Montana extends season (whitetail) for CWD

Well crap! I can finish out waterfowl season and still have 3 weeks to do my part and help “slow the spread” looking for a buck. Lol.

Hahahaha. This doesn't surprise me a bit. The only animal in the state that has managed to survive in spite of FwP needs to be managed "properly."

Control the population by shooting bucks, makes total sense because those bucks are more likely to spread CWD.

Anyone else see the writing on the wall?

So do you guys think this is a Way to sell more Tags in the future? Seems like guys are skeptical but I really don’t know
Enough about the area or effectiveness of tactics like this for “managing” CWD

I actually thought covid>cwd didn’t hear much chat during season but here we go. Our Canadian friends have had it much longer than we have and they are doing just fine.

It feels like shoulder seasons could be turning into ad-hoc quota systems for deer and elk. Cow elk is extended by 6 weeks in several 200 HDs. Now either sex deer in 300 HDs?

My buck just tested positive for CWD, I won't feed it to my kids, but if anyone here wants to step up I'll give you some meat ;)
I wouldn’t eat it but let’s test every single deer that gets shot and try to get an idea of where this is headed before we start eliminating herds.

I am unsure what good it will do, but here's some more info for everyone:
  • Currently, our best science on management is limiting herd numbers and density. Specifically, younger bucks are thought to be the greatest transmitters of CWD. Citations here and here.
  • Every unit in this special CWD hunt has had a positive. Given the prevalence, it is highly likely the density in surrounding areas is greater than what we know thus far. You can check the map on FWP or you can call the State Vet's office 577-7880.
  • This hunt shouldn't be a surprise, our CWD Management Plan calls for these actions.
  • It is pretty clear from studies out of WI and WV that if nothing is done, infection rates skyrocket and population crashes are significantly worse. Citation here.
  • CWD Management Hunts are different from shoulder season elk hunts with different goals.
  • Montana isn't bonkers, but following the best practices based on the best science and recommendations from WAFWA.
There is far more info at http://cwd-info.org/

I know FWP is a favorite target of many. I also know that FWP is not infallible. The struggle with CWD is real with an impact that could be far more reaching than any of us as hunters could imagine. There is a genuine concern and a passion to mitigate CWD within the ranks of FWP.

I wouldn’t eat it but let’s test every single deer that gets shot and try to get an idea of where this is headed before we start eliminating herds.
The herd won’t be eliminated. Not by a long shot. 95% of the deer reside on private land, where they cannot be hunted unless you’re in like Flynn or willing to pay. The 5% on public are going to take a serious beating. And there is no requirement to submit a test sample. This kind of insanity is why public land hunting is so shitty nowadays. Unanimous decision by the commission.. we are screwed, as if that hasn’t been obvious for quite some time.

The herd won’t be eliminated. Not by a long shot. 95% of the deer reside on private land, where they cannot be hunted unless you’re in like Flynn or willing to pay. The 5% on public are going to take a serious beating. And there is no requirement to submit a test sample. This kind of insanity is why public land hunting is so shitty nowadays. Unanimous decision by the commission.. we are screwed, as if that hasn’t been obvious for quite some time.
I understand that but fwp’s logic behind this is completely flawed. To do what they are doing you would have to have the private land pounded just as hard as the public. Landowners won’t allow that to happen.

I understand that but fwp’s logic behind this is completely flawed. To do what they are doing you would have to have the private land pounded just as hard as the public. Landowners won’t allow that to happen.
This is simply not true. As stewards they take great pride in managing the land, including wildlife. I am aware of several in the CWD zone who are actively looking for people to help with this hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back