Montana mule deer rant

brockel

I know I’ve done enough ranting about Montana mule deer but man it has gotten bad. Decided for some reason to take my rifle for a walk this morning through some amazing mule deer country because it was a nice cool morning with little wind. Not really looking for anything to shoot but I just love the country. If you could build your own prime mule deer habitat this would be it. I have hunted this spot for over 20 years and hiked it longer than that and know it like the back of my hand as I grew up just a few miles away from it. I laced them up super tight and still did not turn up a single mule deer. This country use to hold a ton of deer. The landscape has not changed in my lifetime and the amount of grazing done on it hasn’t changed. Something needs to be done as it’s sickening to see what eastern Montana mule deer have become.

Ok my rant is over. Here’s some pictures of the area
258F55D8-79C2-4811-94A0-7ED7689F3D7A.jpeg
2DDD4AF8-1994-4511-B63A-B52C7B44B1C7.jpeg

It’s sad. I feel like the antelope hunting is even worse. We were just over near Miles City and didn’t see a single antelope on public land. Very few on private. We got permission to hunt a huge block of BMA, about 40 sections, and there was not a single antelope on the whole place.

This is going to be one of those seasons, I guess. I went out this morning looking for whitetail, and saw probably 25 mulies. Didn't see a single whitetail. Wanna trade spots?

It’s sad. I feel like the antelope hunting is even worse. We were just over near Miles City and didn’t see a single antelope on public land. Very few on private. We got permission to hunt a huge block of BMA, about 40 sections, and there was not a single antelope on the whole place.

MILES CITY – Cooling weather and even possible snow will mark the opening weekend of the general big game season in southeast Montana.

Saturday’s opening day will be slightly cooler, but Sunday is forecast for highs in the low 40s, wind and a mixture of rain and snow.

On Sunday, biological check stations will be operating in the Hysham, Ashland and Glendive areas. Hunters are reminded that they must stop at these check stations even if they do not have game.

Recap of antelope opener, check station traffic

The large amount of precipitation that often accompanies the opening of the general antelope season came a week early this year. But opening day on Oct. 8 was pleasant, and the previous week’s moisture reduced fire danger, making it an attractive weekend for hunters to get out.

At the Hysham check station along I-94, 231 hunters and 180 antelope (155 bucks and 25 does) were checked. It was the most antelope checked at Hysham on the Sunday of the antelope opener dating back to at least 2007. Hunter harvest rates were above average for opening weekend at 79 percent, and most hunters reporting seeing adequate numbers of antelope.

The number of upland bird hunters checked was down, and the feedback from bird hunters was varied. One consistent comment was that the habitat conditions this year are much improved in comparison to last year.

No elk and no deer were checked at Hysham.

At the Broadus check station, workers had 151 hunters come through, and those hunters harvested 96 antelope - 76 bucks and 20 does. Harvest was similar to previous years, and many hunters were reporting seeing a lot of animals afield. A few hunters did come through who harvested some upland game birds, either in addition to antelope or specifically out pursuing them.

The Mosby check station was also on the higher end of antelope being checked in recent years, with biologists crediting that to the nice weather drawing more hunters out to the field. The station saw 135 hunters, with 108 antelope (93 bucks and 15 does). Hunter success rates were up quite a bit at 80 percent, with hunters seeing pockets of areas with good antelope numbers.

I share the same feelings as you on antelope. Looks like the check stations were busy and everyone was happy. Lots of antelope around. I must be doing something wrong. Mule deer are as bad as I’ve seen, even after the huge winter kills after 2012.

Finding whitetail isn’t a problem. They are expanding quite a bit. Seeing whitetail in places I never have before

Lol, I know. Was being facetious. Did see quite a few mulies, though - lower than usual in the area and in fairly sizeable groups, I think. Maybe check oddball spots til the weather clears?

Brockel has been doing this long enough he doesn’t need advice where to look. The deer are mainly gone in many areas. If we all do our part with doe tags maybe we can accomplish the job of ridding the landscape of them.

