Montana Decoy

MTHunter1321

I looking at getting an elk decoy set up for archery season and am just curious if anyone on here has any recommendations as to which set up they prefer. I've heard good things about the Miss September. The Elk Rump is also appealing due to its slightly smaller pack size. If you were to buy one to use in a variety of different terrain, which would you choose? Thanks!

I looking at getting an elk decoy set up for archery season and am just curious if anyone on here has any recommendations as to which set up they prefer. I've heard good things about the Miss September. The Elk Rump is also appealing due to its slightly smaller pack size. If you were to buy one to use in a variety of different terrain, which would you choose? Thanks!

HAHA you just said that elk rumps look appealing! Good thing hunting season is just around the corner as I think we are all going a little crazy.... :D But to answer your question the Miss sept is light and easy to deploy!

I bought the Fred Eichler model of the Montana Decoy. (It's a Cow Elk, sort of quartering into you). At the time, it retailed for a bit more than some of the other styles/models, however I found mine on Ebay brand new/in box for $79.00.
I set it up in front of some pines and took a look at it. It was extremely realistic at about 20 yards away. You can deploy it by hanging it from some paracord and clips, or use the shock corded poles to insert into it.
This will be my first year using it, so we'll see what happens. Where I'm hunting at, I have no concerns about being behind it. I think if you had an Elk coming to it, with a partner ready to ambush the Elk, just holding it up, and subtlety moving it around slowly, it might just bring them in.
Likes: very realistic, lightweight, easy to pack, & it just may work!
Dislikes: takes time to deploy and then put away. The head is floppy without being supported, so you can't just whip it out and hold it up, unless you're hanging on the to head.

As for the Elk rump decoys, why invest in a decoy, when you can just moon a Bull with your butt. They look about the same....

I see that there is a "limited" model currently on Camofire called the Cowgirl that's quartered away and looking away for $77 that looks pretty similar to the Miss September

The "Cowgirl" on Camofire looks pretty good, and the price is way below the other styles/models.

I also think the one on camofire is very nice!
I own the rump style and really like it. Have been told by others that it looks very real in the field.

Back