Mountain Goat Gear Help?

trouthunterdj

Hello all,

I am going to hunting in the Crazies this fall. I am looking for some suggestions on gear. I need quality rain gear and a trekking pole.

I am going in on horseback in early Sept to scout/hunt, what would be a good set of rainwear for this time? Also, I know a trekking pole would be handy and I would like suggestions as well.

Thanks,

ddj

I have really fallen in love with the Chugach rain gear from Kuiu. Built very well and the cut is correct.

I have been happy with the Chugach Rainwear from KUIU. It is Expensive but it is an improvement over my Rain Suede from Cabelas. This close to season, it may be out of stock.

I have no Experience with the other premium hunting brands (Sitka, Russell, Etc.)

Can't help on the trekking poles...

I prefer the adjustable poles from K2 or Black Diamond. Most come with powder baskets, which may come in handy if you're hunting late in the season and we get a couple early storms. Some of the K2 models are marked for assessing slope angle and avalanche run-out distances in the event we have a fall like we did in 2010.

I've got Patagonia gear. It works great, but isn't made from the quietest material in the world.

I use Leki Makalu Summit Anti-Shock poles, and have really liked them the last few years. They are great for hiking into and out of an area but not for hunting. The reason/downfall being, they are anti-shock and make too much noise for use in hunting. Other than that, great poles.

http://www.leki.com/

Water bladder and trekking pole...

A water bladder that can be stored or worn I recommend. Stay hydrated at all times. Make sure your trekking pole is a good collapsable unit as you will want to store it at times to have both hands free to climb. I actually tossed mine for the second day of my hunt. Left it behind at camp as it was not as usfull as I predicted. Also, I packed and used those 5 hour energy drinks. The small bottle units. Not the big 16 ounce caffeine blast drinks. It did help. Energy bars and tp. Don't leave camp without tp. Good luck! MTG

In trekking poles I really like the idea of a cane knife. Do they make a trekking pole with a switch blade on the end of it? Can you just imagine getting to gut your goat with your cane knife and not have to bend over and hurt your back. The benefits are endless....

I actually tossed mine for the second day of my hunt. Left it behind at camp as it was not as usfull as I predicted.

I pack 2 and never leave home without them. Im not very tough so any help i take any help i can get when packing heavy loads Black diamond makes great poles. I have a few different brands and do not like the twist lock kind.

In the 25 years hunting MT and other western states, can't say i really needed much for rain gear. Ill spend more days hunting in the rain this fall than i probably did combined in MT. Rain gear is the most. over marketed, over hyped shit on the market. Kuiu and Sitka see suckers coming 10 miles off...

Don't use any kind of bladder that requires a hose to drink out of. It'll freeze in a heartbeat. Same with a water filter. I would highly suggest tablets or a UV pen.

In the 25 years hunting MT and other western states, can't say i really needed much for rain gear. Ill spend more days hunting in the rain this fall than i probably did combined in MT. Rain gear is the most. over marketed, over hyped shit on the market. Kuiu and Sitka see suckers coming 10 miles off...

I couldnt agree more.

You guys obviously don't hunt the NW part of Montana. I hunt in the rain at the very minimum 15 days in the fall, some years it rains for weeks on end. That being said, I doubt you will get much rain in the Crazies that time of year. I sweat so much that if I am hiking in the mountains in my "breathable" rain gear I get soaked anyways, so I often don't wear it. When I get to my glassing spot I switch into dry clothes and put the rain gear on.

The Crazies have a lot of loose rock and scree on the upper mountains where a trekking pole would really come in handy. I use a Leki Makalu pole, but when I am hunting it stays in camp or collapsed on my pack since they can be quite noisy.

We got rained on two out of the four days during our last bow hunt in the Crazies.

If you're going to get rain gear, don't skimp. The cheap stuff sucks.

Don't use any kind of bladder that requires a hose to drink out of. It'll freeze in a heartbeat. Same with a water filter. I would highly suggest tablets or a UV pen.

I use a bladder with hose even when backcountry skiing in freezing temps. You can get a neoprene sleeve for the hose which helps a bit, however, all you really need to do is blow the water back out of the hose and into the bladder after each drink. The nozzle will still freeze form time to time, but only takes about a minute or so in your mouth to warm again so that you can get a drink.

I had to deal with frozen equipment during my goat hunt last year and it wasn't even that cold compared to previous years. No offense, but spending several days above 10,000 ft. is much different than an afternoon ski in the mountains.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between going for an afternoon ski and camping at 10,000 ft for several days in row.

If you've ever gone backcountry skiing you would know it is not an afternoon affair. 3-4 days at a time in colorado. hell, it even works climbing mt rainier as long as you warm it up again at night.

I would give the Exped Explorer 130 SA Trekking Poles and the Sitka Gear Cloudburst Jacket & Pant a serious look! I have been using my Exped Explorer 130 SA for several years now and love them. I even depend on them when I am carring my son in my kid carrier, there is no other precious cargo than your kids!

Hit me up with a DM, I could send you my checklist. It would be a great starting point for you.

I forgot to mention about water purification.

The only way to purify water when the temps are below freezing is to boil it.

The UV, tablets, liquids do not work as they do when the temps are above freezing. This is not my onion, that statement has been confirmed by the manufacture of those tools. The filters would work, if the carbon and ceramic filters wouldn't keep clogging up with the ice build up.

As other have stated you can use a neoprene sleeve and or store the bladder in your sleeping bag while sleeping. You can heat the water in the bladder and it would pre-heat the sleeping bag for you, keep you feet warmer longer while sleeping and prevent it from freezing over night.

I second the recommendation on trekking poles. Get the ones with the flip lock adjustments over the screw type, they are much easier to adjust on the fly.

Back