Caribou Gear

Montana LE Mule Deer

wtrfwlhunter

I generally see or hear little to no discussion regarding the premier mule deer units in Montana. Considering the odds are so low as it stands I’m hoping this thread can be opened up to general conversation regarding herd strength, winter range, or any other news in these units.

That being said, did anybody hear of any outstanding bucks taken in 270 or 293 this year? For living near these units I’ve heard pretty much nothing about this last season.

I generally see or hear little to no discussion regarding the premier mule deer units in Montana. Considering the odds are so low as it stands I’m hoping this thread can be opened up to general conversation regarding herd strength, winter range, or any other news in these units.

That being said, did anybody hear of any outstanding bucks taken in 270 or 293 this year? For living near these units I’ve heard pretty much nothing about this last season.
There were some nice mule deer taken. There was a really nice one taken by a newbie woman that just moved here. She shot it and brought it through the check station beaming and proud.
One problem, no permit. She said her deer tag said good anywhere in the state.

270 has some good bucks. My youngest son (13 years old) got a 176 buck on the first day of the two-day youth hunt. When I was scouting around, I helped a guy get a much bigger buck (not sure of the score) during archery. I saw other good bucks too on the hoof that were shooters. Maybe not the 200 inch mark, but pretty dang good ones.

270 has some good bucks. My youngest son (13 years old) got a 176 buck on the first day of the two-day youth hunt. When I was scouting around, I helped a guy get a much bigger buck (not sure of the score) during archery. I saw other good bucks too on the hoof that were shooters. Maybe not the 200 inch mark, but pretty dang good ones.
Pic

Wow. Your son has great luck. Drawing 270 in his first year is awesome. mtmuley

My wife had the 270 tag. We spent quite a bit of time hunting during both archery and rifle seasons. Archery was quite frustrating; saw a few nice bucks but the deer numbers in whole were very underwhelming. Rifle season was fun; more deer overall and again we saw a few nice bucks. Seemed to be an abnormally high number of crab clawed bucks and management bucks throughout the unit. Overall, it was fun, but based on our experience a tag holder would have to keep their expectations real. Finding 175+ class bucks on public ground proved to be difficult. And a couple of the posts above tend to validate our opinion that there needs to be a greater presence of FWP personnel in the unit.

That's a heck of a permit for a 13 year old to draw so quick. Any pics of his buck?

Wow. Your son has great luck. Drawing 270 in his first year is awesome. mtmuley
Can you imagine having the permit and then getting to hunt the youth hunt a couple days early? From the sounds of it he knew a couple folks with tag.

I ran into a guy on the Bridgers working on a deer. I was on my horse so I stopped and went up the hillside just to see how big it was. The dad was with a boy and I said which one of you drew the tag. And he said we both have tags but he shot it. I said wow that's great luck to draw a tag and he said what do you mean. I said it's a special draw area. He said well we bought tags and I come every year 😬

Can you imagine having the permit and then getting to hunt the youth hunt a couple days early? From the sounds of it he knew a couple folks with tag.

I ran into a guy on the Bridgers working on a deer. I was on my horse so I stopped and went up the hillside just to see how big it was. The dad was with a boy and I said which one of you drew the tag. And he said we both have tags but he shot it. I said wow that's great luck to draw a tag and he said what do you mean. I said it's a special draw area. He said well we bought tags and I come every year 😬
So, how big was it?

I think this happens more often than we really want to know
I agree. Turned in a couple people one year. Kid had killed a great buck. Played dumb and called the Warden. The kid killed his mule deer and hunting was good so his Dad and uncle killed one too. All qualified as trophies in an LE area. No permits. mtmuley

I have heard of a few the last 2 weeks up at Gardiner after the season closes.
Must be those complicated regs.

I think this happens more often than we really want to know
Last season a women rolled through the Darby check station with a 270 buck, no permit.

She had a deer tag and was good to go. No clue she needed a permit.

Last season a women rolled through the Darby check station with a 270 buck, no permit.

She had a deer tag and was good to go. No clue she needed a permit.
Any punishment you heard of? I’m guessing ~$250 fine.

Sat in a bar in Montana after a day of elk hunting. Three tourists started telling me about their chance at a nice mule deer that day, I informed them that that unit was special permit. They were shocked and I was annoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think this happens a LOT in this particular district. There are very few wardens around, no FWP presence, very few signs about it, its close to Bozeman, and oblivious college kids (both resident and non-residents just go for a hunt). I think it also happens purposefully in this district a lot as it is so close to town and easy to just get the buck and drive it back home.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back