Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana 2019 Spring Bear Season

Serious taxidermy question... what is the difference between a tanned hide for mount versus rug versus a throw.

For instance if I send in my hide to USA Foxx or Moyle and Mink to just be tanned, how would that final product be different than what my taxidermist would get back from a tanner to do a mount or rug?

Well headed out in the early afternoon tomarrow time to find us a Bear !

It's been nice looking at all your bears you guys have been getting but it's time to get one over this way !! Lol

MT.PERCHMAN

Congrads to you !!
It seems to us that most color phase bears we have seen are smaller not sure why .

MT.PERCHMAN
Yes I expect they tend to be selected for by hunters. An alternative would be some sort of recessive morphological gene that is expressed concurrently with lighter colored hair; this seems unlikely. On top of it all, areas where lighter colored bears tend to be more prolific are less productive biomass environments in general. Maybe some biologist will chime in.

Serious taxidermy question... what is the difference between a tanned hide for mount versus rug versus a throw.

For instance if I send in my hide to USA Foxx or Moyle and Mink to just be tanned, how would that final product be different than what my taxidermist would get back from a tanner to do a mount or rug?
Based on my understanding what you'd get back from Moyle would be the same thing the taxi would get. He would just soak it and stretch, shape, etc. to rug it or what have you.

Based on my understanding what you'd get back from Moyle would be the same thing the taxi would get. He would just soak it and stretch, shape, etc. to rug it or what have you.

Interesting... I read somewhere tanned hides had a shelf life and the best way to preserve something for future use was to tan and then freezer. I wonder if as it ages it just dries out to much to be soaked and stretched.

As far as color goes on why some bears are smaller i believe the blonde gene has something to do with the size of the bear. Now on the other hand I have seen some absolute jumbo chocolates and cinnamon boars over the years and clearly elk magnets bear this season from idaho does not support a color phase stunted growth issue. That thing was a smoker. A true no brainer bear IMO.

To answer the tanned hide question I take all my stuff to one taxidermist he's also the local tanner for many many taxidermist around montana and wyoming. He's never said anything about the life of a hide but I am sure they don't last forever, some are going to last longer than other it just depends what is in the witches brew when they are treating the hide and how they were handled after they were skinned. Lots of variables in the equation for sure. I have quite a few bears just "tanned" they're not the soft floppy throw tan but they are flimsy enough to drape over a couch or chest. I don't know about a shelf life for just a "tanned" bear, however I wouldn't think it would be any different than a rug. I am sure in 25 more years neither of them are going to look great but who knows.

I am itching to get back out this weekend, having a 14 inch dump in the hole on tuesday wasn't a welcome sight but it could be a benefit since it is melting fast. i just hope I don't have too itchy of a trigger finger. I wouldn't mind having a tag in June and slip into some backcountry area or a fall tag. Looking for a fatty munching on pine nuts in October during my Mountain Goat hunt.:ROFLMAO:

To answer the tanned hide question I take all my stuff to one taxidermist he's also the local tanner for many many taxidermist around montana and wyoming. He's never said anything about the life of a hide but I am sure they don't last forever, some are going to last longer than other it just depends what is in the witches brew when they are treating the hide and how they were handled after they were skinned. Lots of variables in the equation for sure. I have quite a few bears just "tanned" they're not the soft floppy throw tan but they are flimsy enough to drape over a couch or chest. I don't know about a shelf life for just a "tanned" bear, however I wouldn't think it would be any different than a rug. I am sure in 25 more years neither of them are going to look great but who knows.

By shelf life I mean from tan to mount. Have you every seen or heard of like a soft tan or premium tan for a bear? Like something that is really soft... or are bear hides just too thick for that. I have a tanned hide as you described, soft enough to drape over a couch or something... but nothing like the beaver I've had tanned.

Interesting... I read somewhere tanned hides had a shelf life and the best way to preserve something for future use was to tan and then freezer. I wonder if as it ages it just dries out to much to be soaked and stretched.
I believe so yes. I had a bear tanned at Moyle and I asked a taxidermist (Lynn Stewart in Dubois, WY) roughly how long I might have to get a rug done if I decided I wanted one. He suggested that 5-ish years might be an approximate window, depending of course on the local environment and how it was stored. That said, if you have someone do the fleshing and shipping to a tannery, they may not be quite as careful if they know you're just getting it tanned and not mounted. I have this assertion about a certain local guy.

I believe so yes. I had a bear tanned at Moyle and I asked a taxidermist (Lynn Stewart in Dubois, WY) roughly how long I might have to get a rug done if I decided I wanted one. He suggested that 5-ish years might be an approximate window, depending of course on the local environment and how it was stored. That said, if you have someone do the fleshing and shipping to a tannery, they may not be quite as careful if they know you're just getting it tanned and not mounted. I have this assertion about a certain local guy.

Have a family friend, non-hunter, who had inquired about getting a bear rug... was thinking I might get my hide tanned, but leave myself the option of offering him the hide to rug, if he pays for everything. Given that rugs are expensive I think it would be better for him to see the hide tanned first before he puts his money down... and I definitely don't want another rug.

By shelf life I mean from tan to mount. Have you every seen or heard of like a soft tan or premium tan for a bear? Like something that is really soft... or are bear hides just too thick for that. I have a tanned hide as you described, soft enough to drape over a couch or something... but nothing like the beaver I've had tanned.
My brother in law has one done its a "soft throw tan" not sure what the proper lingo is but it is a very nice hide very soft and flimsy. Spent some mula to get it done, I believe a tannery in Great Falls did it. I am sure that as long as a guy isn't throwing it around and playing with it all the time they should last a long time.

Probably cheaper to pay your deductible than to pay for a NR tag...
It was but the deductible was only $50.
I take my hides to the taxidermist just to get tanned. Then when I want to rug it he only charges the difference.

We have seen 8 bears in the last couple weeks and all have been smaller color phases. The last 5 we have killed have all been blonde, on the average to smaller size, but the bio "rough" aged a couple of them at 8+ years. I have one big chocolate but have yet to find a jumbo blonde or cinnamon

Reactions: LCH
4 bears tonight, had the boar dead to rights with the rifle but I pulled off him and grabbed the bow snuck in to high. He fed down the ridge from where I thought he'd be. Creeping around looking for him I found him below me at 25 no shot presented and he picked me off....... needless to say it was fun and exciting and a ball buster all in a split second. Back at it tomorrow, still on the hunt for Mr. Right though haven't seen a no brainer in a few seasons when I have a tag in my pocket.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back