Montana extends season (whitetail) for CWD

If it’s that much of an emergency let’s take drastic measures.
We could release EHD infected midges this spring. A good EHD outbreak is going to be far more effective at reducing whitetail populations than even the most intense extended hunting season and EHD is not going to worry about whose land it is on.

They do take location data so that should help. It's a swag. Mandatory testing would probably be more likely to help remove any bias in the data from people being more likely to have a deer tested if it looks sick. But at this time they seem to be operating on the principle that reducing population is more important than knowing if it is 35% or 45%. The important statistic will be how many deer are alive in the spring.
Yet it appears they're killing deer in areas that have zero prevalence...and further aren't requiring testing to see if it is present.

Makes sense...unless you think about it.

Also, here at ground zero of CWD, it seems that prevalence is leveling off or even declining in herds where they've done nothing to control it.

But by all means, continue the slaughter.

Yet it appears they're killing deer in areas that have zero prevalence...and further aren't requiring testing to see if it is present.

Makes sense...unless you think about it.

If you can take a break from your thinking and read a bit, the info I posted from Waltee has the logic for the kill, and nobody is saying testing will stop.

Do you have any papers/citations on this? I would be interested to read.
All I have to offer is the testing results and what the local biologists present every year to the public on CWD prevalence in the Laramie Range mule deer herd.

The last few years have seen a leveling off and even slight decline in the prevalence of the deer they tested.

All I have to offer is the testing results and what the local biologists present every year to the public on CWD prevalence in the Laramie Range mule deer herd.

The last few years have seen a leveling off and even slight decline in the prevalence of the deer they tested.
Thanks. I would indeed be very curious to see data, sampling methods and analyses on this if anyone happens to have/know where to find it.

Shoulder season tags should only be valid on private land. As for the science, smarter folks than me are working on it. I have nothing else to add to this "bluecollar complaint session."

Still no positives in 325, 329, 331 or 340.
I forgot to reply back after I heard back. It seems they didn't have the positives in those areas, which came down to someone reading through the lists of positives too quick. I'll issue the mea culpa on that one.

Just another note on this, in accordance with the state's CWD management plan, the driving factor behind the hunts was to address whitetail deer densities.

No worries.

I do understand FWP's thought process on this, much more so now than when they first announced the hunt. It's way outside of my wheelhouse to know whether or not it's the right move, but it's ballsy either way. I hope it works, it WAS an incredible resource.
Fixed it...Montana does its best to make everything past tense.

A few examples off the top of my head,

1. Elk hunting WAS good west of Missoula.
2. Flathead lake HAD a great kokanee fishery
3. Holter Reservoir HAD a great kokanee fishery
4. The Bitterroots HAD a great mountain goat herd
5. Hauser Reservoir HAD a great kokanee fishery
6. The Belmont peak, gold creek area HAD a great mule deer herd
7. There used to be good deer hunting in SE Montana.
8. Upper Rock creek HAD a great sheep herd
9. Bonner HAD a great sheep herd
10. The bighole HAD good elk and moose hunting

Feel free to add your favorites.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back