Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bear Pistols for bow hunters?

Bill Christy

Carrying a sidearm while hunting is controversial. However, in Idaho's grizzly country, carrying a sidearm is a must for bowhunter and rifle hunter alike. Each hunting season, the news is filled with at least one story of a grizzly bear attack ending with a bow hunter having to kill the bear with a sidearm because bear spray failed to have any affect on the attacking bear. Whether we hunt with bow or rifle, we are often surprised with our main weapon out of reach. Keeping a sidearm with us at all times insures our chance for survival.

Carrying a sidearm while hunting is controversial. However, in Idaho's grizzly country, carrying a sidearm is a must for bowhunter and rifle hunter alike. Each hunting season, the news is filled with at least one story of a grizzly bear attack ending with a bow hunter having to kill the bear with a sidearm because bear spray failed to have any affect on the attacking bear.
Please post last years news article

I don’t think carrying a sidearm is controversial in states that have Grizzlies.

As far as not carrying or even bringing bear spray, if you feel lucky, it’s up to you. However, it’s like carrying for personal protection, very few people will ever need it.

I carry a 1 cm pistol in those underground water caves where the elk hang out.
The common popular caliber sidearm nowadays seems to be the 10mm semi. for grizzly and black bear. Personally, I carry a .45 colt revolver.

Back