Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mountain House deal alert

I like them and have never had gut issues after earning them. The earlier post was spot on about tasting way better after coming off the mountain than they do at home. I have found that the 2 person serving is only a 1 person serving for me.

Reactions: shb
I'm always surprised when these conversations come up at just how many sensitive tummies there are out there. ;)

I could eat MH for 2 weeks straight and not be the worse for food.

I'm more or less the same. Of all the backpacking meals I've tried, I'll take MH beef stew over any.

I ate enough of their stuff in the cold weather MRE in the service....I just make my own freeze dried meals

Get a dehydrator and buy the bags online. Much healthier options out there that taste better too.

I'm good with MH meals for a few days....then the log jam shows up.

I have to eat a lot of dried fruit to keep my jungle-cat stealth going.

I tried Backpackers Pantry brand once. Not a fan.

Used to be my Costco stop for a large box of Mountain House each year. As mentioned above taste darn good after a long hike.

I've, acclimated myself to the choices w/in those boxes.
Chicken and rice
Beef stroganoff
Mac and cheese
Lasagna me
Breakfast... something or other.

I'll have to stop in @ Walmart as last year I couldn't find them at Costco.

I like most of the ones that I've had. We usually make a couple at a time and share so you don't get too much of one.
Never had many problems with the plumbing due to them. Everyone says they're too high in salt but the guys I go with won't eat them unless they add more salt! I usually claim my portion before the extra salt comes out.

I'm always surprised when these conversations come up at just how many sensitive tummies there are out there. ;)

I could eat MH for 2 weeks straight and not be the worse for food.
It started tasting like card board lately. I'll spend the extra $ for something better.
The dollars seemd to go further with Peak Refuel as those meals aremuch larger

Reactions: Oak
Peak Refuel, Packit Gourmet, and Zora meals... No more Mt house ever for me.
Too many way better

Attachments

• 20190823_192752.jpg
    20190823_192752.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Peak refuel and next mile meals both are way better then MT house. Hawk vittles are good too...i cant see choking down the sodium filled mt house to save 100 buck over the course of a hunting season. They are fine if there was no options...however better stuff is mouse click away..

I did find a good deal on Peak Refuel a while back and picked up a dozen pouches at about $8 each. Maybe I'll be a convert after this year.

Are you guys getting constipated drinking enough water? I'd go on patrol 6-8 days at a time in Iraq living on nothing but MRE's , (which are made to stop you up), and jerky, but drinking a crap ton of water, and most of us never had poop issues.

Not one to have a sensitive stomach when it comes to MH or Backpackers Pantry or any MRE for that matter. I just make sure to keep my water intake up, a guy can get dehydrated real quick out there.

Now Johnsonville Salami or Summer Sausage........... never again.

I actually look forward to a few nights laying in the tent stirrin around a little Beef Stroganoff or CHicken Rice MH....... always open for new suggestions. My question is HOW IS THE DESSERT? A little apple cobbler on day 6 or 7..... you bet.

I'm with Oak, Mountain House is definitely my go-to backcountry meal. So much so I buy in BULK at Costco. If you catch it on sale you get down to about $4/pouch. Not a bad deal if you can find a couple buddies to go in with you, or just throw down for the lifetime supply!
Ever wonder how old those "on sale" packets are? I tried some stuff (mountasin house) that i had sitting around for a couple years. It was edible, but only just.

I like most of the ones that I've had. We usually make a couple at a time and share so you don't get too much of one.
Never had many problems with the plumbing due to them. Everyone says they're too high in salt but the guys I go with won't eat them unless they add more salt! I usually claim my portion before the extra salt comes out.

Agreed, never hurt my stomach. I can tell they have extra sodium in them but I lose enough hiking that I need it anyway.

I think the only better option is making your own, but will be trying some Peak Refuel this year.

My question is HOW IS THE DESSERT? A little apple cobbler on day 6 or 7..... you bet.

They used to have? a blueberry cheesecake that was really good on about day 6. We would always take a couple of those cause one of the guys has a birthday during our annual hunt. Haven't been able to find that one for the last year or two.

The blueberry cheesecake is actually pretty decent. I just pack a Payday or 2 for a dessert.

Back