Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Regarding "The rut"? Meh, Their goal was to recover from the overall exploitation of harvesting every brown critter through the constant settler expansion - 1900's began the efforts to "conserve" wildlife
This was my point. The "rut" wasn't a factor at that time (1900's)... It was the wide paint brush era of conservation.

I drove through south central Montana and then into Wyoming a few days ago. The difference in wildlife, especially mule deer, on that side of the border is obvious.
Whitetail also are significantly higher in Crook and Weston Counties. WY Game and Fish cut tags in 2023 50-60% on deer and pronghorn, mostly due to winter kill and the previous drought

I'd imagine back then less concern for maximizing revenue(?). Now, it seems, it's geared for a one size fits all to give the best NR/R bang for the buck. $$$

I'd imagine back then less concern for maximizing revenue(?). Now, it seems, it's geared for a one size fits all to give the best NR/R bang for the buck. $$$
Like most issues in our country....follow the money. Everytime FWP uses "opportunity" ....try substituting "revenue" and see if it doesn't fit as well or even better. Like a lot of agencies, their fixed costs have grown so....personnel, infrastructure, long term obligations.....have got them in a situation where giving up revenue is too painful to accept.

Like most issues in our country....follow the money. Everytime FWP uses "opportunity" ....try substituting "revenue" and see if it doesn't fit as well or even better. Like a lot of agencies, their fixed costs have grown so....personnel, infrastructure, long term obligations.....have got them in a situation where giving up revenue is too painful to accept.
What were the price of tags in 1980 vs today? Have they kept pace with inflation? They are certainly selling more of them, at least to NRs.

Very interesting. Where did you get that? How is it still in such good condition?
That looks like a personal copy but many are uploaded online at archive.org if you want to find more. I would assume the ones that aren't uploaded are likely at the library just not uploaded digitally.

I know the first year I bought a Montana deer tag it was about 2008 and I think it was $340 . I haven’t bought one in a while since I get the bg combo but I think b it’s over $700 now so that’s double in 15 years . That a lot

I know the first year I bought a Montana deer tag it was about 2008 and I think it was $340 . I haven’t bought one in a while since I get the bg combo but I think b it’s over $700 now so that’s double in 15 years . That a lot
I was living out of state in 1996 and had been for awhile. Missed my Montana elk hunting. Ponied up the $400 bucks or so I think for a combo NR tag deal. I would pay that now as a resident. mtmuley

What were the price of tags in 1980 vs today? Have they kept pace with inflation? They are certainly selling more of them, at least to NRs.
Not price related, but pressure has been around 150k for years. To me its too many does getting wrapped in. Screenshot_20240519-122828_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240519-122950_Chrome.jpg

A lot of the problem especially in 6&7 is the amount of does shot over the years it’s ridiculous.

Killing a mule deer doe has to be up there for one of the saddest things on this planet. I don’t understand guys that take pleasure in doing so or travel multiple states to hunt with nothing but mule deer doe tags in their pockets. Must be some weird, convoluted “western hunt” fantasy to drive out from Minnesota or Washington just to stack up a couple mule deer does off the side of a county road and feel like you accomplished something.
Although I don't disagree, you're gonna get a ton of hate for this!

I liken these hunts to shooting your neighbors Black Lab.

1983....15,000+ archery licenses. 2024.....60,000+ archery stamps if Im not mistaken.......a 4x increase in bowhunting pressure. Back then if we heard a bugle, it was likely a bull elk, Now if you hear a bugle, it is likely another hunter.....or two. Bowhunters are increasingly pushing elk onto private lands even before general season begins.

I'm betting inflation doesn't have much to do with whether or not tag prices are adjusted. And, I bet it has nothing to do with if hunters buy them or not. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adscarpernter
Back