Montana wolf tags on sale!

I think Harrah's Sports Book has the over/under split at 22. Sounds about right.

Another $350 for me to play :eek: Im out. Too bad that's not lower, they would probably sell alot more NR tags. Now I'm a lock to see wolves.

Got mine...

Guess I will use my bow for the 1st part of the season, 9-3-11 thru 10-16-11. I have not had much luck calling 'yotes into bow range. But, nothing ventured, nothing to make a wolf rug out of! During regular season any of my rifles will suffice. Long as I get 'em into within 300 yds. MTG

I think Harrah's Sports Book has the over/under split at 22. Sounds about right.

I'm taking the under. I'd like to see that, but I think reality will be less than 10. Hope you guys prove me wrong.

Well, $350 sounds a tad bit high for me. Gotta pass and now I'm sure I'll see some in The BOB in about 37 days.

Its exciting now that states are opening up seasons for wolves its only a matter of time before Grizzlies get a season :) Now you wont have to spend $15,000 to go to Alaska

So...I was just checking out the wolf regs, it appears it's legal to leave the entire critter in the woods? ie You're not required to even take the hide or head? It mentions mange and if you shoot a mangy wolf you may be issued a new tag, but otherwise it seems to me it is the choice of the hunter if they want to leave the head and hide. Not so sure I agree with this...anyone else have thoughts?

OK I think fwp just did their best to make it confusing. Here is what I pieced together out of the various sections. The first section says you must keep it, then the very next says it's up to you? The way I'm reading it is if it shows signs of hair loss you can leave it, otherwise you have to take it? Any other thoughts or interpretations?

"Waste of Game – wolf is excluded from being considered as
“suitable for food” under big game regulations. A person that
harvests a wolf must possess the head and hide, with evidence
of sex naturally attached. The remaining carcass may be taken
in possession or be left in the field."

"Procedures to Follow Upon Harvesting a Wolf
• Wolves are excluded from being considered as “suitable
for food”. A person that harvests a wolf and wishes to retain
possession of the hide and head must personally present the
hide and skull with evidence of sex naturally attached to a
designated FWP employee within ten (10) days after harvest.
The remaining carcass may be taken in possession or be left
in the field as per Montana law."

"• All successful wolf hunters must personally report their wolf
kill within 12 hours regardless of their intent to retain
possession of the hide and skull by calling the Wolf Reporting
Number at 1 877-FWP-WILD (1-877-397-9453) so that FWP can
monitor quota levels."

"Mange
• Some wolves have mange – a skin parasite that results in the
loss of fur on the wolf. In mild cases, the wolf can lose hair on
its tail, lower belly, or the lower parts of its legs. In severe cases,
a wolf can lose hair across a large part of its body. Hunters can
visually scan a wolf to see if it shows signs of hair loss. If it does,
you may choose to not take the animal, as its fur will likely not
be in prime condition for tanning. If you shoot a wolf that does
show signs of mange, tag the animal and report the kill to FWP.
You may be issued another wolf license."

Basically it's saying that you have to take the head and the hide and can leave the rest in the field. In cases of mange, you do not have to take any part of the animal as it is considered disease. You must report it however, and then FWP can issue you another wolf license.

Basically it's saying that you have to take the head and the hide and can leave the rest in the field. In cases of mange, you do not have to take any part of the animal as it is considered disease. You must report it however, and then FWP can issue you another wolf license.

Basically that was how I read it too. But IMO it leaves it waaaaayyy open to interpretation...if it shows signs of hair loss...

I think they could have done a better job of writing this and put all this info in one spot instead of spread across the regs. The first time I read it I didn't get all the way to the back where the mange section is. I kept reading if you wish to keep the hide and head and I thought they were implying you could just leave it.

Back