Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

montana till I die

montanakai

I have been a inactive member here for sometime and have enjoyed reading the threads. The passion for hunting public land in Montana is something I have always cherished and enjoyed. Watching Randy's shows are so refreshing because it shows the true difficulties of hunting wild public land. I have been lucky to have deep roots in Montana. My grandparents homesteaded in NE Montana and Dads side was from the West side of the mountains. Now our family is spread throughout Montana and beyond. I hope to be more active and share tidbits of information with everyone whenever I can. I know that I will be asking for some advise on a limited Elk unit I finally drew after 15 years. An area I have hunted but with a bull tag in hand it all changes. Now that I have said hi I hope I can keep up with all of you. This will be fun and thanks for having me on Hunttalk

As my uncle said, who is quite hard of hearing, "I will get hearing aids when I finally encounter someone with something I want to hear."

I smile because you are averaging one post a year so I hear my uncle saying, "I will start replying when I finally encounter a topic worth getting worked up about but until then I am merely lurking. Good day."

I was fortunate to hunt pronghorn in Montana last autumn a bit north of Helena and was a memorable adventure. I hope your adventure is memorable as well.

What bull elk tag did you draw?

Welcome from Iowa!

I'm sure you have a lot to contribute - maybe work your way up to 2 posts per year?

Yep Montana till I die as well. Welcome to HT. I left Montana for awhile, but came back home. Here for good. mtmuley

I know it is extreme but here is post #2.... Thanks for the welcome everyone I am looking forward to the discussion. I will be seeking information on the area I drew the bull(either sex) tag. Should I start the questions on the elk forum?
Tomorrow is the deadline to apply for the "Big Three" I have the maximum points for Sheep and goat and 10 for moose. I am not going to apply for them because I want to focus on my elk hunt. I do however want to purchase the bonus points to keep accumulating them. Does anyone know if this possible without actually applying for the permit?
Lopehunter... I drew the Elkhorn permit

So I am on a roll post #3
I took mtnhunter advice and applied for the Big Three. As my wife was falling asleep I said I was putting in for them all and she said " Love you good night" Oh man this could be a busy fall...

Wow, you registered a long time ago. Happy to see you joining in. Welcome to the camp.
Wow, you registered a long time ago. Happy to see you joining in. Welcome to the camp.
Hi Randy,
Like I said in my introduction I appreciate so much the way you show real hunting. The great moments of the hunt and the blood, sweat and tears we encounter on any given hunt. I have lived and hunted all my life in Montana and do it on my own and teach my kids and now upcoming grandkids the joy of being in outside, hunting ,fishing, camping etc. So.... The point is this. I drew after at least 16 years the Elkhorn permit. I have hunted the area and harvested several cows and spikes over the years.
What do you know about the area? Have you hunted it? Any intel you have I will add to my research file..
thank you Kai

Back