MILES CITY – Cooling weather and even possible snow will mark the opening weekend of the general big game season in southeast Montana.

Saturday’s opening day will be slightly cooler, but Sunday is forecast for highs in the low 40s, wind and a mixture of rain and snow.

On Sunday, biological check stations will be operating in the Hysham, Ashland and Glendive areas. Hunters are reminded that they must stop at these check stations even if they do not have game.

Recap of antelope opener, check station traffic

The large amount of precipitation that often accompanies the opening of the general antelope season came a week early this year. But opening day on Oct. 8 was pleasant, and the previous week’s moisture reduced fire danger, making it an attractive weekend for hunters to get out.

At the Hysham check station along I-94, 231 hunters and 180 antelope (155 bucks and 25 does) were checked. It was the most antelope checked at Hysham on the Sunday of the antelope opener dating back to at least 2007. Hunter harvest rates were above average for opening weekend at 79 percent, and most hunters reporting seeing adequate numbers of antelope.

The number of upland bird hunters checked was down, and the feedback from bird hunters was varied. One consistent comment was that the habitat conditions this year are much improved in comparison to last year.

No elk and no deer were checked at Hysham.

At the Broadus check station, workers had 151 hunters come through, and those hunters harvested 96 antelope - 76 bucks and 20 does. Harvest was similar to previous years, and many hunters were reporting seeing a lot of animals afield. A few hunters did come through who harvested some upland game birds, either in addition to antelope or specifically out pursuing them.

The Mosby check station was also on the higher end of antelope being checked in recent years, with biologists crediting that to the nice weather drawing more hunters out to the field. The station saw 135 hunters, with 108 antelope (93 bucks and 15 does). Hunter success rates were up quite a bit at 80 percent, with hunters seeing pockets of areas with good antelope numbers.

I share the same feelings as you on antelope. Looks like the check stations were busy and everyone was happy. Lots of antelope around. I must be doing something wrong. Mule deer are as bad as I’ve seen, even after the huge winter kills after 2012.
We only had a couple of days to hunt and we were also trying to do the youth deer hunt at the same time. I have hunted the same area for the last 3 years and deer and antelope numbers have noticeably declined. It’s really sad that some of the best habitat around is being wasted.

Lol, I know. Was being facetious. Did see quite a few mulies, though - lower than usual in the area and in fairly sizeable groups, I think. Maybe check oddball spots til the weather clears?

The mule deer in this area don’t really go anywhere. Even winter in there. Well they did when they were around

You guys must not be very good hunters. At a region 7 meeting earlier this year, the fwp employees said they were absolutely knocking it out of the park on their deer management. The deer are there boys. You guys just need to get off hunttalk and #godeeper #lacethembootstighter #keephammering #betterthanthehenrys #sarcasm

On a serious note, I have concluded the lack of deer in region 7 is mostly due to the severe droughts of 2020 and 2021 which in some areas was unprecedented drought conditions followed up by the severe spring storms we had this spring.

I’m miles deep in beautiful mule deer country on a ranch that received little to no hunting pressure last year. Total mid day deer tally = 4.

The frustrating part is the “pros” at FWP are either oblivious to how aweful things really are in region 7 this year or they really just don’t give a rip. Either way it’s a really really bad deal. Like dereliction of duty bad.

We won’t until non resident tags go unsold. Hell you should hear the bitching about only being able to hunt elk in the area you have a permit for this year.

I’ve heard that whining from literally 1100 miles away.
Boohoo. I got the tag I applied for and now I can’t join papa and unc unc and my 4 kids and all my friends and their extended families in the raghorn factory for opener.

The mule deer in this area don’t really go anywhere. Even winter in there. Well they did when they were around

Question (FNG perspective here): What pressures them to not be in areas like that at all anymore? I'm used to places where over pressure and concentration usually just leads to dwarfing or moving into new nearby territories and routes (TX, WA). Also, becoming nocturnal seems pretty standard.

Is the population really crashing that bad from people shooting does? I feel like it has to be an exaggeration, but again, FNG perspective. Feel free to condescend if there's information I can sort out of it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back