Mouflon or Ibex

Kuaii offers all she wants with a small town feel. However, I have no idea if you can hunt.

Kauai has been high on her list. I was just not sure about the rifle/muzzleloder opportunities for goat there. Looking at the regulations there are areas open to rifle goat, but need to find out more if there are huntable numbers in those areas.

This is rediculous. I vowed that I had no reason to go to Hawaii, now I'm researching a future trip. I don't know if I should thank or cuss you guys.

Wait till you have the lau lau plate lunch! You'll never look at a pig the same way again.

The game management folks are super helpful and friendly so don't be afraid to call them. If anybody decides to go DIY on the private side feel free to PM me...spent several days in area A the last couple years. I'd be happy to give you info about he roads/terrain and anything else. Also have some leads on lodging if you need it...it can be a little difficult to find affordable houses.

moulfon are great fun to hunt. Hunted them in the forests of Europe and will go back again this year for another run at them. Hawaii be a blast to do self guided, would like to get the kids over there one year when they are old enough and take them for a look around. Lanai sounds like the place to go.
Ibex be great, thought about pulling the trigger a few times, but other hunts just seem to have more appeal at the moment.

Hey V'Goat....you can also hunt Pigs, Spanish Goats, Turkey, Axis Deer (free range) and Blacktails......

teej89...you just have to contact lanai game management. They run the private side and you book your hunt areas/dates through them.

What are fees to hunt the private side unguided?Is the hunting any good on the state land?Looks like a different experience,and I have so many Alaskan airline miles I need to start using up.Just so happens Hawaii is one of their main routes.I'd personally want to hunt axis deer but the mouflon are some nice looking game also

Private side $275/day unguided or $60/year unguided. I have never hunted the state land but glass eye shot his giant ram on the state land with archery gear. The whole island is good hunting. There are literally axis deer everywhere...now finding a big buck usually takes some hiking and glassing but they are there. I cannot think of a better use for your airline miles. Lanai is an amazing place.

What are fees to hunt the private side unguided?Is the hunting any good on the state land?Looks like a different experience,and I have so many Alaskan airline miles I need to start using up.Just so happens Hawaii is one of their main routes.I'd personally want to hunt axis deer but the mouflon are some nice looking game also

Personally I would not use AK miles for Hawaii. It takes 50,000 miles to get a roundtrip to Maui that only cost about $380.
I earn points going to Hawaii and cash them in for a flight to far reaches of AK like Adak, St. Paul Island, or Cold Bay. I've gone twice to Adak for $25,000 miles roundtrip, a flight that would cost around $1,200. St. Paul Island I did for 25k miles r/t, a flight that cost around $1,600.
So, 50k miles for a $380 ticket ? Or 25k miles for a $1,200 ticket ?

Last edited:
I am planning on using my free companion fare for my wife when we fly to Hawaii. I also am saving my points for the more expensive flights for a better value.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back