Montana Moose & Goat Tag (102 & 313)

HuntMT

I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for 102 (Eureka) and a goat tag for 313 (Crazies). Im looking for some general info on either areas. I plan on doing some scouting in the Crazies this weekend. A general place to start looking for goats would be helpful. Im from Kalispell and i live in Butte. Any info will help, this will need to be a very efficient hunting season.

HuntMT congratulations on the permits. I also have a goat permit this year in a different unit. The Crazies only have a few access points Pick one on the south end get to elevation and start glassing you will see goats. It sounds like you have the moose figured out better since it is in your old backyard.
You will get more help if you share a few stories with pictures from past hunts first. Also living in Butte there is no reason you can't make multiple trips into the crazies. make a couple scouting trips and post the pictures leaving out details such as drainages and peaks and you might be surprised at the private messages that you will get since with 84 tags a lot of people have hunted goats in the crazies. Good luck.

Always seems to be an influx of 'first posts' immediately after tags are drawn! :) I haven't hunted either of these areas, so I don't have any helpful info. Good luck on your hunts, though!

Both a moose and goat tag! Congrats on two great tags! Good luck.

There are many good places to start from, Campfire Lake being a popular starting
Point for lots of goats.

I hope you stick around HuntMT to share your hunt. This is a good place to pick up goat information. Looks like a number of hunt talkers drew goat tags. It's going to be another great year following the goat threads!

Had the Crazy tag in 2000, so info may be outdated. I found scouting this early to be useful for finding access and learning trails. The goats, moved from basin to basin a lot.

Some private landowners will allow access through their bottom land for a fee. With 84 tags getting away from people will be the biggest hurdle.

Make sure you have a land ownership map. A lot of the land inside the Crazies is private, even though it is inside a national forest.

Congrats on the great tags. I too drew a got tag in the Crazies. I will be making at least two visits to the Crazy Mountains before the season opens so I would be more than willing to share my information with you. I will PM you with any good finds.

I was fortunate enough to join HuntMT on his goat hunt. Between our group we spent a decent amount of time scouting throughout the summer. Thursday night we headed in for a 5 day hunt and the morning started with goats right out of camp. The action never stopped; each time the clouds cleared we were finding goats just about every directions we turned! That afternoon he sealed the deal on his goat. We spent the evening gorging ourselves on fresh tenderloin and back straps cooked over the campfire and reminiscing on the action packed day. Experiencing a hunt like that in incredible country with old friends I don't see much of anymore was pretty special! We finished the weekend off with some unsuccessful elk hunting and now it's back to the office dreaming of the high country.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 777
Woah those are long. Nice shot on the hill there kid!
Love mt goat! Never shot one, just love em. Cool post.

Great goat....now start working on that moose. Any other field pics?

That would be awkward.

Luckily it is Sep 1st for 313.

My apologies to the OP then. The wallet card I have from the FWP says goat season is Sept. 15. Didn't know they opened some unit early.

Some more pics from the hunt...

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_9787.jpg