Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

More turkeys

JCS

Since everybody was posting up their turkeys, I thought I would post up pictures of the turkeys I got.

The public land I go is hunted very hard by lots of people. If you try calling them after the first few days after opener, they run the other direction.

The first turkey was killed 3 days after the season opened. I spotted a group of turkeys, got within 100 yards of them and gave a little yelp. They ran the other direction.Someone already educated them. After they calmed down I got ahead of them and shot a gobbler as they walked by at 30 yards.

The second turkey I shot today. I found 1 gobbler and 2 hens. Once again, I got in front of them and shot him as they walked by.

On the way home today, I stopped by a lek I know of and took a few pictures. Nothing like watching sharptails dancing on the prairie. I know the pictures are nothing like MTmiller takes but it is the best I can do. A few days ago there was 2 coyotes standing by the lek. I tried to get a photo but they didnt want their picture taken.

Attachments

• turkey time 003.JPG
    turkey time 003.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 235
  • april turkey 008.JPG
    april turkey 008.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 236
  • april turkey 021.JPG
    april turkey 021.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 234
  • april turkey 029.JPG
    april turkey 029.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 236
Spot and stalk turkeys.....nice. Appreciate the sharpies as well. Great week.

Ninja style!!

Our public land birds figure it out in about two weekends. The only time I hear then call is in the tree, once they hit the ground they become as quiet as churchmice. The only thing to do is pattern their movements or do the sneak. Doing THAT in heavily hunted public lands make me be very very defensive as I really don't want to be mistaken for a turkey and get a keister full of #5 super winchester lead.

Ninja style!!

Our public land birds figure it out in about two weekends. The only time I hear then call is in the tree, once they hit the ground they become as quiet as churchmice. The only thing to do is pattern their movements or do the sneak. Doing THAT in heavily hunted public lands make me be very very defensive as I really don't want to be mistaken for a turkey and get a keister full of #5 super winchester lead.

You aren't kidding, those Kansas birds on public are something else! (still fun though).

Our birds are the same as in spooked from all the people hunting in the spring. One thing I found last year that may have been coincidence but as I walked in after birds that were talking I spooked toms with hens out the roost still pretty dark. They went different directions, I sat down not far and soon after light I called them back in silent. Killed 2 birds in 2 mornings like this. It works really well in the fall and only did this on accident this spring but it worked.

Goat

I end up killing most of my turkeys "spot and stalk" around here anymore...or ambush style. They are extremely call shy by the time season rolls around. A lot of people here start their seasons early unfortunately, or they call them in for photography. Good job, awesome birds! My dad and I want to do a western spring turkey hunt sometime in the next few years. I need to be researching it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back