Caribou Gear

montana hd 310 and 362 October rifle ?

Badger_55

Hey all.. I've been scouting these two areas pretty hard over the last 2 months by computer and talking with the biologists and rangers as well. I'm trying to decide on where to camp. We will have horses but hope not to have to trailer them every day. I am wondering if you guys have any tips or suggestions you would be willing to give. I'm not sure if I want to camp further up Taylor Fork Rd vs Beaver Creek vs the west side around papoose or Indian creek?
we will be up Oct 21st so I'm kinda leaning towards Taylor fork Rd..
Tbanks for reading... you can PM as well!

There has been a lot more pressure in 362 in the last few years. Camping at the end of beaver cr. might be a good option, a ton of trails, but a lot of those trails are atv access aswell. some other lesser known trailheads might be a good option to consider...

Every trailhead on the west side had a ton of trucks and horse trailers parked there last fall. I was there in early November.

Last time I went up Beaver Creek hunting I had a goat tag and saw two Grizzlies. Haven't been back since. Beautiful country up there however. I used to love seeing all the moose along the road as a kid. Wolves changed that in a hurry.

There are plenty of elk in 362. They may or may not be accessible to you at any given time.

On one day last November I counted 24 vehicles at the Papoose Cr. trailhead. Several days later I saw about 18 at the Indian Cr. trailhead (this one can absorb a lot more pressure). I would expect plenty of company up Beaver Cr. also.

OK. Thanks for the tips. I have been starting to lean towards staying on the east side of the districts and focusing on the 310-362. Ideally I'd like to ride in from camp... I heard beaver creek does get more local pressure than anything if that sounds right? Heating out to Roscoe later this month to pickup my horse so my dad aND I might go give it a look. Im excited either way, this will be my dad n my brothers first trip with all of us together. New territory as well.. I know the northern bighorns very well but that's it.

Met up with a buddy camped at beaver cr last year for first week of rifle, and WOW. The end parking lot was overfull and so was the side of the roads starting 1/4 mile from it vs. 2-6 trucks per TH hunting the west side in '14. Most seemed to be hunting by horse. Heard a TON of shooting to the east, is it cub or cabin creek maybe?

Interesting... yeah i believe the cabin creek area is over there. Thank you for the post. I have 4 different areas in mind there but ive decided to access from a different part. Hoping i can get over there in september as well with my bow. I only be 2 hours away hunting mulies in Wyoming.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back