Montana Antelope 2020 Draw Results

Do you guys know, is FWP still mailing out tags still like they did the Deer/Elk tags this year or have they moved to the print your own tag situation on these pronghorn licenses?

Do you guys know, is FWP still mailing out tags still like they did the Deer/Elk tags this year or have they moved to the print your own tag situation on these pronghorn licenses?
You can ask that they mail it to you, but they are just printed on plain white paper. You're better off printing your own and laminating it.

Drew a R4 rifle 'lope tag and a "b" 'lope for same area. First special draw I've ever pulled. Planning on dragging the wife along for evening and weekend hunts. My kids drew late season MD tags on either side of the interstate, that will be interesting. A long but possibly lower pressure season awaits!
I also drew a R4 tag for Antelope and B tag for the same area. I've never hunted Antelope so this will be new for me. I might drive out there during archery season to scout it out.

I am just going to stiffen my tags up with some clear packing tape on either side. Do 'they' still make laminating machine these days?

I was hoping to snag another B tag but biologist reports aren't great so I definitely understand the cuts.

Just so I am clear, no antelope tags of any kind are available as 'surplus', which is why these are the only options to choose from when logging in today?
I had it on the calendar that today was the antelope surplus registration; it would be helpful if FWP listed antelope and a big "UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME" or something....well, I am going to go laminate some other tags and put them in my backcountry ultralight 3-ring binder/tag holder....

1597243859134.png

Just so I am clear, no antelope tags of any kind are available as 'surplus', which is why these are the only options to choose from when logging in today?
I had it on the calendar that today was the antelope surplus registration; it would be helpful if FWP listed antelope and a big "UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME" or something....well, I am going to go laminate some other tags and put them in my backcountry ultralight 3-ring binder/tag holder....

View attachment 150159
Correct. I don't see the need for them to state the obvious since not listed in the surplus list should equal unavailable.

I am just going to stiffen my tags up with some clear packing tape on either side. Do 'they' still make laminating machine these days?
Yeah packing tape should make them tougher. I'm not sure laminating machines exist outside of libraries and elementary schools.

Well looks like I am going to have fun in R7 this season. Not only did I draw my either sex tag, but also drew a antelope doe tag and was also able to pick up an antelope doe/fawn b tag today for 704/705. I've talked to a few people who did not draw a R7 tag this year, guess the applications were up. I'm feeling pretty fortunate and can't wait to bring 3 antelope back, it's ranks right up there on my "fun dial", sure look forward to going east every Columbus day weekend in Oct. (y)

I'm new hunter in MT (resident) and I didn't draw an antelope tag this year. Is there any kind of strategy to use when applying? I didn't have/use points or anything, and I wasn't sure if there was a "smart" way to pick and choose when applying. I'm aware of the successful draw percentages and everything, I just don't know how the actual process of applying and being successfully drawn works. I called FWP licensing and didn't get much helpful info out of them (which I thought was kind of odd I usually have good experiences with FWP). I applied first choice to region 3 (don't remember the unit), 2nd to region 7, and 3rd to region 5. Again, didn't have any points or anything, but I think the page said that 2nd choice should be used for units that have higher/highest draw percentages, so I chose 007-20. Is that not right? Did I need to use points? If so, what's the right amount? Did I not choose in the right order? Were there just an extra ton of applications for a season that was going to have fewer harvests in the first place? I don't know.

I sure would appreciate some guidance on this, if it's available. Montana's a little confusing to this Texas fella. Here's me applying for an antelope tag in MT:

1597969596643.png

I've heard from quite a few of my Montana resident friends that they didn't draw r7 tags. Interesting.
Yeah, my son did not draw his A tag, but drew a doe tag....weird! Seems like the narrative for this year. I’ve heard all kinds of reasons why, but in all honesty, if I dropped the vodka drink I’m holding in my hand and it fell to the ceiling, it wouldn’t surprise me too much this year.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten there lope tag in the mail ? I don't know wtf FWP is doing with these tags but I haven't gotten mine. They mailed my other tags so I assume my antelope would be mailed as well but maybe not? I suppose I can draw one up with a crayon if need be. What a joke

I'm new hunter in MT (resident) and I didn't draw an antelope tag this year. Is there any kind of strategy to use when applying? I didn't have/use points or anything, and I wasn't sure if there was a "smart" way to pick and choose when applying. I'm aware of the successful draw percentages and everything, I just don't know how the actual process of applying and being successfully drawn works. I called FWP licensing and didn't get much helpful info out of them (which I thought was kind of odd I usually have good experiences with FWP). I applied first choice to region 3 (don't remember the unit), 2nd to region 7, and 3rd to region 5. Again, didn't have any points or anything, but I think the page said that 2nd choice should be used for units that have higher/highest draw percentages, so I chose 007-20. Is that not right? Did I need to use points? If so, what's the right amount? Did I not choose in the right order? Were there just an extra ton of applications for a season that was going to have fewer harvests in the first place? I don't know.

I sure would appreciate some guidance on this, if it's available. Montana's a little confusing to this Texas fella. Here's me applying for an antelope tag in MT:

View attachment 151066
Your second and third choice picks will only be an option if you apply for a unit that doesn’t have as many first choice applicants as there are tags available.

If you are applying second choice for a unit that gives out 250 tags and last years draw info showed 500 apps, that unit will not be drawn second choice.
If you apply second choice for a unit with 500 tags and 250 first choice apps you do have a chance.

In almost every situation it’s only your first choice that gives you a chance for an either sex general season antelope tag.

Has anyone gotten there lope tag in the mail ? I don't know wtf FWP is doing with these tags but I haven't gotten mine. They mailed my other tags so I assume my antelope would be mailed as well but maybe not? I suppose I can draw one up with a crayon if need be. What a joke
I think the problem may lie less in FWP, more in delivery. I’ve had numerous issues with UPS, FedEx, and USPS in recent times, like the last couple months. Currently waiting for a package from 3riversarchery, it’s been in Billings, MT for the past 5 days.

Similar issues with FedEx shipping a spotting scope from AZ, I took the day off that it was supposed to arrive, it didn’t a actually show up until three days later, the status kept changing every day.

Weird times.

I'm still waiting on my antelope B tag. I didn't draw my buck tag but did draw a doe tag. Hopefully it gets here soon. I know it took a while for my deer tag to arrive.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back