Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Elk/Wolves

thecrittergitter

Sorry, no pics but spent a couple days finally chasing elk for myself this week here in Montana. First day was quite a day, saw 13 damn wolves. Saw a group of elk go trotting into a small patch of timber and unfortunately , those wolves put an end to one of them. Sat there watching, and suprisingly enough, still managed to see 15 bulls that day, unfortunately none quite the caliber i'm looking for. Wolves howled all day long and you should have watched those elk, you talk about jittery, holy cow.

Went back to the same spot two days later, saw 3 bulls, one decent six point about 300 or so but no big ones. Saw that small group of cows and spikes that the wolves cleaned one out of, and now the herd is half.

I'm sure that but this time next week, they will have every elk in that drainage killed or run out. I sure hope that something happens soon with this whole wolf issue or these days of seeing 15 bulls in a day will be no more................

All the pics i snapped that day did not turn out, all were too blurry for some reason.

I spent 4 days hunting where there are NO wolves and saw ZERO elk.. and I busted my ass.... Dang Matt...you have got it figured out where they are at least.

I hope you scared a couple wolves...

critter, if your hunting a general hunting area, I'd say hunting's pretty good, even with the wolves. Hope we can hunt them again soon. You would have had a great trophy if that were the case.

i agree with SS. 10 bulls and a one 300 inch elk is a damn good day, more than I've seen in a long time in a single day. You're going to have people looking for your truck with this info and hunters will be killing more of those elk than the wolves will..

Dude..... I poached your topic and story (Kind of). But I haven't seen any 300" elk. We're only seeing spikes. I think the Woves are eating all the big ones... ;)

Yeah, Id sure be happy with the 300 bull... I'd ask you to take me to him Matt, but then he couldn't grow into a 330 bull for you next year!

i agree with SS. 10 bulls and a one 300 inch elk is a damn good day, more than I've seen in a long time in a single day. You're going to have people looking for your truck with this info and hunters will be killing more of those elk than the wolves will..

Well, they can look for my truck...........it will be in my driveway:):) Ive been trading vehicles with a couple buddies off and on. Have only driven my truck one day, and saw crap there, so, i hope they all go there:):)

Agreed its a good day, and i like seeing the elk for sure but I don't want to pack a small one out that far so gotta hold out......

Nobody is going to feel sorry for you for not seeing that many elk...........when the first two you see every time are huge you jackwagon:):);)

Yeah, Id sure be happy with the 300 bull... I'd ask you to take me to him Matt, but then he couldn't grow into a 330 bull for you next year!

I'm not positive he was 300" but he was in the ballpark. Once they get over 300" i don't know how to kill them anyway. Today was case in point. Finally found a big one today and chased him from 7:30 am until dark. That big sob ran me through a few miles of steep azz downfall in knee deep snow. Smartest old bull i've ever chased. You should have seen some of the circles and backtracking he did. I only caught one glimpse of him as i was tripping over some logs:)

I chased this bull all day and went at least 4 miles on his tracks and literally ended up giving up less than 50 yards from where i cut his track first thing in the AM.

Critter,

Send me those GPS coordinates and I will take care of those 13 wolves for you. ;) Don't go one uppin the wife...that is bad karma man. You should know better. Let her have the big bull this year and your life will be better...LOL!! Good luck finding the bull you are looking for.

I chased this bull all day and went at least 4 miles on his tracks and literally ended up giving up less than 50 yards from where i cut his track first thing in the AM.

LMAO...thats still better than my 4 day weekend of brutality in the Little Belts. I found a total of 3 fresh tracks in 4 days and all three led me to a private fence line!!!!! Mudder Fugger.... that sucked!

If you need moral support this weekend... I think I'll be somewheres in that direction...(or back pack support)...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back