Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Consider MT’s potential. What hasn’t changed in 50 years, and what’s keeping things from improving. There’s deer killed in that same place nowdays that are nice, even given large and small ranches and ranchettes, the deer just don’t have a chance to survive these days to make it halfway there.

@Shed God , The vast majority of us don't mind differing opinions though FFS, put your thoughts in a single post and reply, respond in single posts. Multiple posts, one after another, gets annoying. Annoying leads to ignoring. I don't have a single person on this website's ignore list though you might be a first, good opinions or not.

Politicaly correct. Let's hunt deer in October. Chase all the elk to private. Give a shit load of tags out still. So the public will still suck for deer and worse for elk. Landowners, outfitters, non resident get what they want.

Call it what it is. Politics for the rich. Montana for sale. Don't matter republican or dem. $$$$
LE IS THE WAY TO GO TO MANAGE WILDLIFE. ERIC ALBUS IF U WERE HONEST U WOULD SAY THE SAME. BUT OPURTUNITY IS YOUR LIVELIHOOD. PRIVATE, LANDOWNERS, NON REDIDENT WANT OPPURTUNITY
All the elk get already hunted in september? A lot of areas are primarily elk or primarily mule deer - and the opportunity to fill a tag gets to people.

I dislike a lot of how of public/private/outfitter interface. But i think you read @Eric Albus a bit wrong. Despite my critiques of MOGA, subsidized ranching, and outfitting - i feel like hes someone that cares about wildlife. Did it ever occur to you that they could just sell their ranch if it was all about the dollar? I doubt small 4x4 deer make for a rich outfitter.
I don't know a resident hunter that kills a mule deer buck every yr. And nobody cares to hunt muleys every yr with the current opportunity
I know a lot that do... check out the black friday shopping in the breaks.

Last edited:
LE IS THE WAY TO GO TO MANAGE WILDLIFE. ERIC ALBUS IF U WERE HONEST U WOULD SAY THE SAME. BUT OPURTUNITY IS YOUR LIVELIHOOD. PRIVATE, LANDOWNERS, NON REDIDENT WANT OPPURTUNITY
I’m all for it. However getting the dept to go for it, and the masses is a little different. My approach is to avoid LE permits for a while, but it is where I believe we wind up. It is inevitable. When we wind up at LE permits, I’ll will lead the fight to make the permit one worth drawing, unlike a “breaks elk permit”.

It’s easy to cast disparaging words when YOU hide behind an anonymous internet moniker. Notice I don’t do that.

Had this pop up on my page. The video opener for MD public organized proposal to compliment CAC MD examination/evaluation:

A snip pic from the video clip:
View attachment 327405
I didn’t realize there was color “moving pictures “ in 1954.

I know a lot of R hunters who kill a mule deer every year. Most hold out for “a big one “, til the last weekend, then is always the same old “well I couldn’t find the big one so I shot this one last day”, or “shot him for sausage”.

Just about every NR hunter “has to fill their tag”. This justifies their trip. Even the NR doe hunter comes here with that mindset.
That said, a lot of my clients went home last 2 yrs without pulling the trigger. As did a lot of my peers clients.

I didn’t realize there was color “moving pictures “ in 1954.

Hell I’d just like to get back to this. These are just over the state line in North Dakota on public. Wish I’d have saved all the photos of bucks over the years from literally 5 miles over the state line. When you hit the state line it’s night and day difference in quality and quantity. Wife even made the comment when we were heading east a couple weeks ago about the amount of deer you see on the ND side compared to MT and ND says their numbers are down
5EF0A10E-5EAC-427C-956C-1F857D615DF9.jpeg
F93B46BF-27B0-4DC3-9E29-51A217D27D33.jpeg
560A4871-A7AA-4E6C-99EE-A0A750D1AC9D.jpeg

Hell I’d just like to get back to this. These are just over the state line in North Dakota on public. Wish I’d have saved all the photos of bucks over the years from literally 5 miles over the state line. When you hit the state line it’s night and day difference in quality and quantity. Wife even made the comment when we were heading east a couple weeks ago about the amount of deer you see on the ND side compared to MT and ND says their numbers are down
View attachment 327472
View attachment 327470
View attachment 327471

View attachment 327472
View attachment 327470
View attachment 327471
Maybe the deer heard less gun shots that way and went to the greener pasture

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back