Montana Elk Proposals with Director Hank Worsech

Hank is doing “get the conversation going” thing again. They specifically told him not to do that.

I’m pretty sure he just said the FWP biologists don’t understand his plan as well. I bet they don’t because it is non-sense.

I hope the commissioners take a confidence vote tomorrow.
Does the commission have the authority to ask for the director’s resignation?

Does the commission have the authority to ask for the director’s resignation?
No, but they could send a clear message to the Governor who can dispose of Hank and a few other members of the leadership team that are technically appointees. Even just getting a vote would send a clear message, everyone wants some adults in the room from FWP.

Hank’s equilibrium must be outstanding. To not get dizzy with all of that circle talk is impressive. Cows are crumbs but the list are full. But 100’s were harvested just thru 454. Did those hunters know they were crumb clean up?

What are folks' impressions of how the Commission is perceiving all this? I can't watch and wont be able to for a while
I caught maybe 50% of it but there were definitely commissioners that seemed gunshy about the gravity and magnitude of changes and how fast everything seemed to be happening. Byorth doesn't seem on board with Hank.

I'm more optimistic than I was previously knowing 6 of the 7 are GG appointees.

I can’t attend but someone needs to make it clear, many of “the public” have a very good understanding of the unlimited permits. I wanted to pull my hair out when they were discussing this. Yes nr licenses are capped!! But with unlimited permits there is no nr cap on the permits. It only takes a fraction of the 20k or so nr licenses in these units to totally fubar the public land hunt. That’s the point!!

I was impressed with the line of questions and comments from both Commissioner Waller and Commissioner Walsh. I thought at one point Commissioner Walsh asked why the initial FWP proposed elk regulations that resulted from the listening sessions around the state in the fall and the work of the biologists were abruptly scrapped right before the December 14th Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting and who made those decisions and what rationale was employed. I think I likely know the answers to these questions, but I hope that string is pulled on a little more during tomorrow’s meeting in the context of public disclosure.

Reading between the lines, I got the feeling the unlimited elk either-sex archery permits might be transformed into a limited draw but with an artificially high quota. Where the 50 percent increase in the general firearm either-sex elk permits will go tomorrow is anybody’s guess.

I can’t attend but someone needs to make it clear, many of “the public” have a very good understanding of the unlimited permits. I wanted to pull my hair out when they were discussing this. Yes nr licenses are capped!! But with unlimited permits there is no nr cap on the permits. It only takes a fraction of the 20k or so nr licenses in these units to totally fubar the public land hunt. That’s the point!!
That's what I was thinking when Worsech kept downplaying it by saying it won't be a big increase of NR's compared to past years. I was waiting for someone to call him out, but nobody did.

With this proposal, you could theoretically have 10k plus non-residents all get unlimited tags in the same unit, then be restricted to only that unit all archery season. Sure hope the commission is aware of that.

The hunting pressure concerns are not just non residents. The pressure under 900-20 is extremely high by residents. Residents are gonna have to give up some of the opportunity as well. Everybody wants only a solution that results in them getting a tag every year. We gotta stop that.

The hunting pressure concerns are not just non residents. The pressure under 900-20 is extremely high by residents. Residents are gonna have to give up some of the opportunity as well. Everybody wants only a solution that results in them getting a tag every year. We gotta stop that.
Unfortunately I think the best we could hope for out of this season setting is status quo to moderate increase in pressure. Chit show is an understatement during peak rut in a few of the 900s

I think a landowner saying exactly this during the February 4th commission meeting would be the kind of tonic we'd all like to mix w/our Gin.
I have to think that the perspectives of landowners like yourself would carry way more weight with this commission than Joe Average Hunter.

But still send the email. Mine don’t get replys and I think they were not bad. I can’t imagine how more convincing anybody would be than you would..
I was gonna make light with a snarky comment about Doordash delivering hay in southeast MT.....but I don't want to make light of the fact that @antlerradar would REALLY be good infront of a microphone in Helena.

@antlerradar MAKES AN IMPACT!

If anything, it is the quotes above that made an impact.

I am heading up in the morning. My son had basketball tonight so I didn’t get to watch the working session. Anything in particular that I should watch before I testify tomorrow? Time code prompts would be appreciated.

"Our management is working" (we have an abundance of elk)

"when you remove the biologists from the discussion, you remove the community from the discussion"

"Just remember we are the most successful fish and wildlife management program in the nation in my opinion and our success should not be undermined to address a smaller set of problems" ..."we live and die by grassroots"

- Commissioner Byorth

A couple good points amongst others that Byorth made. Good on him for speaking up.
@Gerald Martin
This was said in the last 8 min or so. He said it with passion and wanted to focus on the problem units, not the whole state.

Hank talked about the lack of data he had from the 454 but it would make big changes this next year. Also the amount of landowners wanting to be part of it now.

I would double down and tie these two points together for them. Why is the tail wagging the dog when we have this tool in place and the data has not been reviewed for the impact it’s going to make. Let the data drive the policy decisions next year.

I sent mine in as well.

I just thought it would be great if the MOGA R7 Director would share his thoughts directly to the Commission face to face or through Zoom. I think it could have gone a long way.
Great point. I tried calling a few times and could not get an answer, which I’m sure he’s been covered up. I get it.

@Gerald Martin
This was said in the last 8 min or so. He said it with passion and wanted to focus on the problem units, not the whole state.

Hank talked about the lack of data he had from the 454 but it would make big changes this next year. Also the amount of landowners wanting to be part of it now.

I would double down and tie these two points together for them. Why is the tail wagging the dog when we have this tool in place and the data has not been reviewed for the impact it’s going to make. Let the data drive the policy decisions next year.

Great point about letting data drive policy. Would be hard to suggest that without pointing out that they have seemingly deliberately avoiding using data to support these proposals.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back