Montana Primary???

As I like to say, I didn’t leave the Republican Party, it left me. Not that I’m a big D fan either. I research candidates and vote for individuals based on their own merit. Any willing to openly challenge their party platform get major points with me. The herd mentality of our current political machine is disgusting.

As I like to say, I didn’t leave the Republican Party, it left me. Not that I’m a big D fan either. I research candidates and vote for individuals based on their own merit. Any willing to openly challenge their party platform get major points with me. The herd mentality of our current political machine is disgusting.

Unfortunately, most registered voters can’t be bothered to do their due diligence on candidates and what their policy stances are to make educated voting decisions and instead go off notoriety or whomever spends the money to run TV ads. That appears to be borne out by the early election results this evening...

I knew it was a bit quixotic to vote for Fox in the primary.

What is pretty clear is that the choices this November are distinct from each other.

I had never been excited about a republican for state office my entire adult life until Fox came along. The strategy papers, not only on hunting and fishing issues, but on education, business, all that, had depth and effort that I had never seen before coming from a candidate. Look at how easily Gianforte won. What does that say about the Republican Party?

Think of who Gianforte would put at the head of the agencies as their directors. Think of the bills he won't veto that will likely arrive at his desk. Think of how Knudsen would vote on the land board.

If the issues are hunting, fishing, and public access, the answers of who I'll be voting for in November is obvious, and it is none of the republicans.

I had never been excited about a republican for state office my entire adult life until Fox came along. The strategy papers, not only on hunting and fishing issues, but on education, business, all that, had depth and effort that I had never seen before coming from a candidate. Look at how easily Gianforte won. What does that say about the Republican Party?

Think of who Gianforte would put at the head of the agencies as their directors. Think of the bills he won't veto that will likely arrive at his desk. Think of how Knudsen would vote on the land board.

If the issues are hunting, fishing, and public access, the answers of who I'll be voting for in November is obvious, and it is none of the republicans.
Spot on

oh ya don’t forget Fielder on the PSC. At least when we had Bob Lake he would sleep through most of the meetings.

Spot on Nameless. It's gonna be a complete sh!t show if Cooney can't beat GG.

What does that say about the Republican Party?
That you need cash to win, but that is true in both parties. It basically demonstrates that most voters don't do much of their own research and tend to be easily influenced by ads. A political researcher once told me that in the less recognizable positions down ballot, just getting signs in yards is enough to create name recognition and gain votes. That was before Facebook and the like so maybe it has changed somewhat. Regardless, money still buys elections.

Wow, as a spectator I figured Fox was make a pretty good showing of it. Guess not. Statistics would say it's G by a mile in Nov.

Interesting surprised to see the challenge Cooney faced (81k v 66k). Having Bullock on the Congressional path, I had imagined much more support for Cooney due to Williams direct attack of Bullock ---> Cooney.

With that, I'd imagine Republican (and Democrat) strategists are already churning equations, $ and perception game plans.

I believe our Governor election, Gianforte happens to be present at the right time, considering the historical gauge for approx 12 year runs of one party over another.

I'll view Cooney and Schreiner's positions of the past. I've not voted an R for Governor since Martz. Gianforte is on my poop list so Cooney better steer clear of the Democrat National poo-pen if he stands a chance.

Well, here's to another national pigsty election. Polarized Express... All aboard!

It basically demonstrates that most voters don't do much of their own research

This is definitely true.
I’ve never really been a big champion of the ‘access to the voting booth’ and all the stuff you hear about making it easier to vote. Of course I think any attempts to stop people of a certain class or race or anything like that is an abomination, but I fully support some kind of barrier of entry other than having a pulse, to vote.
Representative democracy only functions properly when an engaged and informed populace participates.
There ought to be some kind of a test. I don’t mean writing a thesis on constitutional theory, just a few simple true/false or A/B questions;

John F Kennedy was;

a) the leader of the confederacy in the First World War

b) a US President.

Brazil has two seats in the US senate;

True
False

If you can’t answer things like this, you don’t need to vote.

Wow, as a spectator I figured Fox was make a pretty good showing of it. Guess not. Statistics would say it's G by a mile in Nov.
I don’t think I’d go that far. Cooney has a far better reputation and likability factor than Gianfortes last two opponents for House. If I had money to put down right now, it would be on Cooney.

I don’t think I’d go that far. Cooney has a far better reputation and likability factor than Gianfortes last two opponents for House. If I had money to put down right now, it would be on Cooney.
Seriously? That's good to hear. Some are calling it a toss up for now (article is a little old). https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2020-governors-races-update/

The most competitive contest is probably the governor’s race in Montana, where Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock is term-limited. While both parties will select their gubernatorial nominees on June 2, the 2020 race includes at least one familiar face: Bullock’s general election opponent from 2016, Rep. Greg Gianforte, is running again, and is currently the leading GOP contender.

It may seem surprising that election forecasters at Inside Elections, Sabato’s Crystal Ball and The Cook Political Report all rate Montana as a toss-up, considering the state’s R+18 Republican lean,1 but Montanans have backed a Democrat in the last four gubernatorial elections. Fortunately for Democrats, governors races aren’t quite as nationalized as Senate races, which means in a state like Montana, a Democrat like Bullock can win reelection by 4 percentage points even though President Trump carried the state by 20 points.

As for the current lay of the land in Montana, the last comprehensive poll of the GOP primary came out in September, and it found Gianforte up 56 percent to 29 percent over Montana Attorney General Tim Fox, the other well-known Republican contender. Gianforte, a wealthy technology entrepreneur and Montana’s lone House member, is perhaps best known for attacking a reporter during Montana’s 2017 special election for the seat he now holds. Nonetheless, he’s favored in part because he’s a strong fundraiser — on top of being independently wealthy — having significantly outraised Fox $2.3 million to $680,000 (though Gianforte’s haul included a $500,000 personal loan). As for the Democrats, Lt. Gov. Mike Cooney and businesswoman Whitney Williams seem locked in a close race. There’s no meaningful public polling, but both candidates have raised about $700,000. Cooney has a lengthy political resume and Bullock’s endorsement, which might give him an advantage, but Williams has strong familial ties to Montana politics even though she hasn’t held public office before. Her father is former Democratic Rep. Pat Williams, who represented part or all of Montana for 18 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back