Mountain goat round?

mdunc8

I'm not sure I want to open this can of worms, but what have you guys used for goats in the past. I'm planning on using my .270 with a 140-150 grain bullet. Sound reasonable? I'll have time to practice plenty this summer, but I don't see myself shooting past 300 yards.

They are pretty tough animals, but that should do the job. Do yourself a favor and use a good bonded bullet, and choose your shots carefully. They usually give you the time to be a little selective on your shots. The trick with goats is to anchor them where they stand... otherwise they can become EXTREMELY tough to retrieve.

I used a .300 WSM with 180 grain Acubonds and dropped this one in his tracks with a high shoulder shot. Unfortunelty gravity still worked against me and he rolled for a long ways before coming to a stop just short of 1000ft drop.

Good luck!

Attachments

• goatfixed.jpg
    goatfixed.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 4,218
I used a 338...250 partitions. I also did the high shoulder shot/spine, he just flopped out of his bed and rolled quite a ways. My shot was about 50 yards or so.

I think the 270 with good controlled expansion bullets would be just fine...enjoy the hunt, they dont come around that often.

Montana 1998:

buzzgoat2.JPG

Your plan is sound. Are you getting psyched up yet?

Here's a pic of my Idaho goat, Oct 1 2007, Bighorn Crags. 9.25" 4.5 year old billy.

I used a 30-06 and Partitions. 200 yards, shot in the left rear ham and exited front of chest. At the shot he disappeared into a jumble of house sized boulders. It took me about 30 minutes after the shot to find him, as he tumbled down an avalanche chute.

It was a fantastic hunt on all accounts. Hopefully I'll get a reason to get in that country again someday.

picture.php

Last edited:
Not to be outdone. I took this 10 1/4" MT Goat in 2007 with a .280 Rem pushing a 140 grain Barnes TX bullet at 3100 fps. The distance wasn't very far, say 60 yards, and it anchored him on the spot. Thank god it did because he would have went a looooong ways down hill if it hadn't.

Attachments

• P1010162.jpg
    P1010162.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4,136
Never shot a goat, but my $0.02 is to shoot what your good with. A 270 is plenty ( O'Connor never flinched to pack one) , just poke 'em right. SEND PIC'S !!!!!!

I love reading Duncan Gilchrist's goat hunting exploits in Alaska, but have to admit I haven't been fortunate enough to be on a goat hunt yet. He seems to indicate that a mortally wounded goat is likely to take a header off of it's cliff. He just shot from below and tried to roll them down to himself.

That said, I think the .270 is enough for almost any N. American game animal if you have good shot placement (and a little luck doesn't hurt).

I can see where you'll have any problems if that round and those loads. One thing that impressed the heck ouf of me while helping a buddy with a mtn goat was how heavy/dense their bones are. Good luck. I think mtn goats are one of the best hunting adventures one could have.

PS- Tbone, I'm thinking that someday I might try to pull a goat out of that country...

I used my .300 wsm with Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear-Claws @ 180 gr. One shot, anchored him perfectly on a cliff.

First goat was killed with a 280. Factory 150's. Dropped him, but he rolled down the hill.

Second goat, 7WSM 140 NP 98 yrds. Dropped in tracks, but put a couple more in him.
akgoat.jpg

Third goat, 7WSM 140 NP 65 yards. Maybe 15 yards and expired.
P1050623.jpg

That last post is more first hand knowledge in one place than anyone else I've ever met.Dang nice goats miller, any chance gun'r is gonna get a shot at retrieving one?

mdunc, If you notice a common theme more important than caliber and bullets is the ability to ANCHOR a goat with a well place shot. High shoulder seems to be the shot of choice, taking out the scapulas and shocking the spine.

Goats seem to be able to soldier on with lead in vital areas longer than any other animal I've personally seen killed.

Ricks goat stayed on his feet for over 1 and 1/2 minutes shot through both lungs with a 180 .300 Win Mag.

I learned the hard way with my goat. First shot was too far for my shooting ability that day. I hit him back about two inches behind the lungs in the stomach. He made it to the cliffs. My second shot ANCHORED him. Unfortunately it was 450 ft to level ground.

Attachments

• Rick's goat hunt 021.jpg
    Rick's goat hunt 021.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4,110
  • 201_0119.jpg
    201_0119.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,094
  • 201_0121.jpg
    201_0121.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6,997
Gerald
Wow that goat took a beating. Was your taxi able to salvage it for a mount?

I drew a Colorado goat tag this year (my first). I was originally planning to use my Parker compund with Easton aluminum arrows. However, my son also got lucky and drew a youth ibex tag in outhern NM. Both hunts open on the same weekend. His hunt is a week long and my goat hunt is 2 weeks. I plan to focus on his hunt first fly him back home and then head up to Colorado for my hunt. With my season shortened and no time to pre-scout, I have changed my weapon of choice to my 300 remington SAUM with 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets in my handloads.

I hear a lot of guys recommend the high shoulder shot. Could some of you experienced goat huntes give a little more detail on where to aim? A picture would be even better. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm getting a little worried about my goat ending up like Gerald's. Seems like every video I watch ends up with someone yelling "No......!!!!!!!".

Not to be outdone. I took this 10 1/4" MT Goat in 2007 with a .280 Rem pushing a 140 grain Barnes TX bullet at 3100 fps. The distance wasn't very far, say 60 yards, and it anchored him on the spot. Thank god it did because he would have went a looooong ways down hill if it hadn't.

That is a stud of a goat.

Not too many 10" + goats stroking around MT. Very nice!

MtMiller has some great goats too, be interested to hear the lengths on those three.

IIRC; 9 and 1, 9 and 2, 9 and 3.

The first one, not pictured, broke off the tips to somewhere in the 7's. I was going to keep them that way, but finally agreed to let the taxidermist recreate. Glad I did, but obviously guessing what the true length was prioir the tumble. I will try to post a pic of the mount tonight.

IIRC; 9 and 1, 9 and 2, 9 and 3.

The first one, not pictured, broke off the tips to somewhere in the 7's. I was going to keep them that way, but finally agreed to let the taxidermist recreate. Glad I did, but obviously guessing what the true length was prioir the tumble. I will try to post a pic of the mount tonight.

Really nice goats! Love to see the mount(s).

Back