Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana elk episode

Randy

Awesome episode! I don't have kids yet, and I hunt with my dad as often as I can. I know it means a lot to him that we get out together (my mom tells me how much ;-)), but I can tell you that it also means the world to me to be able to hunt with him.

Randy, I noticed that your son and you both had your rifles slung in front. What are you using for slings and does it work well? I have been looking for a way to carry my rifle when hiking with a pack. This looks like it might work well.

Randy, I noticed that your son and you both had your rifles slung in front. What are you using for slings and does it work well? I have been looking for a way to carry my rifle when hiking with a pack. This looks like it might work well.

Yup, those were Kifaru Gun Bearers. I saw crittergetter using them and decided to try it. Now, it is part of the "don't hunt the mountains without it" kind of gear.

This kind of episode really makes a show. Do you have to pay extra for the chopper to haul out an elk or two?

This kind of episode really makes a show. Do you have to pay extra for the chopper to haul out an elk or two?

Whatever the airtime it takes, such is the cost. The dang camera men dumped two cows right after we finished filming, raising the cost this year to $800 per guy. In past years we kept it right around $700, but in those years, we only had one elk to haul out.

I do have pictures of an elk dangling from a helicopter. Felt kind of guilty, but not sure how I would pack those elk out to the truck. Maybe by levitating over private land. :confused:

Got any advice for a guy hunting your neck of the woods in late September/early October?

Yup, those were Kifaru Gun Bearers. I saw crittergetter using them and decided to try it. Now, it is part of the "don't hunt the mountains without it" kind of gear.
A big hearty YES! My first piece of 'good' hunting gear was a Kifaru backpack that I bought about 2002. It came with a Gun Bearer and now I can't imagine hunting with a pack on without one. Very good idea.

Great show Randy. It really hit home for me. This will be my first year hunting without my boy. He's is currently at MCRD San Diego for his Marine Corp boot camp. He graduates at the end of August, and may go with me on my bighorn ewe hunt during his leave, but that's all I will get for quite a while.

great show...I really enjoyed it...and I remember the first trip you did there.There can't be much more fun to be had than a trip like that with your Son...

plus I really love the way you pulled off getting to that landlocked land...:)

With those Gun Bearers, can you shoulder the gun without taking it off like a regular sling? I have a place I am thinking about hunting this year which will require me to hunt on hands and knees and that would really be the ticket.

I do have pictures of an elk dangling from a helicopter. Felt kind of guilty, but not sure how I would pack those elk out to the truck. Maybe by levitating over private land.

I bumped into Randy at an event and saw the photos for myself, the elk definitely levitated it's way out - it was a magic trick like no other!

With those Gun Bearers, can you shoulder the gun without taking it off like a regular sling? I have a place I am thinking about hunting this year which will require me to hunt on hands and knees and that would really be the ticket.
No you can't. It's not really a sling, but a pocket and strap that fits on your backpack to hold the gun. A quick pull on the top strap and the gun can be removed from the pocket. Takes longer to read than do. Also, one can still keep a regular sling attached to the rifle while using a GB, I do.

Watched it again with my son who is home after graduation. He got the message. Got him a doe on Black Friday chasing cow elk for a couple more days.
Need to rig rifles better when hiking; what is that rig you used in video?

Watched it again with my son who is home after graduation. He got the message. Got him a doe on Black Friday chasing cow elk for a couple more days.
Need to rig rifles better when hiking; what is that rig you used in video?

Hope you take advantage of all those days you can. They get more scarce every year.

That rig you see us using for our rifles is a Kifaru Gun Bearer. Link below.

http://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

I alter it a little bit when I am hiking. Lucky for me, I never have any quick shot opportunities due to cameras, so I can lock it on the side of my pack and out of the way, and still be ready before the camera is, in the event we see an animal.

Stopped in Denver and picked up one before my hunt this year. The Gun Bearer is pretty slick, loved having hands free to hike. My only beef was that on occasion the gun would twist where the scope was out rather than under my arm, was kind of a pain while trying to pick my way through oak brush... Anybody else have that issue? Could be operator error...

Sorry for the delays in letting you know that Fresh Tracks can now be viewed online at CarbonTV. If you go to this link, you will get to watch the Montana elk episode that was the story told in this thread. If you read the thread, you already know the outcome, but the episode is worth watching.

http://www.carbontv.com/videos/trNzN5bjo29nc7z7Hz3iJ093RpFE9KW5

Just watched it again. Reminds me of the many blessings in life; a great family, tons of public land, and the opportunity to tell this public land hunting story.

Hope you watch it and will share it with your friends. The more views, the better.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back