Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana mule deer rant

My conversations with the local Wardens regarding these issues reveled a startling fact! The info spreading through the enforcement division is that there were 40,000+ Montana Resident hunting licenses purchased this year. That's 40,000+ Resident licenses over the ten year average.

40,000 more than the ten year average?😬 Things should improve in the next couple of years then…….

My conversations with the local Wardens regarding these issues reveled a startling fact! The info spreading through the enforcement division is that there were 40,000+ Montana Resident hunting licenses purchased this year. That's 40,000+ Resident licenses over the ten year average.
I'm not debating that they told you that, but I would bet a lot of money that the increase is nowhere near that. Maybe I would lose the bet, but I think they're messing with you. When I called Helena, the answer was "slightly above last year."

I have the license sales numbers from 2011 to 2021. Resident Deer A totals in 2011 were 148,941. This includes all of the Sportsman Combos that could also have a Deer A tag, plus Deer A only purchases.

In 2021, that same resident total for Deer A was 159,816. That's an increase of 10,875 over ten years. I would seriously doubt that the increase for the one season of 2022 was 4x what the increase was in an entire decade. I could be wrong, but I think someone is jerking your chain.

I'm not debating that they told you that, but I would bet a lot of money that the increase is nowhere near that. Maybe I would lose the bet, but I think they're messing with you. When I called Helena, the answer was "slightly above last year."

I have the license sales numbers from 2011 to 2021. Resident Deer A totals in 2011 were 148,941. This includes all of the Sportsman Combos that could also have a Deer A tag, plus Deer A only purchases.

In 2021, that same resident total for Deer A was 159,816. That's an increase of 10,875 over ten years. I would seriously doubt that the increase for the one season of 2022 was 4x what the increase was in an entire decade. I could be wrong, but I think someone is jerking your chain.
Yeah, I was stunned when the Warden stated that a few weeks ago. The Warden I talked to the other day confirmed the previous Warden's statement. Two different Wardens, two different days, same statement. I guess that we will see when the 2022 numbers are final??

Yeah, I was stunned when the Warden stated that a few weeks ago. The Warden I talked to the other day confirmed the previous Warden's statement. Two different Wardens, two different days, same statement. I guess that we will see when the 2022 numbers are final??
2 guys on the same text thread repeating the same story doesn't make it true.

The stats that Big Fin mentions.

Last edited:
2 guys on the same text thread repeating the same story doesn't make it true.
Agree on this point. Maybe the wardens talk to each other and one is simply repeating what the other told him? That YOY increase seems so large as to see off my BS alarms. Doesn't mean it's not true, but for me it certainly warrants waiting for the actual data before spreading the news.

An excellent video interview with Dr. Monteith that covers seasonal fat cycles, antler growth/body mass, effects and misconceptions of predation, carrying capacities, etc. A seriously informative video of his and others work, articulated from the horses mouth.

Can not remember where I saw that, as for milk based soley on nutrition, I would be doubting that unless deer are different than cattle when it come milk. Virtually every bull listed for sale has an EPD for milk production listed in the sale catalog.
As a mule deer doe lactates it affects buck fawns ability to grow antler rest of his life.
This is for a fact. I didn’t know it until my biologist/outfitter buddy informed me a couple years ago. He’d either read the study or been to a continuing Ed coarse, i forget which.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back