MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Muzzleloader seasons 2021

Some guys are. If you can't kill a deer or an elk with the liberal opportunity season structure we have in Montana, stay home. I don't believe the muzzleloafer season will be a tough hunt at all. mtmuley
I know nothing about muzzleloaders if they are completely traditional like they are supposed to be I’m not sure it would be that easy. I worry more about displacing animals with unneeded pressure.

Thanks @406LIFE good info for many. Thumbs up are intended as "thanks for the info" not as if I agree. I'm in the learning phase.

Quick <rookie> Q's: (Hope Pagosa doesn't mind)

• Is there a quality website you recomend for projected Velocity fps & Energy ft/lbs for black powder traditional percussion?
  • I understand the wadding or tear sheets may increase/decrease the above - to what degree? I don't have my powder, etc to share the specifics that I've been working with though understanding the above will assist.
There are a lot of variables at play here that go into the final calculation: twist rate of barrel, choice of projectile, patch/felt or not, powder choice, powder load. I don't know of a lot of websites that gives you a recipe like reloading centerfire cartridges, but this one is helpful to get started. Most ML guys will give you a starting point, what works for them, and the caution to not exceed your barrel max. I suggest searching for your rifle and then seeing what others have for loads.

As for patching, generally it will give you a tighter seal, so more pressure and more recoil. On average, I've seen patching give you a higher impact at 100yds around 6". I don't shoot patched on my conicals, and I have about a 3" group at 100. If you are shooting a ball, then you would want to shoot patched, probably with linen. Again, it is really about finding what your barrel likes, and what you can stand for recoil/retort.

There are a lot of variables at play here that go into the final calculation: twist rate of barrel, choice of projectile, patch/felt or not, powder choice, powder load. I don't know of a lot of websites that gives you a recipe like reloading centerfire cartridges, but this one is helpful to get started. Most ML guys will give you a starting point, what works for them, and the caution to not exceed your barrel max. I suggest searching for your rifle and then seeing what others have for loads.

As for patching, generally it will give you a tighter seal, so more pressure and more recoil. On average, I've seen patching give you a higher impact at 100yds around 6". I don't shoot patched on my conicals, and I have about a 3" group at 100. If you are shooting a ball, then you would want to shoot patched, probably with linen. Again, it is really about finding what your barrel likes, and what you can stand for recoil/retort.
What are your thoughts on the December muzzle loader season in Montana? mtmuley

406Life, I appreciate the information and direction. I will probably stick to the Great Plains waxed conical bullets. Thanks Preston

So glad to see so many Montanans caring about wildlife. Yet I'll bet every one of you hunts muledeer through Thanksgiving weekend given the chance. Those muledeer don't get any smarter after Nov 1, but and extra 10 days is the nail in the coffin. Hahaha how many have participated in the extended hunting seasons? How many hunt deer in Decemver with a bow?

I'm sure those animals become super stupid once the bell rings after 11+ weeks of relentless pursuit. Don't forget the closing date for rifle fluctuates a week, too. Keep on blaming the other guy for that less than 10:100 buck/doe ratios and similar for elk. 😅 it can't get any worse.

Last edited:
I intend to hunt the muzzleloader season if I have a tag left. If I do have a tag left I assure you it will not be because I can't kill a deer or elk in general season.
I have thrown a hell of a lot more deer tags away than I have ever cut and I don't expect a 100 yard, iron sight rifle to change that.
As for hunting from a snow mobile, good luck with that.

They will never see me coming in this Hahaha
IMG-20210812-093222.jpg

IMG-20210812-093233.jpg

So glad to see so many Montanans caring about wildlife. Yet I'll bet every one of you hunts muledeer through Thanksgiving weekend given the chance. Those muledeer don't get any smarter after Nov 1, but and extra 10 days is the nail in the coffin. Hahaha how many have participated in the extended hunting seasons? How many hunt deer in Decemver with a bow?

I'm sure those animals become super stupid once the bell rings after 11+ weeks of relentless pursuit. Don't forget the closing date for rifle fluctuates a week, too. Keep on blaming the other guy for that less than 10:100 buck/doe ratios and similar for elk. 😅 it can't get any worse.
So there are hundreds and hundreds of posts here condemning Montana's lengthy mule deer season. Wonder how many guys that complained about that will grab a muzzleloader? mtmuley

So there are hundreds and hundreds of posts here condemning Montana's lengthy mule deer season. Wonder how many guys that complained about that will grab a muzzleloader? mtmuley

Based on archived FWP hunting regulations over say... the past 75 years:

example:
Hundreds and hundreds of posts here condemning Montana's lengthy seasons for all big game. Wonder how many guys that pass on big game with that burning tag and harvest (or tag soup-o-licious) at a later date within that lengthy season. Muleys, elk, B tags, salvage tags, landowner tags... on and on and on. Quote over and over our opposition towards subjects.

