Most Useful Thing You’ve Learned on HuntTalk

So many things learned here. But most importantly, the people here are some of the best I’ve never met. Months after making a post asking for prayers, I’m still getting genuine humans checking in on my family. You know who you are and each of you have made my day.

Lots of small tips, tricks, recipes, and experience based insight that has saved me lot of money. Lots of laughs, and a few good handshakes when I have been able to meet some of the members here in person.

I was very fortunate to draw a NM elk tag several years ago. Through HT, I got connected with a local fellow and we ended up talking for a couple of hours on the phone one evening. He was exceptionally helpful. I don't post very often, but I have to say @hank4elk is the real deal. :)

I'll be meeting my first Hunt Talker in a couple of weeks in Arizona for my first archery Coues hunt. I'm really looking forward to it and it came from an open invitation posted here on this site! Incredible. How cool is that?

There are many others here I hope to meet someday. @hank4elk you are high up there.

I haven’t been on the forum too long, but in the year-ish I have been I have learned a-lot from it about hunting and had lots of laughs along the way. This got me thinking; what is the most useful thing I’ve learned on here? I’d also love to learn what stuck with you guys most after joining the forum. Maybe it’s a hunting technique you learned, facts about an animal, stats, etc. Whatever it is let me know I’m anxious to hear what everyone else has taken from here.
Good question! It should generate some interesting responses. I'll have think on it a while. Yeah, I know ... Mission Impossible. I already knew everything before I joined HuntTalk. Seriously, there is so much value earned, I'll have to do some thinking to narrow it down.

Last edited:
I'll be meeting my first Hunt Talker in a couple of weeks in Arizona for my first archery Coues hunt. I'm really looking forward to it and it came from an open invitation posted here on this site! Incredible. How cool is that?

There are many others here I hope to meet someday. @hank4elk you are high up there.
Many will say, He's High alright! LOL

Something else came to mind- reloading. Like, I had the basic tools and a manual. Got necessary components and then just sat on it.

This forum gave me the confidence to start reloading. It wasn’t any particular HTer, rather the transparency of this group and flow of knowledge.

In no particular order…..

Emphasis on photography to memorialize the adventure

Gutless method to retrieve big game

Hank Shaw connection and much elevated domestic and wild game food preparation including sous vide and smoking

Never did podcasts before until @Big Fin started his

Mystery Ranch (and other hunting purposed packs)

Public lands politics (coming from a strong sagebrush rebellion family tradition)

Encouragement that “travel” hunting DIY is possible

There are moments of raw anguish expressed by Hunttalkers, genuinely met with outreaches of compassion.

Freak month has hurt my head. Folks that I (internet) know went and changed their forum handle and I got lost. Thankfully some of you Freaks kept the same avatar photo.

Another major one is how much work it truly is behind the scenes to fight to keep our outdoor traditions. How tiring it seems to be to try and keep a balance of everything. How much work regular ordinary people do and take time out of their lives to do it.

Its a struggle for me to keep up with the hot topic forums on all of it and dissect the details.

Guys like @BuzzH @Nameless Range @Ben Lamb @Ben Long @Gerald Martin @Schaaf @Big Fin @Randy11 @theat @antlerradar @brockel and so many others.

Can't forget @Hunting Wife or @MTelkHuntress @wllm Or @neffa3

Just some absolutely incredible people that have the will power and knowledge to bring to the table to fight the good fight for all of us.

That honestly might be the most eye opening and humbling thing I've seen in my existence on here. These conversations are no where else but in a site like this, and i bet you 90 percent of the general public doesn't have a clue either.
Yep.

Folks here will help you. My 2020 elk, my first in NM, was a result of someone telling me precisely where to go hunt.

Gutless method is the trick, had never done that before.

I found an affordable way to buy glass, shmalts!

I am all to easily drawn into an internet argument. Just like social media, I have yet to change one mind.

David
NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back