Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana FWP: Par For The Course

Despite the platitudes about landowner/FWP relationships, I can think of little else that will cause generational disdain for State Fish and Game amongst folks who own and work the land, than those landowners working with FWP in good faith for years on a project, only to have it axed, altered, or delayed at the last moment. This not only goes for restoration projects like those mentioned above, but also land purchases, CEs, etc..

I wouldn't mind if this one is scrapped. I understand it’s purpose but I also don’t like the idea of helicopters in the Buffalo Fork.

I wouldn't mind if this one is scrapped. I understand it’s purpose but I also don’t like the idea of helicopters in the Buffalo Fork.

State Game agencies have been using helos to stock wilderness lakes forever. Should they stop that as well?

The Wilderness Act makes accomodations for stuff like this in the organic act, and usually in the originating act for the specific wilderness area.

State Game agencies have been using helos to stock wilderness lakes forever. Should they stop that as well?

The Wilderness Act makes accomodations for stuff like this in the organic act, and usually in the originating act for the specific wilderness area.

The removal in the Buffalo fork just sounds like it would be intensive and prolonged. Not just a few minutes of noise? Maybe it wouldn’t be?

I’m not necessarily against it but I’m also not opposed to it being looked at closer.

I feel like it is worth mentioning that Laura Lundquist and the Missoula Current have provided some really fantastic journalism over the legislative session. They have a contribution page for those in that neck of the woods or beyond.
Thanks for the reminder. As a big fan of Laura's work, this post triggered me to do this. Laura has done some excellent work on behalf of Montana's wild places and wild things. I hope you would consider supporting her.

The link takes you to a monthly donation form, but if you want to do a one-time PayPal, use this email - [email protected]. Having a place for Laura's work to be published is very helpful the cause.

First they came for our elk...

Whoa... those rainbows are a huge threat to the native populations starting at the headwaters, especially the Lamar where the creek dumps in. My daughter and I camped in the meadow many years ago. There's nothing but dinky rainbow in water that big cutthroat would thrive in.

The concern from the "wilderness" group is asinine. For example, they rehabilitated Woodward lake in the Bob Marshal. There is already an outfitter camp up there so it's not like an occasional recreational camper is going to affect things. If nothing else, the infestation of grizzly bears will keep the people out.

Unfortunately, the thought that pops into my head is "elections have consequences". I don't want to paint FWP with a broad brush on this. The decision came from the top.

Which is why there was such a massive push in the 1930's to separate wildlife mgt from politics.
Apparently that massive push must have been done by the citizens... because it seems the politicians are still not listening. heh. I shared in another thread the micro managing as each party plays their games creates a bi-polar mentality and that is EXACTLY what we have in mT.

Apparently that massive push must have been done by the citizens... because it seems they're still not listening. heh. I shared in another thread the micro managing as each party plays their games creates a bi-polar mentality and that is EXACTLY what we have in mT.

'72 Montana Constitutional Convention was where it was at. Anymore, we would have to make it an initiative. Too many fat cats enjoying carving up the largesse for themselves.

'72 Montana Constitutional Convention was where it was at. Anymore, we would have to make it an initiative. Too many fat cats enjoying carving up the largesse for themselves.
I reply to you because of your knowledge and experience. Let me know what I have wrong. The last 10yrs of politics in general, federal and local, have evolved to competition rather than cooperation. That is the core obstacle. For MT, I would like to start putting together a list of things we want for 2023 and see if we can get other groups like MOGA on board. Maybe we are willing to give them 30% of the NR licenses in an early draw if they support some things we want. Just speaking for myself, I am willing to come away with less than what I want if I get something of benefit in return. The impediment is that some clown in Helena can easily amend one thing in and strike something out in an 11th hour change and jam it down either groups throat. We have to agree not to allow that to happen. Maybe I am an idealist in my view, but if we work together we can get more done and all end up in a better place.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back