Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

More opposition to grizzly hunting

I am guessing other than Gianforte, Montana would be all for this? Thank god Wyoming won’t be and that they support state management.

Gilbert claims that bears are expanding their range because they ran out of food in yellowstone??? I don’t need a college degree in ecology to know that is BS, and he claims states can’t manage large carnivores as well as the feds? And people wonder why we question “experts”.

Last edited:
Wyoming large carnivore biologists, directed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, euthanized 32 grizzlies in conflict situations last year.

That’s a lot of bears.

Sad. Extremist environmental groups strike harder. Their opposition to the Endangered Species Act's Grizzly success is a prime example why contacting our representatives is that much more important to share the necessity to delist and permit the States to manage it's wildlife...

I am guessing other than Gianforte, Montana would be all for this? Thank god Wyoming won’t be and that they support state management.

Gilbert claims that bears are expanding their range because they ran out of food in yellowstone??? I don’t need a college degree in ecology to know that is BS, and he claims states can’t manage large carnivores as well as the feds? And people wonder why we question “experts”.

Let's cast too broad a stroke with that brush.

MT has 7 tribal sovereign nations. We have the largest Native American delegation in the state legislature of any western state, and we have a strong relationship with most tribes when it comes to getting stuff done. Wildlife is viewed differently by tribes, but as Americans, they have every right to weigh in on how animals can be managed, both at the state and federal level. That there is disagreement with them is no surprise, especially since no one interest can even agree on how to manage elk (hunters).

As for Ystone and bears leaving due to food shortages, it is worth noting that through the decline in Yellowstone Cutthroat and whitebark pine, two critical food sources were being lost, creating a situation where bears were foraging farther afield than before. Bears are generalists when it comes to eating stuff, so they can transition, but when you remove two critical pieces of food from the chain, there will be an effect.

Let's cast too broad a stroke with that brush.

MT has 7 tribal sovereign nations. We have the largest Native American delegation in the state legislature of any western state, and we have a strong relationship with most tribes when it comes to getting stuff done. Wildlife is viewed differently by tribes, but as Americans, they have every right to weigh in on how animals can be managed, both at the state and federal level. That there is disagreement with them is no surprise, especially since no one interest can even agree on how to manage elk (hunters).

As for Ystone and bears leaving due to food shortages, it is worth noting that through the decline in Yellowstone Cutthroat and whitebark pine, two critical food sources were being lost, creating a situation where bears were foraging farther afield than before. Bears are generalists when it comes to eating stuff, so they can transition, but when you remove two critical pieces of food from the chain, there will be an effect.
They MAY be foraging further, but for an “expert” to deny that the GYE is chock full of grizz and they are recovered is not honest.

I would push anyone to Meatester podcast #55 with a bear biologist as to why those 2 food sources were not sufficient reasons to halt a delisting of grizzly bears in the GYE.

They MAY be foraging further, but for an “expert” to deny that the GYE is chock full of grizz and they are recovered is not honest.

I would push anyone to Meatester podcast #55 with a bear biologist as to why those 2 food sources were not sufficient reasons to halt a delisting of grizzly bears in the GYE.

I agree that it wasn't a legit reason for stopping delisting, which is why I signed the NP I worked for onto the intervening action to defend the USFWS determination. But to ignore the collapse of two critical food sources inside the boundaries of the park, and even outside, means we're ignoring a big piece of the puzzle when it comes to managing Grizz.

GYE has a lot of bears. it's time to delist and let states manage (which WY & MT are largely doing now through cooperative agreements with USFWS).

Wingnut Grijalva's bill is going nowhere. He is just trolling for campaign contributions from the kook base. Politics as usual.

In all fairness, if his tribe and constituents want this, then it isn’t trolling.

Absurdity is rapidly becoming normalcy in today’s political climate.

He's MTGomers representative. You can ask him how he keeps getting re-elected. Grijalva gets a lot of contribution support from enviromental groups like George Weurthner represents. One thing to get elected to the house in a blue district. Another thing to get this bill passed into law. ;)

That’s a lot of bears.
32 is not even close to all of them. Looks like around 75 were found last year.

https://www.usgs.gov/data-tools/201...ear-mortalities-greater-yellowstone-ecosystem

This years list

https://www.usgs.gov/data-tools/201...ear-mortalities-greater-yellowstone-ecosystem

That's the crazy part. Most people have no idea that 75 bears are dying each year, many due to human conflict. Yet everyone freaks out that we were going to hunt 10. Most just don't understand that bears are turning up at DQ in towns like Cody, that's not going to work. As much as I hate to say it there will probably need to be a high profile attack/death in a town to really make people understand what's going on.

It won't be long until we have an attack every week or so. Was that way towards the end of last summer.

He's MTGomers representative. You can ask him how he keeps getting re-elected. Grijalva gets a lot of contribution support from enviromental groups like George Weurthner represents. One thing to get elected to the house in a blue district. Another thing to get this bill passed into law. ;)
Haha! Had to look up this "gent's" name to better understand.
Good luck with that winner of a representative, MTGomer...

Do I understand this correctly? The federal government, which manages Yellowstone national park, the park that hasn't been managed properly and cannot provide forage and protein for bears, is better suited to managing bears than the state.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back