Montana Muzzleloader seasons 2021

Any self respecting Montana hunter that takes part in a hunt beyond what they preach is too long needs a kick in the... Not asking for you to kick me in the nuts though - We all preach one deal yet... we hunt beyond what we preach - because it's legal.
So You have a muzzle loader? mtmuley

Sitting at home for that and whinning about it makes about as much sense as sitting at home when all the over objective elk units go general.

Guys gotta capitalize on opportunity

Any self respecting Montana hunter that takes part in this hunt needs kicked in the, well you know. mtmuley
What if I don’t hunt the 6 weeks of archery, and only two weekends of the rifle? In my opinion, it will be a rather difficult hunt, whether it’s approved this year or next. Access that time of year in really difficult, and elk can hear a snow machine for 3 miles. Lots of areas will not be accessible (WMA), gated FS, heavy packed snow. Effective range will be under 100 yards. I do personally agree that seasons should be shortened and choice of weapon implemented. Preston

What if I don’t hunt the 6 weeks of archery, and only two weekends of the rifle? In my opinion, it will be a rather difficult hunt, whether it’s approved this year or next. Access that time of year in really difficult, and elk can hear a snow machine for 3 miles. Lots of areas will not be accessible (WMA), gated FS, heavy packed snow. Effective range will be under 100 yards. I do personally agree that seasons should be shortened and choice of weapon implemented. Preston
Have at it. mtmuley

So You have a muzzle loader? mtmuley

I do. I'm out of commission this year. Purchased last year (or early this '21(?)). I preached it should have gone down as lopping off the last week of archery when later the whole muzzleloader bomb dropped. I also have a compound (not a long/recurve). Lyman Great Plains .54 - per advice received on HT and friends. Next year - if I'm not shipped out? I might take advantage of the late season traditional muzzy.

My objective was to run into the Bob (or better stated - do my usual drag a sled, one foot in front of the other, wear m arse out, etc) during rifle rut, this time with the muzzleloader. I thought it to be as good as it gets for a possible last sled play.

Speaking of... Another aspect I am not a fan of - Why wilderness has that option? Simple answer? OUTFITTER LOVE though another regulation change the masses preached against yet if legal? we do.

A lot of Block Management areas are not in including it or the elk Shoulder seasons. Read the back of each map carefully. Cant hunt coyotes either if it is not stated in their rules on the back.
PS It is this season.
Check the specks on your type of BP rifle many don't qualify for the season.

What's that tritium(?) Sight mounted to? edit: Disregard - phone view. Desktop - I see they are not trit.

Is it a fit for any octagonal barrel?
It used the same screw mount points as the peep sight, mine is a TC Renegade .54. If you check Williams or muzzle-loaders, they would have a better answer. Sorry I can't be more help.

Last edited:
Two things..
1. This makes me want to go muzzleloader hunting this year.... badly.

2. What's the regs that's everyone is bickering over?

Does anyone have any experience with loads, bullets, etc?
I'd suggest the Hornaday Great Plains 385gr. They are pre-lubed and very accurate. I am using Pyrodex RS at 95gr, but I suggest you start at around 65 and increase from there to find what groups well for you. And I'm assuming you do, but just incase you don't, there is a difference between grains by volume and grains by weight.

I'd suggest the Hornaday Great Plains 385gr. They are pre-lubed and very accurate. I am using Pyrodex RS at 95gr, but I suggest you start at around 65 and increase from there to find what groups well for you. And I'm assuming you do, but just incase you don't, there is a difference between grains by volume and grains by weight.
Thank you!! I appreciate the help, going to buy some powder and bullets this weekend. I have a powder scale to measure charges

9rbu.gif

Why would gated FS roads be difficult to access? The gates will be open.

I have snowmobiled passed bulls that time of year that pretty much stand there. Whitetails too.

Last edited:
Why would hated FS roads be difficult to access? The gates will be open.

I have snowmobiled passed bulls that time of year that pretty much stand there. Whitetails too.
I know guys with pickups that can drive over those gates when buried in snow. Access is easy. mtmuley

Thanks @406LIFE good info for many. Thumbs up are intended as "thanks for the info" not as if I agree. I'm in the learning phase.

Quick <rookie> Q's: (Hope Pagosa doesn't mind)

• Is there a quality website you recomend for projected Velocity fps & Energy ft/lbs for black powder traditional percussion?
  • I understand the wadding or tear sheets may increase/decrease the above - to what degree? I don't have my powder, etc to share the specifics that I've been working with though understanding the above will assist.

I'm not an expert but have killed a moose and muledeer with .50 cal patched roundball. That said IMO the roundball is a crappy projectile. Dialing in proper load, and fussing with patches is a finicky(and frustrating) process. That is, unless the shooter is really in to it. For newbies I would stick with the greased Hornady projectile pictured. Eliminate fussing with patches and focus on proper powder.
There are two measuring devices in the pic. The brass one I've had for years and use for the traditional . The plastic version is dialed and locked for the in-line.
Obviously the ramrod not pictured and a few smaller items like extractors, but essentially pictured is what I pack.20210925_172243.jpg

Are people actually excited for this? This is bad. With any luck we can pressure animals off public the whole year.
Some guys are. If you can't kill a deer or an elk with the liberal opportunity season structure we have in Montana, stay home. I don't believe the muzzleloafer season will be a tough hunt at all. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back