Montana Rifle Company

6mm Remington

Montana Rifle Company is back after being purchased by Grace Engineering Crop in Michigan. It looks like the rifles are outstanding with a few improvements over the previous Model 70 / Mauser 98 action. The rifles also come with a 1/2" accuracy guarantee which says a lot about the quaility of the construction on a rifle made here in the USA by talented local workers.

I was going to purchase a rifle from the old MRC before they went under. The product they are turning out now looks to be so much better. I don't need another rifle but I am drooling with the prospect of owning one of their rifles.

Highline
1712347467273.png
Junction
1712347504992.png

Looks like they are chambering the 280AI which is just the cats meow. Now if we can get them to chamber a 6mm Remington with a 1-8 twist and you'd have something as good or better ballistically than the 6mm Creedmoor.

Montana Rifle Company is back after being purchased by Grace Engineering Crop in Michigan. It looks like the rifles are outstanding with a few improvements over the previous Model 70 / Mauser 98 action. The rifles also come with a 1/2" accuracy guarantee which says a lot about the quaility of the construction on a rifle made here in the USA by talented local workers.

I was going to purchase a rifle from the old MRC before they went under. The product they are turning out now looks to be so much better. I don't need another rifle but I am drooling with the prospect of owning one of their rifles.

Highline
View attachment 321663
Junction
View attachment 321664

Looks like they are chambering the 280AI which is just the cats meow. Now if we can get them to chamber a 6mm Remington with a 1-8 twist and you'd have something as good or better ballistically than the 6mm Creedmoor.
Do you know what caused their original demise? Thought they were interesting - and then closed shop before i saw much more.

As someone with a safe full of light/heavy/carbon/synthetic/aluminum black wiz bangs, that bottom rifle is pretty. I was gonna buy a MRC rifle right about the time they became wishy washy and hesitated. 7-08 or 30-06 is what I’d be looking for. No brake. Gentleman’s gun.

Do you know what caused their original demise? Thought they were interesting - and then closed shop before i saw much more.
QC was an issue for sure. Like any other business. You build a great product, people buy it, you grow and quality slips if you don’t have the people and systems in place to keep what you started going.

QC was an issue for sure. Like any other business. You build a great product, people buy it, you grow and quality slips if you don’t have the people and systems in place to keep what you started going.
I think and don't know for certain but I believe you are correct. Quality started slipping on some of the rifles. Sure looks like this new corporation has it figured out.

There's an initial review of one produced a few months ago. It shot like garbage before the guys took it apart and fiddled with it. I was surprised that MRC would send it out knowing they'd be publicly reviewed on the pure chaos of Rokslide but I think they wanted to be transparent that they want to make it right.

As someone with a safe full of light/heavy/carbon/synthetic/aluminum black wiz bangs, that bottom rifle is pretty. I was gonna buy a MRC rifle right about the time they became wishy washy and hesitated. 7-08 or 30-06 is what I’d be looking for. No brake. Gentleman’s gun.
I believe the 30-06 will be added to growing list of chamberings. I'm with you. No brake for me. I'm sure you can get one of those threaded covers and pull the brake off and replace it with that.

FUTURE CHAMBER OFFERINGS​

375 H&H – July 2024
300 Rem Ultra Mag – Coming Soon
7mm Rem Mag – Coming Soon
28 Nosler – Coming Soon
280 Ackley – Coming Soon
270 Win – Coming Soon

I met with the original owner once to do some insurance work. Wish I had met him with the knowledge I have now instead of back then. Nice guy, lots of kids, lots of big elk on the wall.

I know someone on rokslide was testing one of these out and didn't seem like it was shooting worth a darn. Like 4" groups at 100 yards. Far from the .5" group they guarantee.

That said I take what I read on rokslide with a large grain of salt.

I love the looks of the wood stocked one. If anyone here has shot one I'd love to hear your feedback

I would like to see a photo of the integrated M-Lok rail. That is something I think I would like on a stock, just ahead of the front action bolt, so I could easily add or remove an Arca rail.

Huh? mtmuley

The specs for the Highline say there is a M-Lok section. There are times when having an Arca rail for a tripod would be nice but most of the time, I am just walking around with my rifle in my hand and I don’t want an Arca rail where I am carrying it.

A tripod came in handy for my daughter in sagebrush in Wyoming. Last fall, a tripod was advantageous as we were on a steep hillside, watching across the draw and a prone shot would have been difficult.

The specs for the Highline say there is a M-Lok section. There are times when having an Arca rail for a tripod would be nice but most of the time, I am just walking around with my rifle in my hand and I don’t want an Arca rail where I am carrying it.
Guess I ain't up to speed on the cool stuff. mtmuley

A tripod came in handy for my daughter in sagebrush in Wyoming. Last fall, a tripod was advantageous as we were on a steep hillside, watching across the draw and a prone shot would have been difficult.
IMG_3259.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back