range in neighborhoods you would want to have a family in.

Do some research into Pueblo, CO and PM me if you have more questions or interest in the area. Went to college here and have started my family and career here. Let me know what professions, ages of children, etc you want to know.

Back