Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Corner Crossing Updated?

Also, the concept that residents should be kept from legally accessing something that is their right because some will overstep their boundaries is ridiculous.

By that logic, we should not allow outfitted hunting since some guides and outfitters violate the law.

Shut down the grocery stores because some people shoplift.

Close down the highways because some folks speed and drive drunk.

If a landowner who owns checkerboard is that concerned about someone shooting a 210” unicorn five feet on his property then perhaps he should be posting his property with orange painted fence posts every 100 feet.

There’s plenty of room for improvement in the area of human behavior when it comes to hunter ethics. There’s also plenty of room for improvement In nearly every aspect of human behavior. That includes landowners, outfitters, clergymen, and law enforcement officers.
Regarding human behavior, I was thinking the same thing Gerald. One thought came to mind....there needs to be a plan to resolving this issue. Corner crossing needs to come after we have agreement on license allocation which needs to come after we agree on population measurement.

I have a tough time believing corner crossing would ruin the populations and trophy quality in every spot. I'm sure the sections that are be within a mile or two hiking would see a large increase in pressure but there are public sections that are so many miles I have a hard time believing many people would get into them. I can think of one spot I'd love to corner cross but even to get to the point where you would do it is 12 miles from the nearest road.

one would think outfitters would love the idea of corner crossing. if the piddly little public sections are gonna get piss pounded as hard as they say they will all their own little private sections in the checkerboard should become even more saturated with unicorns pushed off public.

one would think outfitters would love the idea of corner crossing. if the piddly little public sections are gonna get piss pounded as hard as they say they will all their own little private sections in the checkerboard should become even more saturated with unicorns pushed off public.
They don’t like it because you are not beholden to them in that scenario.

When those owners bought, they got something for nothing, exclusive access to public lands. Corner crossing gives back the value of public lands to you and I, to the detriment of landowners who have wrongfully, IMO, locked us out of our lands. Landowners owe the public damages, not vice versa.

One thing we ALL need to admit, were corner hopping legalized it’d only take about 2 weeks and those parcels/sections would be pretty much decimated by the public. Pretty much like every other publicly accessible acre.
So why not spread hunter density out while also limiting/managing the tags allocated? There's literally millions of acres of public that is currently inaccessible via checkerboard that would attract plenty of hunters to spread them out off of the currently accessible pieces. Instead of preserving the resource for future generations, you instead suggest that landowners buy the checkerboard? I just don't track.

So why not spread hunter density out while also limiting/managing the tags allocated? There's literally millions of acres of public that is currently inaccessible via checkerboard that would attract plenty of hunters to spread them out off of the currently accessible pieces. Instead of preserving the resource for future generations, you instead suggest that landowners buy the checkerboard? I just don't track.
If the tags/license/hunters were limited/restricted on accessible lands like they are on private lands we’d not be having this discussion.

If the tags/license/hunters were limited/restricted on accessible lands like they are on private lands we’d not be having this discussion.
I agree to a degree about this statement however public lands are just that…..public anyone that wants to recreate on public lands should have access to them and be able to enjoying them for whatever reasons they want! I also believe hunting on public needs restricted/managed.

I have a tough time believing corner crossing would ruin the populations and trophy quality in every spot. I'm sure the sections that are be within a mile or two hiking would see a large increase in pressure but there are public sections that are so many miles I have a hard time believing many people would get into them. I can think of one spot I'd love to corner cross but even to get to the point where you would do it is 12 miles from the nearest road.
I have found that people will go the extra mile if there is even a slightly better chance of a quality hunt. Just look what happen to the public land Randy few into. Much more expensive than walking a few miles, yet plenty of people do it.
Near me there is a long narrow strip of public where the landowner got the county road access shut down. Access was reestablished a few years later and the hunting was fabulous, but in a few short years even the sections 5 miles in are hunted hard.
Near me is also some public with only float in access. To hunt there requires some commitment above and beyond most back country hunting, yet there is often two or three cars at the access point and almost never none.

I agree to a degree about this statement however public lands are just that…..public anyone that wants to recreate on public lands should have access to them and be able to enjoying them for whatever reasons they want! I also believe hunting on public needs restricted/managed.
If the land is legally accessible I agree. If you have to corner cross/force access across private then I don’t agree. I’ve been reading up on case law, it is clear that corner crossing is an illegal way to gain access.
This puts us back to finding a way in incentivize landowners into allowing access.

If the land is legally accessible I agree. If you have to corner cross/force access across private then I don’t agree. I’ve been reading up on case law, it is clear that corner crossing is an illegal way to gain access.
This puts us back to finding a way in incentivize landowners into allowing access.

Are you stating this as it’s your opinion that corner crossing is clearly illegal or making a statement of legal fact that corner crossing is illegal? Care to share the cases that prove corner crossing is in fact illegal?

The most recent case I am aware of personally seems to support that the exact opposite of your claim is true.

I have found that people will go the extra mile if there is even a slightly better chance of a quality hunt. Just look what happen to the public land Randy few into. Much more expensive than walking a few miles, yet plenty of people do it.
Near me there is a long narrow strip of public where the landowner got the county road access shut down. Access was reestablished a few years later and the hunting was fabulous, but in a few short years even the sections 5 miles in are hunted hard.
Near me is also some public with only float in access. To hunt there requires some commitment above and beyond most back country hunting, yet there is often two or three cars at the access point and almost never none.
You must have a lot of serious hunters around your parts. I've hunted some of the most pressured units for elk in the state and once I'm 2 or 3 miles from the trail head I rarely see anyone. The spot you mentioned where people float into doesn't surprise me, sure its a time investment but it doesn't require much physical effort.

You must have a lot of serious hunters around your parts. I've hunted some of the most pressured units for elk in the state and once I'm 2 or 3 miles from the trail head I rarely see anyone. The spot you mentioned where people float into doesn't surprise me, sure its a time investment but it doesn't require much physical effort.
The float isn't too tuff, till you have to row back upstream to your truck with a 30-mph headwind.

The float isn't too tuff, till you have to row back upstream to your truck with a 30-mph headwind.
Or float/drag to the bridge.

Yet those tags/license/hunters that you seem to think are restricted on private land are still valid, and hunting, the checkerboard public. Kind of hypocritical that you can take your clients on that public land, but disagree with others having the same access via corner crossing, no? Unless you were required to outfit on private land and private land only, your stance is laughably skewed.

Tip over and elk in the mostly likely part of that BLM and that float trip turns into a trip just like if you are in the mountains plus floating/dragging a boat.

Well I'm glad we put this issue to bed. Thanks for reading up on case law! And to think of all the time, trouble, and money wasted on resolving this issue when all we had to do was ask you. I feel so foolish now.

the Dept is going to have to quit managing people and start managing wildlife.
I'm by far not an expert on the topic of all the issues with wildlife management in Mt., but I do follow these threads and engage in discussions with some local friends to try to educate myself on all the complexities with elk and deer management.
Getting my evening read in, I can't help but to appreciate Eric's comment, but I'm a dumb it down kind of guy.

I'm by far not an expert on the topic of all the issues with wildlife management in Mt., but I do follow these threads and engage in discussions with some local friends to try to educate myself on all the complexities with elk and deer management.
Getting my evening read in, I can't help but to appreciate Eric's comment, but I'm a dumb it down kind of guy.
FWP has managed socially instead of biologically. It has been all about opportunity and what makes the most revenue (license sales). If elk/deer were managed biologically we’d have been in a limited draw years ago.

Back