This is a revolving door of condemnation, from a hypocritical perspective.

Hunters aren’t going to self regulate. A few will and the vast majority will not. That’s why we have regulations.
I’ve never hunted a shoulder season and never will, but I don’t condemn those that do. I don’t plan on muzzleloader hunting but as long as it’s legal then I won’t look down on them. We already hunt the peak of the mule deer rut. I don’t think the muzzy season is going to have much of an impact on deer, but some of those late season elk that are dropping to winter range could take a hit.

Based on archived FWP hunting regulations over say... the past 75 years:

example:
Hundreds and hundreds of posts here condemning Montana's lengthy seasons for all big game. Wonder how many guys that pass on big game with that burning tag and harvest (or tag soup-o-licious) at a later date within that lengthy season. Muleys, elk, B tags, salvage tags, landowner tags... on and on and on. Quote over and over our opposition towards subjects.

This is a revolving door of condemnation, from a hypocritical perspective.
I hope you are ready for next year. Awesome opportunity. mtmuley

Round ball and patch would be my last choice, I've had a few years doing this in the eastern U.S.

Use either the pre-lubed Buffalo bullets or T/C maxi balls. You have to play with these weapons a while and see what works best, what the best load/bullett combination works best for your muzzy.

and if you don't like cleaning guns after you shoot them, then don't even pick one of these up.....it's part of the process

I don’t think the muzzy season is going to have much of an impact on deer, but some of those late season elk that are dropping to winter range could take a hit.
I think the opposite. I think deer will be way easier to kill than elk. Open sights, side locks, cold weather, snow, powder ignition issues, chasing elk that have been educated in rifle season. Its not going to be a slam dunk hunt by any means. While some will be able to stretch the barrel so to speak, the effective range for the majority will be more or less be 100 yards. These aren't modern in-lines. If you've never shot a sidelock, the delay between pulling the trigger and the ball striking the target is an eternity.

Success will be at best somewhere similar to archery if I had to guess.

I could be wrong, but doubt it will be all that popular the first few years. I doubt many people own a traditional muzz in MT.

One thing F&G should do is require muzzleloader hunter safety, and require certification to hunt the latter season.

I think the opposite. I think deer will be way easier to kill than elk. Open sights, side locks, cold weather, snow, powder ignition issues, chasing elk that have been educated in rifle season. Its not going to be a slam dunk hunt by any means. While some will be able to stretch the barrel so to speak, the effective range for the majority will be more or less be 100 yards. These aren't modern in-lines. If you've never shot a sidelock, the delay between pulling the trigger and the ball striking the target is an eternity.

Success will be at best somewhere similar to archery if I had to guess.

I could be wrong, but doubt it will be all that popular the first few years. I doubt many people own a traditional muzz in MT.

One thing F&G should do is require muzzleloader hunter safety, and require certification to hunt the latter season.
Maybe. But we are already shooting the shit out of the deer in November so we’ve killed a ton of bucks already. They are at least somewhat educated and aware that they are being hunt. I can think of several places where I can go find a really big bull showing on the winter range by mid December.

I agree with you on the weapon type. I don’t think many people are going to do it and I don’t think the success rate will be much. I’m speaking more to the fact that with heavy snow and cold temps the bulls will be out on open faces not expecting to be hunted when the hunt starts. If someone has half a brain they should be able to get in tight on a bull in mid December…whether or not they can make the shot with a traditional muzzleloader is up to them.

Round ball and patch would be my last choice, I've had a few years doing this in the eastern U.S.

Use either the pre-lubed Buffalo bullets or T/C maxi balls. You have to play with these weapons a while and see what works best, what the best load/bullett combination works best for your muzzy.

and if you don't like cleaning guns after you shoot them, then don't even pick one of these up.....it's part of the process
I appreciate the advice. I’ve shot the TC Nee Englander a lot about 15 years and I normally disassembled and soaked the barrel in my bath tub in a cleaning solution and warm water. After an hour I would dry it and use a muzzleloader lube.

I purchased one box of waxed TC Buffalo bullets in 385 grain. I will start out with a low load and work my way up in chargers of 5 grain increments.

I will only be able to shoot less than 100 yards, based on shooting/hunting previously for whitetail deer.

Just for the record for all the guys that say I shouldn’t partake in this traditional hunt, I cannot hunt until mid December anyhow due to working on a construction project and family time. I hope to get out both weekends in the season.

Enjoy digging lead balls out of animals in the future or picking them up dead in the spring

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back