Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Muzzleloader seasons 2021

Pagosa

I contacted the Montana FWP about muzzleloader hunting this December and they didn't have a lot of information other than unfilled general tags can be used during the 9 day primitive season. I have a TC New Englander 50 cal and would like to take it hunting. My job will allow more time to take off in December than the general elk/deer rifle season. Does anyone have a good starting point to working up loads for a TC New Englander? Since sabots are not legal I will need to used a patched round ball/lead conical, but I'm not familiar with these bullets. Any advice on chargers/powder types? I used to be able to hit really well with open sights at 75-100 yards but never hunted with it. I'd to put a peep sight on it, any one have any advice for a Lyman or Williams peep sight? Thanks for the direction.

Hello,

Williams rear sight is nice, the peep was difficult in low light to shoot.
I can't comment on loads, mines a 54. Usually most accurate around 90g w/round ball.
As a side note, I have not shot maxi in it, due to the forever shortage of anything 54 cal.
PXL_20210925_155122312.jpg

What's that tritium(?) Sight mounted to? edit: Disregard - phone view. Desktop - I see they are not trit.

Is it a fit for any octagonal barrel?

Last edited:
If you can find Lyman peep, buy it. Took me 6 months to find mine. You may need a plate, which the 57GPR comes with, to get the correct sight picture.

Ive been hunting with a 50 hawken during general rifle the past few years. 95 grains pyrodex RS, hornady 50cal round ball (.490), open iron sights. Im comfortable out to 100 meters (why the range measures in commie measurements rather than Merkan, Ill never know!). A couple dead ones (out of a few more), the bull was dropped at 90 paces. May have posted these pics previously.

4324B65B-7244-4B64-8B53-E45C991A4D21.jpegunnamed.jpg

Ive been hunting with a 50 hawken during general rifle the past few years. 95 grains pyrodex RS, hornady 50cal round ball (.490), open iron sights. Im comfortable out to 100 meters (why the range measures in commie measurements rather than Merkan, Ill never know!). A couple dead ones (out of a few more), the bull was dropped at 90 paces. May have posted these pics previously.

View attachment 195537View attachment 195538
Nice animals, what size patch do you use? That looks like open country must be good stalker.

Any self respecting Montana hunter that takes part in a hunt beyond what they preach is too long needs a kick in the... Not asking for you to kick me in the nuts though - We all preach one deal yet... we hunt beyond what we preach - because it's legal.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back