MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Muzzleloader seasons 2021

@EYJONAS! Yep. ;) MTTW is a bit more detailed.
Yes I believe a shorter season would be a great step in the right direction. However, it'll only cause more confusion apparently with MTFWP and hunters both NR and R, so I'm making the educated guess they're probably not gonna go for that.

I have many times on this site layed out some shortened season structure along with weapons restrictions. I'm a fan of pick your poison, you wanna hunt early archery that's it, you wanna hunt late muzzleloader that's it. You wanna hunt region 6 that doesn't give you the opportunity to hunt region 7 too.

Last time I lined this out a well known member wanted to hit the Octagon. So I'm a little gun shy😁

Anyone sit out opening Saturday of season out of principle?

Anyone hang up their rifle after the deer start rutting out of principle?

Anyone make their kid sit out youth season out of principle?

Anybody going to forgo hunting the proposed opportunity in certain areas next season out of principle?

Was Anyone around 15 years ago when they extended elk season 2 weeks and hunters didn't kill Jack shit?

Does anyone have a mirror?
I can count on one hand the amount of mule deer bucks I’ve shot in Montana the last 20 years. I look damn good in the mirror.

I don't mind a primitive weapons season structure but I'd be more inclined to accept it if it was a draw tag in which you were confined to that season only. Not having already 11 weeks of hunting season as well.
I would prefer and spoke at the R1 meeting about the muzzleloader season. I believe the archery gurus influence on FWP was heavy to spit the traditional muzzloader season at the end vs as I shared and others as well, screw archery out of their last week and convert it to a muzzy traditional week.
I archery hunt as well though not that arrogant to preach pushing it off as the initial Backcountry Hunters and Anglers announced... archery gurus.

Anyone sit out opening Saturday of season out of principle?

Anyone hang up their rifle after the deer start rutting out of principle?

Anyone make their kid sit out youth season out of principle?

Anybody going to forgo hunting the proposed opportunity in certain areas next season out of principle?

Was Anyone around 15 years ago when they extended elk season 2 weeks and hunters didn't kill Jack shit?

Does anyone have a mirror?
I have hunted and killed exactly 2 mule deer in the past 20 years. Both on LE permits. So ya.....

edit to avoid confusion. To be clear there isn't much opportunity to hunt general MD in the valley and I am not traveling to hunt a rutting forky when I can archery hunt WT's.

Last edited:
I can count on one hand the amount of mule deer bucks I’ve shot in Montana the last 20 years. I look damn good in the mirror.
I don't. I am as hypocritical as the rest.

There seems to be a bit of confusion between sitting it out and pulling the trigger.

We all fight for what we believe is best. When it's laid out, win, lose, or draw... we find our regulations and plot our Annual Leave that works with our friends and family and make a go of it.

I'm all for shorter seasons, limited tags, drawing for locations, and selection of weapon used for each tag. Restructuring damage hunts, tossing shoulder seasons out the window, on and on, and on...

Do we win on all fronts? Hah! Wishful thinking.

I've taken two muleys in my time. Muleys are some peoples fame hunt. I think they're flippin too easy. Hell they stand and pretend to dissappear.

I hunt archery and look forward to muzzleloader. Side note: anyone can search posts and see my intent was far before this new muzzleloader season released. My plan was to enter the Bob during rifle rut elk.

Anyone counter this Outfitter bonus?

Not this year for either hunt. Oh well. Life.

The mirror for some makes your shiny whities really stand out! Hah!

I picked up my muzzleloader yesterday, dropped the rod down there to be sure it was clear, then immediately realized I left it loaded with a follow-up round after shooting the last deer I downed this past season which means it is uncleaned, also.

Que irresponsible.

What do I do? I feel like my whole world is closing in around me. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me so far this month.

"It's in case I see a coyote or wolf"
Maybe if a Public Service Announcement is made that its illegal, they'll adhere to regulations?
While we're at it... maybe add poaching is illegal.

I bet their teeth are whitie in the mirror as well.

;)

I picked up my muzzleloader yesterday, dropped the rod down there to be sure it was clear, then immediately realized I left it loaded with a follow-up round after shooting the last deer I downed this past season which means it is uncleaned, also.

Que irresponsible.

What do I do? I feel like my whole world is closing in around me. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me so far this month.

Ive decided, just this moment, I am going to put it onto a stump out back, secure it firmly and soundly, attach string to trigger, then discharge while standing well away into earthen bank near stump in the hopes it clears.

Pray for me.

Ive decided, just this moment, I am going to put it onto a stump out back, secure it firmly and soundly, attach string to trigger, then discharge while standing well away into earthen bank near stump in the hopes it clears.

Pray for me.
Take video. Youtube may compensate for a blown barrel or whatever comes of it. :)

I shot my forth buck this century two days ago. two mule deer and two whitetails. I don't look all that good in the mirror though, especially first thing in the morning.

Back