Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana D & E this week??

Guess I shouldn’t bitch about FWP to much as they’ve been pretty good to my wife and I. Last year she had a 700 rifle bull tag in her pocket and this year I get to head there with one in mine!

There will be a write up on that hunt right?

No go on the NR Big Game Combo for me with one point. Better luck next year. Fingers crossed on WY but with no points there since I drew last year, probably going OTC in CO this year!!

Just saw an email from Montana FWP that the drawing was complete. Non-resident applications were up 29.52%...
Wow. I see resident hunting apps were up 12%.

Now let's step back and think about what this means for subsequent years if the increase is only a quarter of that annually moving forward, and where we are headed. Good grief.

#3Rs

Now let's step back and think about what this means for subsequent years if the increase is only a quarter of that annually moving forward, and where we are headed. Good grief.

#3Rs
I know, lets extend the season to allow muzzleloaders...spread people out.

So if you buy the preference point at time of draw and are not selected for the elk combo but get a (released) elk combo then you lose the preference point? If that is the case how do I ever get to actually enter the limited entry draw? My account shows successsful elk combo (released) but also shows no preference points. Last year I did not buy the preference point but also got a (released elk combo). Just trying to figure things out for future years apps. Not worth the extra $50 if I never make it to the limited entry draw...
Preference points are just for the NR combo (elk, deer, or deer and elk) you need to be putting in for bonus points to draw LE units.

And yes if you get a released tag you lose your PP as they still use the PP on the released tag drawing.

#3Rs
As the hunting on public land, that is managed for opportunity, declines....more hunters are putting their hopes on drawing a permit in areas that have "wildlife" management.

"Good grief" sums it up very well.

#3Rs
People keep saying NRs shouldn't be complaining and if they don't like it they should just move to the state and become a resident. They should be careful what they wish for.... Everyone is going to feel the effects of a growing western hunting population.

*googles MT jobs

People keep saying NRs shouldn't be complaining and if they don't like it they should just move to the state and become a resident. They should be careful what they wish for.... Everyone is going to feel the effects of a growing western hunting population.

*googles MT jobs

This is exactly my thoughts don't want to derail this thread though. But, seems like a resident draw is needed? I know it wouldn't be popular by a lot of people but the NR have been capped for 15years. It would be cool to be able to go to the grocery store and buy a $20 elk tag and be guaranteed it every year.

On the same token I feel very great full for the state of Montana and being lucky enough to have hunted it 8 out of 8 years.

Good luck everyone this fall!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back