Yeti GOBOX Collection

More on buff ranching

dgibson

On the way back from a wedding this weekend, we saw a sign for "Buffalo Crossing Fun Ranch." Since the kids were getting car-grumpy and the sign had the word "Fun" in it, we decided to stop. What we found was a working bison ranch that also had a restaurant, tours, kids' activities, etc. Anyway, I got a chance to speak briefly with our tour guide and get a couple of questions answered, though we couldn't talk as long as I wanted. Here's some facts that I learned from our conversation:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The ranch has 1000 acres and currently holds about 700 head of bison. That count does not include this year's calves because you don't count them until winter time due to mortality and birthing schedules.
<LI>Of the 1000 acres, the buffalo have the run of about 800 or so, with the rest being made up of the touristy stuff, silage crops like corn, and a little tobacco.
<LI>As noted, these animals are fed silage much like cattle, and therefore don't do too much damage due to grazing. From the areas we saw on the tour, things looked to be in good shape environmentally, but I'm not skilled in such evaluations.
<LI>Bison can be worked much like cattle (and are), so long as certain rules are followed and certain precautions taken. For instance, they separate their herd into groups of 55+/- cows and 2 bulls. Any more bulls and they fight. Also, the groups tend to let themselves be driven much like cattle, but if you get an "onery" animal or two that won't do as directed the rest of the animals take their cue from them and herding becomes more difficult.
<LI>The bison are respectful of fences for the most part, with one notable exception. If you put multiple bulls in a pasture with their prize bull ("Chief Joe"), he will actively pursue the other bulls until he forces them through the fence and out of the pasture. Remember, too, that they have no real reason to jump fence, as everything they need is provided...there is little doubt that a 2000-pound bull could make short work of any fence they devise if he so chooses.
<LI>The bison industry (in their experience) is currently FAVORABLE when compared to cattle because the meat is in demand and they make a better return per animal. If you look at their meat list, the regular price of bulk burger is $4.35/lb.
<LI>There are currently about 45,000 head of buffalo in the state of KY, including those in Land Between the Lakes (if I remember correctly).
<LI>A good standing bull like Chief Joe will go for $100,000 to $400,000 on the market.
eek.gif
[/list]
It is interesting to note that the animals apparently do have a bit of a temper and hold a grudge. While we were touring our guide showed us a particular cow that calved in a waist-deep mud hole earlier this year. Our guide (and everyday ranch hand) had to stand behind her and catch the calf to keep it from being lost in the mud. Unfortunately, the cow thought that he was trying to harm her baby and now has a strong dislike for him. As if to prove his point, she spotted him as he was talking about her, "wuffed" like buffalo will, and started toward him at a fast trot.
eek.gif
Luckily there was a fence between them and she was bluffing.
wink.gif

I know that not all of this applies to ranching out west (silage in particular), but I found it very interesting nonetheless. Just more fuel for my "kick out the cattle and give the ranchers bison" campaign.
biggrin.gif

You can see a little more about this operation here. Comments, anyone?

How come nobodys pushing to return buffs to the open expanses of the midwest?
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

You know, wolves and grizzlys to ID, MT, WY. Why not return free ranging buffs to SD, NE, KS, OK, & TX?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

TB they are. Check out the Buffalo Commons Project. Also, I know of a few in Iowa that raise buffalo and are working with creating an open range types systems form some of the Indian Reservations. This is apart of the research program that funded my MS.

Thanks for the info DG. Those things sure are BIG!

The bison might look like they are selling high by the meat on the shelf. But it's quite the contrary. The bison ranchers are going belly up from the bottom falling out of the market. They can't sell them for anything even close to a profit. Currently they are trying to sell hunts at 25 cents a pound on the hoof. So if you shoot a thousand pound hefer it's $250. That's around here anyway. If there is a market for them somewhere, I know a half dozen bison ranchers that would love to know.

That's interesting, Troy...that had been my understanding too. One would think that was a contributing factor to starting the "Fun Ranch" portion of the operation (why else would someone go to that kind of trouble?). One question...when you say "the bottom fell out," do you mean that prices are now too low for them to be able to support the operation, or just that they are no longer making a killing like they once were? In other words, is it now unsustainable, or just more on par with the beef industry? Not picking, just asking questions.
confused.gif

Yeah, the prices are too low to profit and it's hard to find an outlet for selling the big critters. Most bison ranchers here are currently converting back to sheep or cattle if they haven't got themrselves too far in the hole. One friend of mine had to sell off close to half of the ranch to recover the loss and keep ranching, basically had to start over again.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back