Montana Elk Proposals with Director Hank Worsech

Gerald Martin, just be honest about your experiences and thoughts. Honesty is hard to find these days.

I'd like to take a moment to thank @Big Fin for everything he does- from keeping this platform going, fighting the good fight for public lands and wildlife, and the ability to maintain a civil, adult conversation on his podcast in order to get as much information as possible out to those of us it may effect.

So I'll raise my glass to you, and I guess I owe you a Dilly Bar if we ever do cross paths (since you can't have a beer).

Forced a listen to the whole podcast while doing my MT spring bear prep workouts. A few observations.

-Without context, Hank’s explanations sound halfway decent. With context, it’s about 80% blowing smoke.

-He repeatedly references landowner needs, wants, gripes, issues, and the mandate for his office to address these. When he references the same coming from public land hunters he cites reasons to discredit, discount, or delegitimize them.

-Some vocabulary words he uses don’t mean the same thing to him as they do to others. Ex, “access” to him means ease of well-connected and/or deep-pocketed hunters in getting bull tags for private ground.

-Odd logic trail. “We have to manage the elk where they are, not where we want them to be.” As a consequence of liberal elk tags and liberal seasons, many MT elk are pushed off public on to private sanctuaries. Therefore, changes to seasons and tags reflect 90% of landowner concerns if 90% of elk are on their land during hunting season. The public land hunter is an extreme minority stakeholder.

-Beats around the bush regarding the elephant in the room: You elected GG and knew what you were getting. If you want a different direction, elect different representatives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back