Montana FWP makes seismic shift in elk permits

Ehh.. hard to say. I am okay with the unlimited cow tags on private land only in 2X over objective units.

I am not okay with unlimited archery permits or general license for archery from the unbundling of the 900 series permit.

I would have supported unbundling the 900 series into single unit permits with a high quota and first choice only.

I totally support hunting only in the unit for which the permit is valid for all special permits across the board.
The biologists have the hunter estimates and breakouts for each individual unit going back to at least 2012. They also knew the general satisfaction level for the majority of hunters in these units. There would have been no reason to set “high” quotas. They could have simply maintained the status quo or in fact improved the quality of the hunt by setting said quota below last years level if so warranted.

The biologists have the hunter estimates and breakouts for each individual unit going back to at least 2012. They also knew the general satisfaction level for the majority of hunters in these units. There would have been no reason to set “high” quotas. They could have simply maintained the status quo or in fact improved the quality of the hunt by setting said quota below last years level if so warranted.
I didn’t know that. My thought for a high quota was to ease some of the outfitter angst over the 90/10 limit and the difficulty of clients drawing with any regularity.

I didn’t know that. My thought for a high quota was to ease some of the outfitter angst over the 90/10 limit and the difficulty of clients drawing with any regularity.
The biologist in the unit I hunt had a number in mind for the new quota. It was a solid proposal and plan. He is a really good biologist. I’m not sure he ever got to pitch it to anyone except what got written in the justification document completed by the bio’s. What a bogus process.

We will be taking a step back in time circa like 2007 but now with all the increased demand, population, etc. ought to be a real sh!t show in my unit next year.

Honestly I don’t think their is a way to throw the landowners a “bone” that’s not detrimental to the public land hunt with out some sort of landowner set aside tag whether it be increasing the landowner preference somehow or designated tags for private lands. Any increase in tags not so designated will be disproportionately hunted on the public lands making said problems worse. I say split the quota. The private can have their own draw and do things their way. They are going to anyway.

The biologists have the hunter estimates and breakouts for each individual unit going back to at least 2012. They also knew the general satisfaction level for the majority of hunters in these units.
I've drawn 900-20 almost every year after 2012. I wonder how biologists know hunter (assuming you mean days) estimates, as well as "satisfaction". I've never been asked those questions. One of the big things this state needs is mandatory hunter reporting, but maybe I live in my own little vacuum.

I've drawn 900-20 almost every year after 2012. I wonder how biologists know hunter (assuming you mean days) estimates, as well as "satisfaction". I've never been asked those questions. One of the big things this state needs is mandatory hunter reporting, but maybe I live in my own little vacuum.
You would have to talk to the Bio but he had estimates for total hunters that hunted on the public lands as well as satisfaction ratings. He was going to use that for setting quotas. Obviously that won't be happening. I have had the 900-20 every year since inception. I don't recall ever giving them anything short of when they cold call you so those are great questions.

You would have to talk to the Bio but he had estimates for total hunters that hunted on the public lands as well as satisfaction ratings. He was going to use that for setting quotas. Obviously that won't be happening. I have had the 900-20 every year since inception. I don't recall ever giving them anything short of when they cold call you so those are great questions.
I wonder how accurate the data would that a biologist would have on which units were hunted by 900 series permit holders?

I wonder how accurate the data would that a biologist would have on which units were hunted by 900 series permit holders?
Anecdotally it matched my experiences in the unit but you know how that goes. 12 guys can pile up at one trail head while the other 5 don't have anybody.

You'd think in a world of "Smartphones", FWP could pay some Bozeman Tech company to come up with an FWP App where you could access E-copies of your tags and report your harvest, to include a generalized GPS coordinate (to meet the possible request of leading a game warden back to the site of your kill upon request), report other wildlife sightings (wolves, bears, moose etc.), and complete a general survey about hunter days/quality of the hunt....
The data would be nearly instant, far more accurate, and could then shape Future Management Plans in the year 2092 when FWP begins using science and data to shape management plans for the remaining 110 statewide Mule Deer and Elk.

You'd think in a world of "Smartphones", FWP could pay some Bozeman Tech company to come up with an FWP App where you could access E-copies of your tags and report your harvest, to include a generalized GPS coordinate (to meet the possible request of leading a game warden back to the site of your kill upon request), report other wildlife sightings (wolves, bears, moose etc.), and complete a general survey about hunter days/quality of the hunt....
The data would be nearly instant, far more accurate, and could then shape Future Management Plans in the year 2092 when FWP begins using science and data to shape management plans for the remaining 110 statewide Mule Deer and Elk.
Oregon figured it out several years ago.

We can't stop hordes of hunters hammering piss head mule deer during the rut. Doubt an app would help at this point. Would be great if it was accepted. Still a lot of Montana hunters that aren't tech savvy also. mtmuley

We can't stop hordes of hunters hammering piss head mule deer during the rut. Doubt an app would help at this point. Would be great if it was accepted. Still a lot of Montana hunters that aren't tech savvy also. mtmuley
My 87 year old grandma figured out a smart phone and a computer. I think most can figure it out or know someone that can help them

Fwp Could do a lot of things. I don't think they want hard black and white numbers.
I don't understand why #'s are so challenging to FWP. Not the first aspect of FWP I don't comprehend...

I talked to our biologist about mandatory reporting earlier this year. Making it all electronic and she loved the idea of having all of that data compared to what they have now. Next year they are going to do a volunteer electronic reporting I believe.

I talked to our biologist about mandatory reporting earlier this year. Making it all electronic and she loved the idea of having all of that data compared to what they have now. Next year they are going to do a volunteer electronic reporting I believe.
Woresch specifically addressed this at the R1 meeting, a few (several?) months ago. He shared it would start voluntary with the learning curve to slope towards hopeful mandatory.
Shared how the phone will work as a tag, even out of service. The app would allow the hunter to photo and date / stamp. Once back in cell area, it would automatically update to show your harvest, etc. No more paper, etc.

Initially I held hope Worsech would be ok. At the meeting, I entered it not thinking to highly of him, during / after, I felt better though caught onto a lot of soft, non binding content - all the while Commissioner Tabor sat quiet and let Worsech take the hits. I'm far from a fan of Worsech now however, there are some great program(s) such as the tagging that has so many great perks!

Mandatory harvest reporting within 48 hours of kill and an annual harvest survey. Completion of the survey generates a key code that will allow you to purchase a license the following year. Miss the end date of the survey and you don’t buy a license next year.

Mandatory harvest reporting within 48 hours of kill and an annual harvest survey. Completion of the survey generates a key code that will allow you to purchase a license the following year. Miss the end date of the survey and you don’t buy a license next year.
This^
No crybaby stuff. Everybody has a smartphone. Those most in need usually have a brand new utv in front.
Mandatory reporting gives biologist real information which in turn provides real data for real management.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back