More Bad MT Elk Legislation LC2343

While I don’t disagree with you, and I am against this BS bill, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. The way I read it was the permits would have to be used on said landowners property. Is that correct? Those using the landowner transferable tags would only be limited to hunt that property and not be able to hunt anywhere else in the unit. Like I said, I’m not in favor of this and I would think our legislature would have more pressing issues to tackle than trying to manage our wildlife.

Here's the relevant portion:

NEW SECTION. Section 1. Class B-13--landowner-sponsored nonresident elk-only combination license. (1) The department shall offer for sale, for the same fee established in 87-2-511(6), Class B-13 landowner-sponsored nonresident elk-only combination licenses to persons otherwise qualified to purchase a license pursuant to this part and who are sponsored by a qualifying landowner to hunt solely on that landowner's deeded land or property in accordance with rules adopted by the commission for a general elk license in the applicable hunting district.

(2) A landowner may sponsor up to 10 license applicants pursuant to this section if the landowner owns 640 or more contiguous acres within a hunting district where the sustainable population number for elk, as calculated pursuant to 87-1-323, is at objective as determined by the department's most recent elk survey count. If the most recent elk survey count is above or below the sustainable population number, a landowner does not qualify.

(3) Licenses issued pursuant to this section are in addition to nonresident elk-only combination licenses available for sale pursuant to 87-2-511(6).

(4) A person who obtains a license pursuant to this section may not, in the same license year, obtain a nonresident elk-only combination license pursuant to 87-2-511(6) or a Class B-10 nonresident big game combination license.

The bill does not specify that it's only the sponsor's deeded land, but that the commission, which is currently getting stacked with outfitters & anti-access advocates, can decide that the tags can be used anywhere in the district, if they decide. So that means 380, 410, 441, etc could all be district wide tags if the commission decides it to be.

There is also no prohibition on selling the license, which means the landowner can get someone sponsored, charge them a large fee for the sponsorship, and then get the commission to allow that license to be used anywhere in the district, which means the outfitter/landowner can then use that license across the whole district, and not on the sponsoring landowner's land.

What isn't in the bill is just as important as what is in it. This is an extreme makeover of how MT issues licenses. It's pretty easy to abuse this and ensure places like White Sulphur Springs will always be over objective, which would be fine if the Galt's can make even more money off of harboring elk & hassling hunters.

Here's the relevant portion:

The bill does not specify that it's only the sponsor's deeded land, but that the commission, which is currently getting stacked with outfitters & anti-access advocates, can decide that the tags can be used anywhere in the district, if they decide. So that means 380, 410, 441, etc could all be district wide tags if the commission decides it to be.

There is also no prohibition on selling the license, which means the landowner can get someone sponsored, charge them a large fee for the sponsorship, and then get the commission to allow that license to be used anywhere in the district, which means the outfitter/landowner can then use that license across the whole district, and not on the sponsoring landowner's land.

What isn't in the bill is just as important as what is in it. This is an extreme makeover of how MT issues licenses. It's pretty easy to abuse this and ensure places like White Sulphur Springs will always be over objective, which would be fine if the Galt's can make even more money off of harboring elk & hassling hunters.
Thanks Ben, I definitely missed that part. You’re correct about the commission aspect, and that’s a terrifying prospect. I appreciate your hard work in keeping us updated on things and your ability to translate lawyer jargon into something us non lawyers can understand!

Is it crazy for me to say that someone that is educated. Knowledgable and respected should keep a website up with how are polticians are passing bills and what they are actually voting for. And the public can stack the deck and elect people into office that will do the right thing for the public. There are good canidates in every county. I barely graduated high school and can see its not an even playing field.

Montana Wildlife Federation

𝗛𝗕 505 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝗸 𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁. HB 505 is heading to the House Fish, Wildlife and Parks committee next week and they need to hear from you about how bad this bill is. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 444-4800 and leave a message for the entire House FWP committee and tell them to vote NO on HB 505 to keep elk public and not create a system that will be abused in coming years. https://leg.mt.gov/web-messaging
HB 505, sponsored by House Speaker Wylie Galt, R-Martinsdale, and which MWF opposes, would create landowner-sponsored elk licenses for nonresident hunters. The bill would allow landowners with more than a section of land and elk, present up to 10 sponsored licenses, while doing nothing to increase public hunting access to address populations over the objective population.
Of course, private landowners have been and will always be important stewards of wildlife habitat in Montana. But unlike other countries across the world, landowners do not own the wildlife – the public does. This has been a core pillar of our North American Model of Wildlife Management for over eight decades. This bill runs counter to that.
HB 505 would also put into state law permanent cow elk rifle hunting seasons that run from Aug. 15 to Feb. 15 for residents, again with no provision that increases access to private land during the general season, when most hunters are in the field. And it would provide five bonus points for special elk districts for hunters who choose these licenses. This bill is full of problems that encourage less access to elk during our five-week rifle season, creates incentives for people to game the system to draw limited elk permits for big bulls, and ultimately will do nothing to address burgeoning elk populations without added public access to help manage public elk.

Montana Wildlife Federation

𝗛𝗕 505 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝗸 𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁. HB 505 is heading to the House Fish, Wildlife and Parks committee next week and they need to hear from you about how bad this bill is. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 444-4800 and leave a message for the entire House FWP committee and tell them to vote NO on HB 505 to keep elk public and not create a system that will be abused in coming years. https://leg.mt.gov/web-messaging
HB 505, sponsored by House Speaker Wylie Galt, R-Martinsdale, and which MWF opposes, would create landowner-sponsored elk licenses for nonresident hunters. The bill would allow landowners with more than a section of land and elk, present up to 10 sponsored licenses, while doing nothing to increase public hunting access to address populations over the objective population.
Of course, private landowners have been and will always be important stewards of wildlife habitat in Montana. But unlike other countries across the world, landowners do not own the wildlife – the public does. This has been a core pillar of our North American Model of Wildlife Management for over eight decades. This bill runs counter to that.
HB 505 would also put into state law permanent cow elk rifle hunting seasons that run from Aug. 15 to Feb. 15 for residents, again with no provision that increases access to private land during the general season, when most hunters are in the field. And it would provide five bonus points for special elk districts for hunters who choose these licenses. This bill is full of problems that encourage less access to elk during our five-week rifle season, creates incentives for people to game the system to draw limited elk permits for big bulls, and ultimately will do nothing to address burgeoning elk populations without added public access to help manage public elk.
Emailed a letter today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back