Montana sheep tag question

AkBearHunter

Does anyone know if you can buy a bighorn sheep tag over the counter in Montana like we do for dall in Alaska? I don't believe you can but i'd sure like to know for sure.

Yup, there are a couple unlimited units in SW MT. They close upon reaching a very low quota. They are known for difficult hunts for barely mature rams.

Units would be 300, 303, 500, and 501.

Good luck.

What bigfin said is pretty much the case...with the exception of the barely mature rams.

That was pretty much the case in 301, most of the rams were young 3/4 curl barely legal sheep. Not true in the remaining units.

There are old sheep to be had in those areas if you spend your time. My best friend killed a low 170's ram (37 inch horns) that was 8.5 years old in one of the unlimited areas. He spent a bunch of time and did get a bit lucky.

All the remaining unlimited areas have old rams. The Atchesons used to kill some very, very, old broomed rams in the 500 and 501 areas.

Unit 303 has always produced some mature rams.

Most of the sheep in the unlimited areas just dont have the huge bases like most of the mutant rams in Montanas limited areas. But, there are some old and very nice rams in all the units. I'd say that the unlimited areas probably have as good, if not better, rams than most of the limited areas in Colorado and Wyoming. Its not an easy hunt and the rams arent always in the classic sheep country.

I've hunted 2 of the unlimited areas and its a tough deal...but the sheep are there.

I didn't think that tags in the unlimited units were available "over-the-counter", but had to be applied for in the drawing (with 100% success because they are unlimited). Maybe that's not the case? But if so, it would be good for a person to know, in case they are planning to show up in the fall and purchase their tag.

Good point Oak. I believe our unlimited tags must be purchased via application in the regular sheep draw, the deadline for which is May 1st. Even though you must apply, you are guaranteed the tag.

I hope you get one AK.

Oak is right, you have to apply, but you're guaranteed a tag.

Heres the ram my buddy shot.

Dougsunlimram.JPG

I hunted the same area a few years later. I saw legal rams in there every time I scouted. I also saw 5 legal rams 2 out of 3 days before the season started. One was a very old broomed ram. I know he was no younger than 9 years old and I'd have to say he was either 10 or 11 years old. I sure wish I could have found that sheep during the season.

The tough thing about that unit is the sheep are pretty sensitive to the increased human activity during hunting season. They flat disappear. I never found a legal ram during the season...neither did anyone else as there were no sheep killed in there that year.

So is an eight year old bighorn considered old? In Alaska an eight year old Dall is considered mature, but not really old. I'd say it would take a 10 year old ram to be considered old. The Dall ram I shot was 9.5 years old and I don't consider him old.

TBinKodiak,

In Montana I bet the average age ram harvested is likely 8 or less. Lots of record book rams are killed that are less than 8 in Montana.

The AK ram I killed was either 11.5 or 12.5, I'd consider that a senior citizen for sure.

I bet a pretty small percentage live longer than 11-12 years.

I'd say at 8 years old any ram is mature and 2/3rds+ through his life.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back