MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana elk episode

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow we will air the Montana elk episode that we wrote about on this thread. Nice that when we got to Wyoming for our antelope, we finally broke the bad luck curse and have since that hunt, things started rolling our way.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=252739

So many ask what the cost is for doing it this way. A lot depends on how far you have to fly, as it is mostly a function of airtime. If you set it up right and you have your logistics in order, you can cut down on flight time by going in very light and by having a shuttle spot near by, reducing the long flights to/from for each trip.

For the cost of $700 per person, the price to access this ground, relative to the quality it provides, is worth paying the transporter. I pay that much to a transporter for a black bear hunt in Alaska. Crazy the price people are paying for these most expensive elk hunts. Well over $10K and in a few more years, some of them will be at $15K.

This place is a frustrating place to hunt, as most often the elk are not on public and even when you do catch them crossing, what is a mile as the crow flies is often three miles, up and down, around and around, keeping on the public ground. Requires a lot of walking, much patience, and as with any hunt, a little good luck goes a long ways. This hunt, we got lucky, no doubt.

I continue to search for places in WY, CO, and NM where this same thing can be done. I have found some pretty high-demand spots with great hunting, but I am lacking one very important thing - a tag. Some day, I will have a tag and it will work out.

I do worry that if I do this too much and continue to push the access issue, people will think this is getting too far out of reach for what the average traveling hunter might be willing to pay. So, I don't see us doing more than one per season, and possibly will have some seasons where we don't do it at all.

Hope you get a chance to catch it. Sportsman Channel airtimes can be found here - http://onyourownadventures.com/tvshow.php

I think that the best part of this episode, beside the elk that you and your son share, is the fact that you are demonstrating that where there is a will, there is a way. Just because it is landlocked, doesn't mean you can't get to it.

Got it DVRd for tonight, can't wait to see another episode. Fresh Tracks has quickly become the show I watch first each week.

My uncle Buzz, who was a world war II veteran , taught me at an early age that with elk you shoot until their down, then shoot again. I like the fact that your following that technique..Great show.

Great show, question with camp so far away and two bulls down did you hike back to camp and move it to the bulls then have the heli pick you up at the bulls?

Awesome show tonight! Really got me excited to hunt with my son this fall. Thanks again for a great show tonight.

Finally caught fresh tracks tonight (no dvr). Good show and as a dad with two boys I could feel your sincerity talking about enjoying time with your son again. My oldest still has a couple years before other things start taking his time up and I'm thankful for every minute we spend together.

I think we all have a few years when we get busy but the outdoors brings us all back together. My dad and I spend an easy 40-50 days a year hunting/fishing together but I know that won't last forever.

Randy,

Almost cried when you mentioned withdrawal with your son. My boy is in Dallas and while I'm so very proud of him the outdoor experiences are never the same without him. Hoping next year he will have vacation so he can come home to chase elk.

Great show and it is about loved ones success or not.

When is the Buf hunt? p.s when you finally draw Utah Buf I call shotgun

Back