Montana Fwp advertising

Hey it’s thanksgiving, I’ve been at the bar for 3 days , may as well go out after next beer , stop at c store get some cigarettes and a $16 deer tag and go plug my muley ....

I think that scenario happens , a lot unfortunately

Choosing the wrong elk permit of my top two. Not a huge deal, but unfortunate with all the time I put into my research.
I did that once. Caught it before the deadline. Called them and withdrew it. Lost the opportunity to reapply for the current season LE draw and lost that years point.
Better than drawing an easy tag with a crap load of points.
It was years ago. Don’t know if anything changed since then.

What cost ? You pay peanuts . Totally don’t want to start a new thread or argument but Montana Resident prices for hunting big game are a absolute joke . They are Wayyyy to cheap .NRs fund the Fwp . And that’s how it should be but the resident prices should be higher - shows just how much Fwp values the states resources
Resident tags are definitely cheap, but at the same time I have yet to hunt out of state because of the costs. I do wonder how MT compares with other states for resident tags.

I did that once. Caught it before the deadline. Called them and withdrew it. Lost the opportunity to reapply for the current season LE draw and lost that years point.
Better than drawing an easy tag with a crap load of points.
It was years ago. Don’t know if anything changed since then.
Yeah that still isn't ideal, but glad you didn't lose all your points! I'll just make sure I'm rock solid on my choice next year. I only have 3 elk points so I kind of want to draw a rifle tag soon anyway so I can draw archery tags more often.

@BigSky_KShuck and @1_pointer

To all MT residents complaining about price...

Does not include base licenses or conservation stamps.

CA Elk $484.20
NE Elk $189
SD Elk $175
AZ Elk $135
NV Elk $120.00
KY Elk $100.00
MI elk $100.00
WY Elk $57
CO Elk $56.88
OK Elk $51.00
WA Elk $50.40
UT Elk $50.00
MO Elk $50.00
OR Elk $49.50
MN Elk $49
NM Elk $36.75
ID Elk $30.75
TN Elk $34.00
ND Elk $30
PA Elk $25
TX Elk $25*
MT Elk $20
Alaska Elk $0 ($30)*

*Cost for TX Resident License, which allows hunting exotics aka elk
*Alaska doesn't charge residents for hunting other than a locking tag for some species, elk is a draw tag only $5 per entry up to 6, reasonable to assume it cost $30 for a resident to get an elk tag.

Last edited:
As a MT resident it's shameful how inexpensive it is for licenses. Saying you'd be okay raising the price "a little" is almost shocking. 50-100% increase and we'd still be ridiculously cheap. My teenage daughter works a cleaning job 4-6 hours a week and makes $25/hour. She can pay for an elk license in about 45 minutes of vacuuming.

I skied Big Sky one day this winter and dropped more $ than I did (LIFT TICKETS ALONE for 2) than I did for household (4 people) to buy EACH sportsman's licenses including deer elk bear fishing birds, AND apply for moose, sheep, goat, bison, antelope, elk and deer permits, elk and deer B. That's 4 people, ALL that EACH. Joke.

*** disclaimer - my son got the family complimentary sportsman's license since we are enrolled in block mgt. Otherwise, I might have approached the price of 2 lift tickets for 6 hours of skiing.

As a MT resident it's shameful how inexpensive it is for licenses. Saying you'd be okay raising the price "a little" is almost shocking. 50-100% increase and we'd still be ridiculously cheap. My teenage daughter works a cleaning job 4-6 hours a week and makes $25/hour. She can pay for an elk license in about 45 minutes of vacuuming.

I skied Big Sky one day this winter and dropped more $ than I did (LIFT TICKETS ALONE for 2) than I did for household (4 people) to buy EACH sportsman's licenses including deer elk bear fishing birds, AND apply for moose, sheep, goat, bison, antelope, elk and deer permits, elk and deer B. That's 4 people, ALL that EACH. Joke.

*** disclaimer - my son got the family complimentary sportsman's license since we are enrolled in block mgt. Otherwise, I might have approached the price of 2 lift tickets for 6 hours of skiing.
In the 1950s it was $10 for an elk tag in CO.

In todays dollars $10 = $100. So CO residents have some work to do.

I just bought my epic passes for my wife and I and spent more than all the apps and tags I’ve applied for this year across the west. Barring a NR sheep tag I will spend far more on skiing than hunting.

Last edited:

I would certainly spend more every year if that's what was required to continue enjoying my favorite past time, I certainly do on gear and hunting related resources. Even doubling the cost seems reasonable for an elk tag. Like almost everything, I'm sure there is a balance for a decision like this. Those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself can lead the way and I'll continue listening and learning.

There is a Handful of tags I would love to draw in California!
Just sayin’
Oh I bet there is, but if the resident price is that high I'm not sure I want to hear what nonresident is! :oops:

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back