Late season tents

Looking for recommendations on a tent for late season elk hunting in Montana. Something that will stay comfortable in extreme winds and heavy snows.

Needs to be big enough for four people and gear. I've been looking at all the options and wondering if anyone chooses a bell tent over a traditional wall tent. Looks like the canvas is lighter but the angle helps with snow. The fact that they're cheaper is appealing and easier to set up but I am not sure they'll take the winds and cold as well.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks John! I was looking at the kodiaks and wondering how they compare to something like a Davis tent in very cold windy conditions like we experienced here in the late season. Temps to negative 20 and 50 mph winds. Conditions so severe that they are scary.

Also want to acknowledge that I just realized my question was inspired by a recent post that sent me down this rabbit hole. Maybe a little redundant but what else do we have to do in the off season anyway?

I also use a Kodiak 10X14 flexbow tent and have camped in it with temps as low as -20 with ridiculous winds. Held up just fine. I use a buddy heater with the extension hose that's hooked up to a 20lb propane tank outside the tent. Keeps the tent nice and toasty. The only caveat for you is that 4 people in it would be too many, IMO, given all the gear.

I have a Kodiak and it holds the wind just fine. I don’t think they would be comfortable with 4 guys. Gritty just did a Podcast With Wilderness Ridge about Beau’s tents. Really impressed with what they put it thru and how it has performed. It’s worth the hour listen if you’re serious about buying a tent.

@Big Fin did one too I think and I hear promo code Randy get you a free lama ride with purchase….🙂

I’ve used Davis Tent 14x16 in northern MN up until late November working up there and living/hunting in them since 2019 in Montana. I’ve had others like Montana Canvas, the tent shop, but Davis makes a really good high quality tent. I’ve thought about selling mine due to the large size and only hunting with 2/3 of us, but decided to keep it. I put a rain fly over it and have a bigger size wood stove. It does take up a lot of space, but super comfortable when set up and a good source of dry firewood.

I would consider finding a spot on the Lee side of a natural wind block and put your stove on the downwind side.

Another option is the 10 man artic army tent. They are super heavy but one guy can set them up. They have a liner, but do have condensation issues.

I also have the Kodiak and have used mine down to -20 F with high winds, but not 50 mph. It has always done well. Same as others, I use a big buddy and 20 lb bottle outside. I agree with @Addicting it will be small with 4 guys. I use my 10x14 with 2 guys with big cots and it is perfect. Short, small cots you could do 4, but with gear would be tight. Besides the tent Bo has put out, I would also look at the canvas spike tents and the similar Cabela's alaknak for 4 guys. I prefer the canvas tent to the alaknak personally. My buddy has an alaknak I've spent quite a bit of time in and it condensates pretty bad, otherwise it is pretty nice. Reliable Tent out of Billings builds several sizes of spike tent.

I love my Kodiak Canvas but the only bad thing is if it rains or snows and it gets wet when it is time to take it down and head home, mildew is a definite problem. I sometimes have a 2 or 3 day trip home and I find myself having to take it out of the truck every night and spreading it out to try to get it dry. Kind of tough in a hotel room. It did mildew a little bit one time but I was able to scrub it off when I got home.

I love my Kodiak Canvas but the only bad thing is if it rains or snows and it gets wet when it is time to take it down and head home, mildew is a definite problem. I sometimes have a 2 or 3 day trip home and I find myself having to take it out of the truck every night and spreading it out to try to get it dry. Kind of tough in a hotel room. It did mildew a little bit one time but I was able to scrub it off when I got home.
I set mine up as soon as I get home to avoid this. It might get more rain and snow on it, but it will totally dry out eventually for packing.

That will be an issue with any canvas tent. I do same as Cush, simply set it up when you get home and allow it to completely dry out before packing it for storage.

Back