MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Antelope 2020 Draw Results

Your second and third choice picks will only be an option if you apply for a unit that doesn’t have as many first choice applicants as there are tags available.

If you are applying second choice for a unit that gives out 250 tags and last years draw info showed 500 apps, that unit will not be drawn second choice.
If you apply second choice for a unit with 500 tags and 250 first choice apps you do have a chance.

In almost every situation it’s only your first choice that gives you a chance for an either sex general season antelope tag.

Gotcha. But that raises a question. My second choice was only 74% successful draw (no chance, if I understand you correctly), but my third choice was 100% last year (550-20). What is the deciding factor in that situation? Number of other applicants? Points? Do 3rd choices ever actually draw for people?

I think the problem may lie less in FWP, more in delivery. I’ve had numerous issues with UPS, FedEx, and USPS in recent times, like the last couple months. Currently waiting for a package from 3riversarchery, it’s been in Billings, MT for the past 5 days.

Similar issues with FedEx shipping a spotting scope from AZ, I took the day off that it was supposed to arrive, it didn’t a actually show up until three days later, the status kept changing every day.

Weird times.

Well I could see shipping wait times but my fiances refund check showed up today for the antelope she did not get. Sooooo.. maybe it takes longer to print a tag then a check?

Well I could see shipping wait times but my fiances refund check showed up today for the antelope she did not get. Sooooo.. maybe it takes longer to print a tag then a check?
At least you drew. The unit I have hunted since a kid with boring regularity is now under 30% to draw. Yeah, we need more hunters. mtmuley

Gotcha. But that raises a question. My second choice was only 74% successful draw (no chance, if I understand you correctly), but my third choice was 100% last year (550-20). What is the deciding factor in that situation? Number of other applicants? Points? Do 3rd choices ever actually draw for people?
Potentially, but by being a third choice all second choice apps for the unit would be in front of you.

Has anyone gotten there lope tag in the mail ? I don't know wtf FWP is doing with these tags but I haven't gotten mine. They mailed my other tags so I assume my antelope would be mailed as well but maybe not? I suppose I can draw one up with a crayon if need be. What a joke

I haven't received mine yet. NR R7 tag.

I don't remember the bonus tags for 704/705 being offered the last time I drew in MT. Is that new this year?
That is new for this year, I drew a region 7 tag and got the option for the additional doe tag. The last few years that has not happened. I just think its kind of odd to only allow the successful tag holders to buy another tag and not offer them to the people who were unsuccessful in the main draw.

That is new for this year, I drew a region 7 tag and got the option for the additional doe tag. The last few years that has not happened. I just think its kind of odd to only allow the successful tag holders to buy another tag and not offer them to the people who were unsuccessful in the main draw.

Because region 7 is the middle of BFE. Might as well give the tags to people who already have a reason to head out that way and not try to get someone to travel all that way for a doe antelope.

Because region 7 is the middle of BFE. Might as well give the tags to people who already have a reason to head out that way and not try to get someone to travel all that way for a doe antelope.
That’s my thought exactly.

These extra doe tags were common 12+ years ago when there were 13k+ A tags allotted. My buddy from ND loved coming out to shoot three pronghorn in one trip. He loves to pull the trigger. He also loves the meat, as do I.

MT FWP used to do this years ago. As the antelope population grew, this was switched to OTC doe/fawn opportunities, up to three for region-7 as I recall. The antelope population of the south units, 704 & 705, was not hit as hard by winter kill of a few years back. Offering the additional doe/fawn tags to successful tag holders, while limiting hunter numbers, should increase the harvest.

My wife has been successful in drawing Region-7 antelope tags for the last 20+ years. She has enjoyed having an extra doe/fawn tag a time or two. We always thought that having a loper tag available while looking for deer was a win-win. Last year we both were successful in drawing the either sex and doe/fawn tags but never notched a tag as we decided to hunt deer elsewhere.

This year, we both drew either sex tags and took advantage of purchasing the additional doe/fawn tag opportunity. Should be a fun as we plan on hunting the opening week, as again, we will be hunting deer in another area of the state.

Also, we have not seen the tags in our mailbox yet!

Potentially, but by being a third choice all second choice apps for the unit would be in front of you.

Ah. So what I've gathered here is that I should apply in descending order of successful draws from last season. I did like 55%, 74%, 100%. Pretty much the opposite. Yeah, that sounds like something I'd do.

Now, would the use of points change any of that or encourage some other kind of rethinking? I'll have some points for next application and I'm wondering if there's a good strategy for using them. I'm not necessarily into the specialty hunt thing (more of a meat in the freezer guy), so I'd basically only be using them for antelope.

Ah. So what I've gathered here is that I should apply in descending order of successful draws from last season. I did like 55%, 74%, 100%. Pretty much the opposite. Yeah, that sounds like something I'd do.

Now, would the use of points change any of that or encourage some other kind of rethinking? I'll have some points for next application and I'm wondering if there's a good strategy for using them. I'm not necessarily into the specialty hunt thing (more of a meat in the freezer guy), so I'd basically only be using them for antelope.
Points will help on your first choice only. Any tag drawn second or third choice does not use your points.
Keep in mind, many of the region 5 and region 4 units have better draw odds because of a higher percentage of private land than the region 3 and region 7. It can be great for drawing a tag but frustrating finding a place to hunt if you haven’t secured permission. In many cases Block Management or limited public parcels receive a lot of pressure.

These are broad brush statements and exceptions do apply. But, if a unit has 100% draw odds there is usually a reason why.

Points will help on your first choice only. Any tag drawn second or third choice does not use your points.
Keep in mind, many of the region 5 and region 4 units have better draw odds because of a higher percentage of private land than the region 3 and region 7. It can be great for drawing a tag but frustrating finding a place to hunt if you haven’t secured permission. In many cases Block Management or limited public parcels receive a lot of pressure.

These are broad brush statements and exceptions do apply. But, if a unit has 100% draw odds there is usually a reason why.

I appreciate ya!

I call region 3 headquarters yesterday asking where my Antelope tag was, they said it will come in the Mail. Couldn't give me a date when. I then asked about printing my own, he said no they are mailing them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back