MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana antelope draw results

43 years ago, which was my point in my comment. It is a fantasy now. To think we can go back to the "good ol' days" simply isn't realistic. There were about 787,000 people total living in MT in 1980, and 1.1 million now. You're talking about long before the internet started helping nonresident hunters get tags for western states, YouTube videos showing how great antelope hunting is, mapping technology showing people where they can hunt, and at least two more generations of hunters hit the landscape. Not to mention advances in agricultural technology, changes in climate, and so many other factors. Further, when I talk with my family that lived in Baker back in the 60s and 70s, antelope were seen as more of a pest than a resource, and their meat wasn't considered the best. Now, antelope hunting is a commodity that can be monetized like everything else.

So even though it may have been that way once, there is no going back. Change is inevitable, so let's work with what we have now.
No, we can't back in time. But we can go back to individual unit tags not region wide tags.
That would help everyone, public land pressure, landowner hunter fatigue and allow the tag holders to have a more enjoyable experience.

That was my point. Some here are using the good old days as the standard to compare with today's management, and that will always be a disappointing and futile comparison. Management needs to be assessed by today's standards, not yesteryear's.
Correct. But I think the issue many are taking who have been through the good times feel like we’re still managing basically the exact same way as when there were more animals, fewer people, and much less demand, along with much inferior technology back then in regards to hunting. For instance, not to beat a dead horse, but with way less mule deer on the landscape statewide and way more hunters, along with much better technology for hunt planning, shooting, etc., the management for antlered mule deer is almost completely unchanged and mostly too little too late for antlerless. Although there are some positives recently for muley does.

Shifting baseline. Problem is you eventually have nothing on public.
Your comment doesn't make sense. How would having less hunters in a unit cause there to be no animals on public? less hunters= less pressure.

Your comment doesn't make sense. How would having less hunters in a unit cause there to be no animals on public? less hunters= less pressure.
I am saying that if you do what elky says and never look back at management that worked better, then you get progressively worse. Which just happens to be how mtfwp manages game for the most part.

I totally agree with trying what worked better in the past.

I am saying that if you do what elky says and never look back at management that worked better, then you get progressively worse. Which just happens to be how mtfwp manages game for the most part.

I totally agree with trying what worked better in the past.
Whereas I would argue that shifting baseline theory fails to take into account far too many factors, and only applies if you are shifting the baseline (arguably just accepting worse conditions over time) while all other factors remain the same.

43 years ago, which was my point in my comment. It is a fantasy now. To think we can go back to the "good ol' days" simply isn't realistic. There were about 787,000 people total living in MT in 1980, and 1.1 million now. You're talking about long before the internet started helping nonresident hunters get tags for western states, YouTube videos showing how great antelope hunting is, mapping technology showing people where they can hunt, and at least two more generations of hunters hit the landscape. Not to mention advances in agricultural technology, changes in climate, and so many other factors. Further, when I talk with my family that lived in Baker back in the 60s and 70s, antelope were seen as more of a pest than a resource, and their meat wasn't considered the best. Now, antelope hunting is a commodity that can be monetized like everything else.

So even though it may have been that way once, there is no going back. Change is inevitable, so let's work with what we have now.
That is why I said it was no fantasy. Yes we are never getting back to the"good ol' days". Which brings me to the next point. We can not continue to hunt like we did in the good ol days or hunting public is going to continue spiraling down. I think there was good arguments to combine some of the old antelope units in region 7 into bigger units. Consolidating all the antelope tags in region seven in to one unit was a mistake. Issuing tags and letting hunters disperse themselves is one of the good old days practices that just will not work with today's reality.

Last edited:
According the FWP’s website the window to sign up for surplus antelope tags starts August 9th so should have results before then at the latest.
Got it, I thought maybe you had inside info that it was for sure happening 8/8.
I was gonna say, that’s right at the end of their window.

Hopefully they’ll do it tomorrow, but I have a feeling they’ll do it on a Monday like they did with this year’s nonresident combos and deer/elk permits.

It states, in the Montana regulations, that the draw will be early August. Last few yrs. has been second week or so. This, is what I am getting at. The regulations are also online.
Also, please reread my previous comment. It stated I believe it will be late. Late? Yes! MTG

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back