Bear Pistols for bow hunters?

Has anyone used a drone for grizzly patrolling? If so what do you recommend?? Does it have firepower?
I have not personally heard of any instances where drones have been used for grizzly patrolling. However, there have been instances where drones have been used for wildlife monitoring and surveillance in general. If someone were to consider using a drone for grizzly patrolling, they would need to carefully consider the potential impacts on the animals themselves and ensure that any such efforts are conducted in a responsible and humane manner.

As for firepower, drones used for wildlife monitoring and patrolling are typically equipped with cameras and other sensors for observation purposes, rather than any kind of weaponry. The use of firepower in this context would likely be both unnecessary and potentially dangerous, both for the animals being monitored and for any humans in the vicinity.

And that's how you use AI to make low-effort pseudo-serious posts on forums to mess with people. Note AI didn't catch the humor in Trial153's post. Whodunnit?

When did a side arm become so unpopular on HT!

This fall my pack fell off my fourwheeler, punctured the can on fuggin rock, and sprayed it everywhere (including on my pack that got rinsed in the rain thank god). Glad that i had a sidearm after.

Primary plan is always bear spray, especially walking in brush or where i cant see anything. But if the scenario arose where a bear is a long distance off and is preparing to charge im not trusting myself to "time" the spray with its range.

If you carry anything less than a .454 Casull you deserve to get eaten. I special ordered the matching pair of gold desert eagles.

View attachment 314162
enough time has passed, I'm assuming my pals who killed this one could care less. A desert eagle was involved. Pick that prominant landmark. I’ve got literally a dozen friends/acquaintances that have killed them in self defense. I’ve never pulled the trigger but have had my finger on the trigger a couple times.
IMG_6872.jpeg

Before anybody calls the FWP, I believe it was FWP who took the picture, when they went back with them. This was 25 years ago or so.

enough time has passed, I'm assuming my pals who killed this one could care less. A desert eagle was involved. Pick that prominant landmark. I’ve got literally a dozen friends/acquaintances that have killed them in self defense. I’ve never pulled the trigger but have had my finger on the trigger a couple times.
View attachment 314626
That’s a pretty badass photo, and a good place to run into a griz. The desert eagle gets them style points for sure. I’ve had my finger on the trigger as well, thought I was gonna shoot the one I ran into when I was hunting with @EYJONAS!. I was happy to be packing a rifle that day.

View attachment 314626
Look at the claws on that thing!!

That’s a pretty badass photo, and a good place to run into a griz. The desert eagle gets them style points for sure. I’ve had my finger on the trigger as well, thought I was gonna shoot the one I ran into when I was hunting with @EYJONAS!. I was happy to be packing a rifle that day.
I believe it was within a 3 year span I know of run-ins with 4 different guys, and as many dead bears within maybe 3 miles of where that photo was taken.

View attachment 314626

I cut 3 grizzlies tracks within 5 miles back there this past year.
IMG_3300.jpeg

Carrying a sidearm while hunting is controversial. However, in Idaho's grizzly country, carrying a sidearm is a must for bowhunter and rifle hunter alike. Each hunting season, the news is filled with at least one story of a grizzly bear attack ending with a bow hunter having to kill the bear with a sidearm because bear spray failed to have any affect on the attacking bear. Whether we hunt with bow or rifle, we are often surprised with our main weapon out of reach. Keeping a sidearm with us at all times insures our chance for survival.
My experience after 30 years in Alaska is the opposite. The basic problem is most folks can not hit a softball bounced right at them at top speed and if you do not hit a bear in the brain (softball) or spine, mauling is likely. A heart/lung/shoulder shot is not a stopping shot when a bear is charging with adrenaline. I saw an interior grizzly absorb 13 shots from a 300 Win mag.
SleepingBear3.jpg
Many times I heard or read of mauling in Alaska because a hunter did not kill the bear wuth the first shot from a handgun. Yet after 30+ years in Alaska I heard of many incidents when bear spray was effective.
Joe Nava, who lived on NRA in Fairbanks was an expert pistol shot who taught a bear safety course for natural resource agencies. He recommended bear spray then a long gun for all but expert pistol shots.

When did carrying a pistol while hunting become controversial?

Tell me that while I had a black bear sow and 3 cubs come within 50 yards of my treestand while I was bow hunting this year. I had 15 rounds of hardcast strapped to my chest. There ain't nothing controversial there, only controversy i had was pondering why I didn't have 45 rounds of hardcast.

Been hunting many times and crossed paths with bears, sometimes with me on the ground and only a bow or muzzleloader.

You do you. I ain't gonna be no bear snack

When did carrying a pistol while hunting become controversial?

Tell me that while I had a black bear sow and 3 cubs come within 50 yards of my treestand while I was bow hunting this year. I had 15 rounds of hardcast strapped to my chest. There ain't nothing controversial there, only controversy i had was pondering why I didn't have 45 rounds of hardcast.

Been hunting many times and crossed paths with bears, sometimes with me on the ground and only a bow or muzzleloader.

You do you. I ain't gonna be no bear snack
Until just a few years (10ish?) ago in your state of Virginia it was illegal to carry a pistol during archery or muzzleloader seasons.

Until just a few years (10ish?) ago in your state of Virginia it was illegal to carry a pistol during archery or muzzleloader seasons.
Wouldn't that count as old news then? Besides this conversation is about whether or not it's controversial not legal.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back